Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Inspector Rick
I rule the local playground

Default When pickup bball gets way too intense!

I wanna hear yours guys input on this. Here's a little back story. My cousin and I who occasionally posts here (Maestro33) have been hoopin together for over a decade now. Point blank we have wicked chemistry together. He plays the Pippen role and I try to Jordan's everyone's ass and we win a helluva lot of games because of it.

Our pickup games have a good mix of guys, some highschool boys, people in their 20's (I'm 25) and even some dudes in their 40's. Since summer we've been hooping with this Steve guy, whos my age and who happens to be the highschool basketball coach. We've been to the highschool numerous times to mix it up with Steve and the young guys.

This guy absolutely terrorizes the youngsters. Its sickening. Picking on younger kids and bragging about it. Our pickup games is as competitive as it gets, so I'm pretty cut throat too, but not in a way thats scarring these kids. My girlfriend who comes to watch has even been tempted to slug the guy.

So we've taken it apon ourselves, myself especially to take it to this Steve. Bring his ego down a peg. Thats something I love to do on the court anyway, this guy especially.

So last night while sitting and watching Steve and his stacked team of MEN vs little boys I thought I'm gunna put this guy to bed for good and I start off HOT. Bury my first 3 right in his grill. 2-0 and up to 11. Come back down court and bam 4-0, again playing me tight. 6-1. 8-1 and now he's not playing any defense at all, to make like he ain't getting schooled. Another three, 10-1. I cap it off with a lay up. 11-1 and dude starts snapping at me.

"We all came out here for basketball blah blah blah" and is looking like he's gunna come at me, so my cousin pipes up just stating the math because the whole idea of basketball is to win.

People can say its just pickup ball but our group of guys is different. These guys play like we have their dearest loved ones locked in our basement and the only way to free them is to beat us in bball. They play hard and thats fantastic to me.

So anyway the dude gets in my cousins face, spouting off at him. The biggest guy there gets in between the two, the Steve guy throws a punch, my cuzz avoids it and pops him back, cutting the guy open above the eye.

Looking back I kinda feel bad cuz we are all out there just to play basketball, but then I think about it and this Steve guy had it coming. Part of me thinks I should give the guy a call and welcome him out again, or just say "**** it!".

Anyone else encounter situations like this on the court?
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
ManlyStanley69
Fitness Made Simple

Default Re: When pickup bball gets way too intense!

Yes, sometimes manly pickup basketball games can get violent.

I'll share a story. Last summer I went to the park one day by myself. A full court game was going on so i took about 35 minutes to stretch out. A couple of the guys on the court were looking at me funny: I don't know if it was because of my short Purple shorts or because of my advanced stretching techniques. I didn't get mad, though. Some haters are going to hate regardless.

Well, when i finally got on the court and in the game after some pansy went down with an ankle injury, some of the "tough guys" from the other team didn't appeciate how physical I was playing. I was playing lockdown defense and denying my man the ball for the whole game. I was face to face with the guy, less than an inch away at all times...and this little girlyman was complaining, saying i was poking him or something. All of a sudden he punched me in the face. I got so angry that i kicked him in his mouth. Everyone was shocked. He layed there then tried to get up. He then stumbled over to me and punched me in my stomach but he hurt his hand and then just quit.
ManlyStanley69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Attila
Local High School Star

Good ****.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
macmac
Gov'n

Ever since I was ye high, people hated on me because my style is peculiar but effective (im a lefty, i do alot of hesitations and headfakes in the post+ i have a sweet one handed floater that i use from the midrange). My game is a cross between a Shawn Marion and a slower craftier bigman ala Sabonis/Nesterovic.

Combine the player hating with my competitive streak and my proficiency for profanity and **** talking and you got yourself alot of heated situations. Since I'm usually one of the biggest guys on the court, things rarely escalate. I've gotten in a bunch of shoving matches and maybe one or two instances of punches thrown but not fully landed and ppl breaking it apart.

Last summer, however, I was playing ball at a court I dont usually play at. Some boys invited me over and we were running 5s in blistering heat for a couple of hours. The game broke down and those who still had legs decided to play a game of American (everyone trying to get to 21pts on one basket).

Soon enough, some fat black dude I casually know was getting fiesty on the rebounds and me being the egomaniac that I am, didn't let up and started boxing him out on every possession. **** quickly escalated to name calling and all that bullshiiit. He started talking about knocking me out and I warned him not to write checks his ass can't cash. He Chestbumps me a couple of times and as people start breaking it up he slaps me in the face. BAM! right in the jugular.

I said **** it, told everyone to get the ***** away, we circle each other, I throw a few jabs that dont connect just to feel him off... he goes for a wild haymaker and as he leans in, I connect right in his grill, he loses his balance and falls hands and face first. While he falls I kick him right in his fat head. Dude gets knocked the fuuuck out and starts wheezing. I grab my ball, tell the two boys I came with to reach and get the **** out and go buy some gatorade. Three hours later dude calls me to apologize and tell me he was out of line for escalating ****.

Ive played ball with him a couple of times since then and the guy is overly friendly in a weird way. I also saw him in a club once where beef was about to happen and the guy kept asking me if I knew he had my back. Shiesty muphucka

Anyways thats my story... nowadays, I try to cut down on ****talking especially when my own team does mistakes and just play to keep in shape and enjoy myself instead of considering winning a meaningless outdoor game the end all be all.

Last edited by macmac : 04-22-2009 at 03:39 PM.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

For me, its when guns get brought out.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
ManlyStanley69
Fitness Made Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
For me, its when guns get brought out.

These guns?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Looking back I kinda feel bad cuz we are all out there just to play basketball, but then I think about it and this Steve guy had it coming. Part of me thinks I should give the guy a call and welcome him out again, or just say "**** it!".

Your cousin did the right thing. No need to call unless these were close friends. And if they were they probably got over it but a phone call would be good in that situation. The consequence of trying to suckerpunch someone is getting hit back. He missed your cousin hit like Ray Allen for 3.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Ever since I was ye high, people hated on me because my style is peculiar but effective (im a lefty, i do alot of hesitations and headfakes in the post+ i have a sweet one handed floater that i use from the midrange). My game is a cross between a Shawn Marion and a slower craftier bigman ala Sabonis/Nesterovic.

Combine the player hating with my competitive streak and my proficiency for profanity and **** talking and you got yourself alot of heated situations. Since I'm usually one of the biggest guys on the court, things rarely escalate. I've gotten in a bunch of shoving matches and maybe one or two instances of punches thrown but not fully landed and ppl breaking it apart.

Last summer, however, I was playing ball at a court I dont usually play at. Some boys invited me over and we were running 5s in blistering heat for a couple of hours. The game broke down and those who still had legs decided to play a game of American (everyone trying to get to 21pts on one basket).

Soon enough, some fat black dude I casually know was getting fiesty on the rebounds and me being the egomaniac that I am, didn't let up and started boxing him out on every possession. **** quickly escalated to name calling and all that bullshiiit. He started talking about knocking me out and I warned him not to write checks his ass can't cash. He Chestbumps me a couple of times and as people start breaking it up he slaps me in the face. BAM! right in the jugular.

I said **** it, told everyone to get the ***** away, we circle each other, I throw a few jabs that dont connect just to feel him off... he goes for a wild haymaker and as he leans in, I connect right in his grill, he loses his balance and falls hands and face first. While he falls I kick him right in his fat head. Dude gets knocked the fuuuck out and starts wheezing. I grab my ball, tell the two boys I came with to reach and get the **** out and go buy some gatorade. Three hours later dude calls me to apologize and tell me he was out of line for escalating ****.

Ive played ball with him a couple of times since then and the guy is overly friendly in a weird way. I also saw him in a club once where beef was about to happen and the guy kept asking me if I knew he had my back. Shiesty muphucka

Anyways thats my story... nowadays, I try to cut down on ****talking especially when my own team does mistakes and just play to keep in shape and enjoy myself instead of considering winning a meaningless outdoor game the end all be all.

No stories of you getting punked, backing down or your ass getting kicked?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Me and these 2 guys I used to work with would always play pickup. We made a solid team, me playing the one, another guy about 6'2 playing the wing, and we had this massive kid in the post, 6'8/270ish.

When we were all probably 19 or so we played these 3 middle aged guys, they were solid but just couldn't keep up athletically. We were handling them pretty easily, won 3 straight, then we started the 4th game. I guess the other team was upset about getting worked, so they started getting mouthy and playing a lot of shady D, slaps at the ball through the body and across the arms, holding shirts on cuts a little too much, that kinda stuff. Me and our big man ran a PnR and caught them on a switch. I feed the big man and he pivots and elbows the smaller guy guarding him right in the jaw, hard. Nothing malicious about it, that kinda stuff just happens. Defender rolled around like a punk for 30 seconds or so, then he pops up and blasts our big man in the face with a punch. My guy just took it, kinda thought about what just happened for a second, and just kinda kicked the dude in the gut. Wasn't really a kick, just sort of put his foot in the dude's stomach and shoved him with it. The guy went flying backwards and flew over a bench. I've never laughed harder.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Steve sounds like a d*ck and it also sounds like he had it coming to him.

I have encounters on the courts pretty frequently. I play hard so naturally it rubs certain folks the wrong way, especially when some white boy with floppy hair (me) is soul crushing fools on the court (yes I've been known to soul crush time to time). I've only came to blows once or twice on the court and it generally escalated over elbows thrown in the post while establishing position or boxing out.

I've been attacked numerous times though. I'm definitely not trying to fight out on the street and most of the dudes who are coming after me wouldn't be okay with me (white boy) whipping their ass in front of every1 and them calling it a day. I'd have to deal with some other sh*t I'm not interested in i.e. having to fight again, getting jumped, one upped, etc. So when some dude is trying to get a piece I just put my hand out and apologize even if I was I was simply playing hard.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
ManlyStanley69
Fitness Made Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
Steve sounds like a d*ck and it also sounds like he had it coming to him.

I have encounters on the courts pretty frequently. I play hard so naturally it rubs certain folks the wrong way, especially when some white boy with floppy hair (me) is soul crushing fools on the court (yes I've been known to soul crush time to time). I've only came to blows once or twice on the court and it generally escalated over elbows thrown in the post while establishing position or boxing out.

I've been attacked numerous times though. I'm definitely not trying to fight out on the street and most of the dudes who are coming after me wouldn't be okay with me (white boy) whipping their ass in front of every1 and them calling it a day. I'd have to deal with some other sh*t I'm not interested in i.e. having to fight again, getting jumped, one upped, etc. So when some dude is trying to get a piece I just put my hand out and apologize even if I was I was simply playing hard.

Sounds like people are jealous of your hair and how it behaves when in motion.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Are you kidding?

Almost every game of basketball I have played when its 5-on-5 has been way too intense, after the 1st game frustration kicks in and the game turns to slamball and fights & arguments occur.

I've been checked so hard taking the ball to the hoop because guys are getting frustrated I lost both of my front teeth.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
anthonyRandolph
Crescent City

LMAO weak sauce I was playing and these guys started arguing over a call and then a fight breaks out someone throws a beer bottle. Fight stops then someone hits someguy while he's not looking and then the guy goes and gets a gun and I'm hiding behind a pole.
anthonyRandolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Another time, I was hustling some guys in the hood. Me and this guy I'd met recently that looked like a chump but had major game were partners. I talk up this big goon, tell him he and his friend can pick anyone out there to be my partner and I'll still win. Of course they pick the chump.

Pulled $600 out of my sock, but the goon didn't have the change. So he said he was going to get the rest from his car, but he was gone for like 10 minutes. I don't know what he was doing, but I think I saw him in a ski mask.

Comes back with the cash and the game is on. Me and the chump win and take our money. Then the goon, finally, figures out our hustle. He pulls out a knife and starts swinging it wildly. Then he says "screw it, I'm gonna go get my other gun, kill EVERYbody" (I don't know what happened to his first gun). Everyone scatters, me and the chump jump the fence and into his beat up convertible and ride out with his fine ass latina girlfriend. We had a discussion about Jimi Hendrix on the ride home. He listens to Jimi, but he doesn't hear him.

At least, I think that was me.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

It happens. I play pick up ball all the time, so I've seen my share of fights. I'm a fairly calm guy, so I always try to downplay fights... I'm there to play ball, not fight.

It's funny, because I've trained in MMA for about 4 years now, and the whole time guys are talking shyt I'm just thinking about how many ways I could take them out... but like I said, I don't like to fight over Basketball.

If someone were to swing on me, I'de put them to sleep with no remorse though.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: