Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default Tips on protecting the ball(especially when going up)

Accidently posted this in OTC.

I'm good at rip-through manuevers when driving and in over under moves and when using the pro-hop but during the actual gather when going up or to dish a no look shovel pass to my teammate under the basket I tend to be stripped by smaller defenders with quick hands. People tell me I should just keep the ball high to avoid being stripped but this feels awkward to me. Earlier I was practicing a pro-hop move where I wrap the ball around my head in mid-air. If I get a chance I'll try this in my AAU game tommorow.

Default Re: Tips on protecting the ball(especially when going up)

cuff it like a football, and go up hard. shit i didnt do that my first 2 years in HS. i got so much better at attacking the rim once i started doin it

Quote Originally Posted by KDTrey5
    cuff it like a football, and go up hard. shit i didnt do that my first 2 years in HS. i got so much better at attacking the rim once i started doin it
    I have to play in the WCAL next year. One of the unofficial mottos is "Go up hard or you'll get swat". Last year even Aaron Gordon was blocked quite a few times.

aaron gordon can ball

Quote Originally Posted by KDTrey5
    i do this a lot, i would suggest you try it

also you have to realize that you might be overpenetrating. if there are a lot of defenders around you chances are someone is open. make a good bounce pass or give a good ball fake early make them play honest

dont cuff the ball like a running back. 2 reasons, its easy for someone to grap a hold of it. the other is it can easily be called as a carry in highschool. if you want to learn how to drive strong and properly, watch d rose.

watch the first layup. power dribble, hard 1 2 step while bringing the ball up and over from waist to waist then finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5bFtysx30o

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    dont cuff the ball like a running back. 2 reasons, its easy for someone to grap a hold of it. the other is it can easily be called as a carry in highschool. if you want to learn how to drive strong and properly, watch d rose.

watch the first layup. power dribble, hard 1 2 step while bringing the ball up and over from waist to waist then finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5bFtysx30o
    Ive seen D-rose cuff the ball a lot while driving. Cuffing the ball actually is one of the best ways to protect the ball while driving. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=147869.

Oh and "carrying" depends on your steps.

From personal experience, the players who excel in driving are the ones that aren't afraid of contact. Once you get in contact with the player defending you on air, they get unbalanced and its harder for them to block the ball.

Another way is to stuff up their timing - either a quicker release,double clutch or release it as far as possible from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    Ive seen D-rose cuff the ball a lot while driving. Cuffing the ball actually is one of the best ways to protect the ball while driving. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=147869.

Oh and "carrying" depends on your steps.

From personal experience, the players who excel in driving are the ones that aren't afraid of contact. Once you get in contact with the player defending you on air, they get unbalanced and its harder for them to block the ball.

Another way is to stuff up their timing - either a quicker release,double clutch or release it as far as possible from them.
    ive watched every d rose bulls game there ever was. he does do it on occasions but only when he feels like theres too much muscle in the lane and he has to power his way in for a layup. most of the time hes using his acrobatic ability to finish. cuffing everytime or most the time is no good. another good reason that cuffing is bad is that you actually lose explosion to lay in the ball. when you gather the ball in a cuffing motion the ball stays at a stand still or a gentle cradle, either at your waist or near your abdomen. but if you bring it up and over from waist to waist, you can gather energy off that movement and then lay it in any way you want. im a good penetrator myself and i only cradle when im not using my speed to hit the lane, when i need to force my way in the lane i cradle or grip the ball like a football.

Yep sure but in terms of protecting the ball it does its job, there are so many occasions where I wished I cuffed the ball instead on driving after being stripped easily by defenders slapping the ball out of my hands.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    ive watched every d rose bulls game there ever was. he does do it on occasions but only when he feels like theres too much muscle in the lane and he has to power his way in for a layup. most of the time hes using his acrobatic ability to finish. cuffing everytime or most the time is no good. another good reason that cuffing is bad is that you actually lose explosion to lay in the ball. when you gather the ball in a cuffing motion the ball stays at a stand still or a gentle cradle, either at your waist or near your abdomen. but if you bring it up and over from waist to waist, you can gather energy off that movement and then lay it in any way you want. im a good penetrator myself and i only cradle when im not using my speed to hit the lane, when i need to force my way in the lane i cradle or grip the ball like a football.
    I agree it should not be overdone. In my history, I don't have a conscious memory of deciding I wanted to cuff as I drove; it felt more like a reaction. I feel like when the time is right to cuff it like a football or however you want to describe it, you'll know.

In fact, I think all my ball protection moves are reactions as opposed to plans. I just treat the time I pickup my dribble as free reign to do whatever the hell I want with my body and the ball within those two steps prior to takeoff. If I'm attacking on the fast break and there's two defenders standing on each elbow, thinking they've got the middle blocked off because their arms are in the way, I'll pick up my dribble at the three point line, put the ball above my head, and blast through their arms in for a bucket. If I put myself in a position to power through a forest of people all wildly looking to rip it from my possession, I may cuff it as mentioned. Or, maybe a Euro-step is in order. It's an open book of opportunity when one drives.

As Burgh said earlier in this thread, if you feel you have a list of proper gathering techniques and you're still being stripped frequently, you may want to consider whether you're overdriving, i.e. putting your possession unnecessarily in trouble, to the point that no protection is adequate.

Thanks for the advice guys. Also, is there a counter move to the eurostep like if it gets too predictable for the defender? The only moves I really use in transition are pausing at the free throw then changing speed & finishing, spinning of the defender for a lay in the middle of the lane, and the eurostep.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Thanks for the advice guys. Also, is there a counter move to the eurostep like if it gets too predictable for the defender? The only moves I really use in transition are pausing at the free throw then changing speed & finishing, spinning of the defender for a lay in the middle of the lane, and the eurostep.
    Watch some tapes of Hakeem. Even in transition, fakes can be incredibly useful. Admittedly, I'm not that used to taking contact when going up yet, so it helps to know how to fake. I had a 1-on-2 before and I was leaning into one defender form the left. Spun to the middle into both of them, faked the shot, both bit, stepped through, boom. I think one thing to note here though is that your fakes and shots have to go from one side to the other. Try to fake right and step through still on the right would most likely lead into a harder shot to put up.

the eurostep can leave you vulnerable for that exact reason, there aren't many things you can do.

most times a guy reads you it should be a charge. One thing Coach K always says is if you are about to make a pass can you make a ball fake before? Can you change you mind.

If you leave your feet you can't do either. Also why coaches always say pass with two hands, because you can't change your mind if you see a defender about to steal it.

knowing when to change speeds is very difficult for a lot of players. learning how to do so in the open court really helped my game thrive so kudos. I'd say just keep playing as much ball as you can, you'll learn naturally how to read and react defenses

I'm guilty for making a couple too many 1-hand passes.

I'm guilty for making a couple too many 1-hand passes.
    it's better to learn the hard way to tell you the truth