Page 1 of 34 123411 ... LastLast

Cool THE ONE: Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez - Sept 14th!!

This match-up has snuck up on us pretty fast, it is only 3 weeks away peoples! And not only do we get the superstar main event, we get a co-main event that could be a PPV headliner all on its own, DANNY GARCIA vs. LUCAS MATTHYSSE!! Some are looking forward to that fight more than the main event.

We get another title fight in Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina and Pablo Cesar Cano vs. Ashley Theophane.

-----

September 14
    SHOWTIME PPV
    THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO

MAIN EVENT
    Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez for the WBC Light Middleweight, WBA “Super” World Light Middleweight and the Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships

CO-MAIN EVENT
    Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse for Garcia's WBC, WBA “Super” World Light Welterweights and Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships

UNDERCARD
    Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina for Smith's IBF Junior Middleweight Championship
    Pablo Cesar Cano vs. Ashley Theophane

COUNTDOWN LIVE TO THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO
    Chris Pearson vs. Josh Williams
    Ronald Gavril vs. Shujaa El Amin
    Luis Arias vs. James Winchester
    Lanell Bellows vs. Jordan Moore
    Andrew Tibiti vs. Edward Smith

-----

This weekend, right before the Abner Mares/Jhonny Gonzalez fight, the first All Access episode premiers.

-----

They will also be putting on up to five events in the week leading up to the biggest PPV event since Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather back in 2007. So far only 2 shows have been announced. ESPN is supposed to have a night, and look for Showtime to put on another fight night that week.

September 7
    Showtime Championship Boxing

Seth Mitchell vs. Chris Arreola for Mitchell’s WBC International and NABO Heavyweight Championships
    Rafael Marquez vs. Efrain Esquivias

September 12
    Fox Sports 2
    Golden Boy Live!

Shawn Porter vs. Julio Diaz II
    Marco Antonio Periban vs. Badou Jack
    Julian Williams vs. Hugo Centento Jr.
    -----
    Jermall Charlo vs. TBA
    Errol Spence vs. Jesus Tavera
    Robert Easter Jr. vs. Joseph Laryea
    Dominic Breazeale vs. John Hill
    Terrell Gausha vs. Bruce Runkle
    Diego De La Hoya vs. TBA
    Last edited by L.Kizzle; 09-14-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Love Live Life

Default Re: THE ONE: Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez - Sept 14th!!

Fight gonna be boring like all his other fights.

Gonna be great seeing who will lose amongst two undefeated champs

this will be the first fight i will order since mayweather vs de la hoya

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    You don't find Floyd fights exciting? The way he dominates his opponents is great to watch.

Of course, I find wars exciting like Rios/Alvarado also.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Gonna be great seeing who will lose amongst two undefeated champs
    Mayweather wins in dominating fashion.
    I got Garcia beating Matthysse also!

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    If you can't appreciate the art of the sweet science, you're probably right. Though, Floyd's fights have been pretty entertaining in general for the past several years.

Guerrero was boring, but that had more to do with Robert just not bringing anything to the table and looking content just to be there.

Prior to that, the Cotto fight was very entertaining, as was Ortiz, Mosley and Hatton. He was letting his hands go against Marquez too. The only reason that may have lost the interest of those suffering from ADD is the sheer dominance by Mayweather.

I would expect a more cautious Floyd against Alvarez, but he's going to have to gain Sal's respect at some point (probably early) in the fight to be able to control the pace.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-22-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    If you can't appreciate the art of the sweet science, you're probably right. Though, Floyd's fights have been pretty entertaining in general for the past several years.

Guerrero was boring, but that had more to do with Robert just not bringing anything to the table and looking content just to be there.

Prior to that, the Cotto fight was very entertaining, as was Ortiz, Mosley and Hatton. He was letting his hands go against Marquez too. The only reason that may have lost the interest of those suffering from ADD is the sheer dominance by Mayweather.

I would expect a more cautious Floyd against Alvarez, but he's going to have to gain Sal's respect at some point (probably early) in the fight to be able to control the pace.
    I respect him and what he do. I don't what he does to promote the fight though.

But he has skill and I just prefer slugfests.

People who find Mayweather fights boring don't appreciate boxing. He is so skilled at his craft its unbelievable. He would've knocked out Guerrero if he didn't break his hand. Can't wait for this fight.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450
    People who find Mayweather fights boring don't appreciate boxing. He is so skilled at his craft its unbelievable. He would've knocked out Guerrero if he didn't break his hand. Can't wait for this fight.
    Floyd mastered the sweet science of boxing which is to hit and not getting hit. For casual fans, that not exciting. Most of them get excited when they see wars. That's the real truth.

I want to see The PPV but what I really want to see is the Mathysse vs Garcia. I got Mathysse on that fight. Regarding the main event, I expect Floyd to pick apart Canelo after 3-4 rounds.

What I want to know, what's the big deal over the 1 lbs? I say 1 lbs because in Canelo's last fight, he came in at 153 vs. Trout. This fight, he has to come in at 152.

I'm reading a lot of people say he will be drained for the fight, really. Is one or two pounds gonna drain you?

Alvarez has stamina issues. Money feasts on stamina issues

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    What I want to know, what's the big deal over the 1 lbs? I say 1 lbs because in Canelo's last fight, he came in at 153 vs. Trout. This fight, he has to come in at 152.

I'm reading a lot of people say he will be drained for the fight, really. Is one or two pounds gonna drain you?
    Well, he fought Trout at the limit which was 154. He just happened to weigh-in at 153. I get your point though and it's the whole reason I said Floyd should have just made the fight at 154. It's likely to make absolutely no difference.

There's the whole issue of dehydrating in the day between the weigh-in and the fight. Maybe Floyd's team feels as though he won't be able to get up to 170 on fight night or whatever he has been doing in his previous bouts if he has to cut those two extra pounds?

I'm not a fan of catchweights in general. Hell, I think there are too many weight classes as it is. No need to create artificial ones.

In the golden age of boxing, there weren't all of these "junior" and "super" classes. It was featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, etc. Made the sport much easier to follow for casual fans.

Floyd pulled a b*tch move by pulling the weight down to 152. Floyd is a champ at 154. He fought Cotto at 154 who is a beast and uses his weight way more than Canelo, now all of a sudden you don't want to fight at that weight again? If you don't like that your opponent will outweigh you, don't fight at that weight. I still think Floyd wins regardless, it just discredits it a bit...he could just beat him @ 154.

Whether the weigh-in is @ 152 or 154, Floyd really is giving up a lot of weight, but nothing more than the lbs that Manny was giving up against Clottey, Marg, etc.

That being said, I'm glad this fight is happening!

I know it was mentioned in the boxing thread before but I can't remember, are they using 8 or 10oz gloves? They should be using 10oz at 152lbs but I can't remember if this was brought up in negotiations...