Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going Vegan

Default Re: Going Vegan

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    I have been a carnivore my entire life, but in the past few weeks I have been thinking about trying to go vegan.

It seems like the moral justification for farming livestock is based on the fact that farm animals are cognitively inferior to humans, so it is therefore it is acceptable to exploit them. Lately I dont really buy this justification anymore.

How you would feel if aliens with superior intelligence and technology arrived on earth and enslaved humanity to farm us for food products on an industrial scale. Would the aliens be morally justified in doing this, since we humans are cognitively inferior to them?
    Plants are also living things who are cognitively inferior to humans, we also farm them for food.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Honestly, I appreciate people who are willing to stand up for your morals but I can't get behind that way of thinking. I don't believe that cows (for example) would think the same way about eating us, nor do I think a dog ever wonders where it's bone has come from. I appreciate animals and by no means want to wipe them out, but livestock bred purely for meat? I see no issue with that. Comparing it to aliens farming us is absurd really, but if they're the top of the food chain then they're the top of the food chain. It's just nature. Am I supposed to feel bad about the fact we are a species that has made hunting efficient?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    I was a vegeterian for close to two years. Its really healthy for you physically and mentally. Also u dont have to worry about getting cancer
    wow

I was a vegeterian for close to two years. Its really healthy for you physically and mentally. Also u dont have to worry about getting cancer
    You been on a roll of dumb post yesterday

Also you never went vegan. You had you share of c[COLOR="Black"]oc[/COLOR]k sucking in the NBA forum.

College superstar

Actually he raises a valid point. Half of the worlds antibiotics are used on animals for food consumption. We're eating diseased meat and the increase in cancer rates has everything to do with diet. Cancer affects less than 1% of the population in Japan because they eating mostly grains, beans, sea food and vegetables.

I'm making changes this year with food. For one I'm getting rid of all supplements in my diet. Whey protein in particular is complete B.S. Instead of poorly made shakes which are a waste product of cheese I'm eating food. I'm going to stop eating so much animal protein too. Unless you're a hard gainer or bodybuilder which I'm not, you don't need to eat 1/1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

P.S Good on you for giving the vegan diet a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Morals come from social contract, which animals do not take part in.

Morals come from Jesus. Get your facts straight bro.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    Actually he raises a valid point. Half of the worlds antibiotics are used on animals for food consumption. We're eating diseased meat and the increase in cancer rates has everything to do with diet. Cancer affects less than 1% of the population in Japan because they eating mostly grains, beans, sea food and vegetables.

I'm making changes this year with food. For one I'm getting rid of all supplements in my diet. Whey protein in particular is complete B.S. Instead of poorly made shakes which are a waste product of cheese I'm eating food. I'm going to stop eating so much animal protein too. Unless you're a hard gainer or bodybuilder which I'm not, you don't need to eat 1/1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

P.S Good on you for giving the vegan diet a go.
    http://healthhubs.net/cancer/cancer-...ared-to-japan/

That's the first site I found but that seems to be suggesting colorectal cancer (heavily affected by diet) is more common in Japan...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    http://healthhubs.net/cancer/cancer-...ared-to-japan/

That's the first site I found but that seems to be suggesting colorectal cancer (heavily affected by diet) is more common in Japan...
    Colorectal cancer is mainly a cancer of the western world. Around 63% of cases which happen to share very similar diets. It's also the third most popular cancer in the United states. By looking at that graph you'll also notice there are 9 other cancers which are more common in western cultures.

Meat consumption is not what it used to be. It used to be locally sourced from farms and be raised on food that the land produced. Unless you pay a premium you're eating poor quality meat.

Diet has everything to do with cancer.

You don't need to go vegan but switch to a 70/30 diet i.e. 70% veg

NBA All-star

I suppose there are only 2 types of people, and maybe 3.

the first is one, who decides to quit on something, and they make it, and that was the end of it all, they quit it.

the second is the type, they quit on something just as they start on something, and as they get the meaning/experience of it, they start trying to utilize it even more in the bigger picture of it all. and to even bring along the whole "religion is a disease thread". to me, it's really a matter of after learning and knowing how each little substance/diet/subject reacts to you, and trying to find the grand purpose behind it all in how you intend to utilize it.

that third type?

I guess they just hadn't even found the power of quitting yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    I suppose there are only 2 types of people, and maybe 3.

the first is one, who decides to quit on something, and they make it, and that was the end of it all, they quit it.

the second is the type, they quit on something just as they start on something, and as they get the meaning/experience of it, they start trying to utilize it even more in the bigger picture of it all. and to even bring along the whole "religion is a disease thread". to me, it's really a matter of after learning and knowing how each little substance/diet/subject reacts to you, and trying to find the grand purpose behind it all in how you intend to utilize it.

that third type?

I guess they just hadn't even found the power of quitting yet.
    Then theres you...a fakkit

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    Colorectal cancer is mainly a cancer of the western world. Around 63% of cases which happen to share very similar diets. It's also the third most popular cancer in the United states. By looking at that graph you'll also notice there are 9 other cancers which are more common in western cultures.

Meat consumption is not what it used to be. It used to be locally sourced from farms and be raised on food that the land produced. Unless you pay a premium you're eating poor quality meat.

Diet has everything to do with cancer.
    Don't be childish. Diet is only one of many contributory causes of cancer, some of which will be unknown, some genetic, some environmental, etc. Speaking scientifically, in most (if not all) cancer cases, you cannot point to a single causal factor and say: 'x' caused this particular cancer, in this specific case.

The many unhealthy habits of the citizens of countries like the USA work to multiply the risk factors that contribute to cancer. You are treading very heavily in a minefield of uncertainty.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Don't be childish. Diet is only one of many contributory causes of cancer, some of which will be unknown, some genetic, some environmental, etc. Speaking scientifically, in most (if not all) cancer cases, you cannot point to a single causal factor and say: 'x' caused this particular cancer, in this specific case.

The many unhealthy habits of the citizens of countries like the USA work to multiply the risk factors that contribute to cancer. You are treading very heavily in a minefield of uncertainty.
    You don't have to look that far back in history to see that as food and diet have deteriorated the increase of diabetes and cancer has increased. (Surely that's a very strong indication) Considering the West has some of the best medicine and treatment in the world why is disease such an epidemic?

You also mentioned environment has some contributing factors, that's exactly how some of our food is being compromised. Fruits and vegetables were organic for millions of years before we started messing around with it.

It's estimated that 70% of diseases can be avoided by lifestyle choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    You been on a roll of dumb post yesterday

Also you never went vegan. You had you share of c[COLOR="Black"]oc[/COLOR]k sucking in the NBA forum.
    if there is a fine line between my intelligence and your intelligence, but you are the one doubting everything i say without proof, then what does that say about whos dumb and whos smart?

Columbus -"the world is round"
    dumb people- "you are dumb, no it isnt" (based on no proof)

nathaniel-"diet is related to cancer"
    poor mexican -" no it isnt you are dumb" (based on no proof)
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 01-17-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    This is not the argument usually. The argument is that they're not conscious. Eating chimpanzees our dolphins would be ****ed up. Eating among the stupidest mammals in existences in cows, does not bother my conscious.
    By that logic, I should be eating you.

I'm saying you're one of the stupidest mammals in existence.

Your response only furthers my point.