Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Who would you rather build your team around - David Robinson or Kobe Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    So Howard's game is more like David's because of the muscles? Howard's game is around the rim overpowering people. David's game was more finesse.
    A bigger, more athletic, more powerful, more physical, much better at everything and MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCC CCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (notice the "Much") more defensive version of Bosh... yes... :)
    Last edited by pauk; 03-24-2013 at 01:26 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Who would you rather build your team around - David Robinson or Kobe Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    A bigger, more athletic, more powerful, more physical, much better at everything and MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCC CCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (notice the "Much") more defensive version of Bosh... yes... :)
    OK. Who said he was as good as Robinson? I said his game reminded me of him. Howards certainly doesn't despite being bigger. more athletic, more physical and much more defensive than Bosh. On the offensive side of the ball Bosh's game is much, more similar to Dave's.

Good High School Starter

David Robinson

A dominant big man would be invaluable in today's league because of lack of competition.

David Robinson would fit like a glove at current Spurs.It's hard to imagine any team being able to beat them

prime Robinson
    Splitter/Diaw
    Leonard/Jax
    Green/Manu
    Parker

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Wouldn't any of these big men from the 90s have a much tougher time in the post in today's game due to the change in defensive rules? You can basically leave an extra man back in the post at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    Wouldn't any of these big men from the 90s have a much tougher time in the post in today's game due to the change in defensive rules? You can basically leave an extra man back in the post at all times.
    Robinson was a hell of a passer and had a good face up game, smooth midrange jumper. Double teams would be useless if you surround him with good shooters and/or slashing/cutting wings. Give him too much attention and his team kills you and he'd put up guardlike assist numbers.

That said I couldn't decide who to take. I always loved Robinson's skillset, but he always seemed to lack the hunger of other (star)players.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

I always thought of Robinson like the Russian dude from Rocky IV.

He's become underrated. He was great, an athletic specimen, mechanically good at everything and one of the best team defensive centers you'll ever see...but give me Kobe.

Dunking on everybody in the park 24r2's Avatar

Kobe based on looks alone, people will get more fans on your team and add his jordanesque game, this is no contest

Quote Originally Posted by 24r2
    Kobe based on looks alone, people will get more fans on your team and add his jordanesque game, this is no contest

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

If I don't know their future, Robinson without thinking twice. If I know their future, Kobe. Now if I'm a GM, I may go with Robinson even if I know their future, but if I'm an owner I definitely go with Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    It's the otherway around, some like Bosh would get destroyd by C in the 90's.

let's see, the GOAT, Kobe Bryant vs D. Robinson....

yeah I'll take the GOAT, Kobe Bryant.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    If Hakeem is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If Kareem is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If D'rob is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If Ewing is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If Shaq is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.
    I don't agree with everyone on this list... I'd pick Hakeem, Shaq, Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Duncan over Kobe or Jordan if I was starting a team AND knew careers.
    DRob, Ewing, etc (the next tier), I would pick Jordan or Kobe.

I'm not saying the above Centers are better than Jordan or Kobe (they're not better than Jordan, and some of them are better than Kobe), but I think it would be easier to build a winning team around the C.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Yeah, if you're Helen Keller.

I would say Robinson's game is similar to Kevin Garnett.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Robinson was a hell of a passer and had a good face up game, smooth midrange jumper. Double teams would be useless if you surround him with good shooters and/or slashing/cutting wings. Give him too much attention and his team kills you and he'd put up guardlike assist numbers.

That said I couldn't decide who to take. I always loved Robinson's skillset, but he always seemed to lack the hunger of other (star)players.
    Replace Dwight with DRob on those recent Magic teams and I see Orlando winning one or two championships at least. Dwight's supposed to be this era's best center and he averaged 15 ppg in the Finals. Pathetic for a star player.
    Last edited by Artillery; 03-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.

D-Rob.

Then I'd hope he is injured one season, so my team can tank and grab Duncan in the draft, because D-Rob + Duncan >> Kobe. Otherwise, Kobe >>>> D-Rob.