Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Talk!

Default Re: Draft Talk!

Correction: Rip has reached his ceiling, on his way down, he's reached his potential, and isn't getting any better. Not that he's on his way out. My mistake.

Kwame needs to go. And wish Joe D had thought of this C predicament a couple years ago, when he could have drafted DeAndre Jordan or held onto Cheikh Samb... done something to avert this desperation that we now have for a legit frontcourt player.

And why in the world did we draft Trent Plaisted?

NBA lottery pick

I couldn't agree more about the Plaisted thing.

I thought it was the Pistons decision on whether Kwame came back or not. That was the beauty of the contract right? If he sucked we could just let him go. You guys know that I've been saying we need a big man for years now. Remember last year when I thought we needed to trade Sheed to move up to get Lopez? Everybody thought I was crazy. Now NJ has a nice C in the middle. This year doesn't really have a guy like that. Maybe Thabeet but we don't have anybody to give up to move that high and it's even more of a gamble. It's proven a team doesn't need a great C to win it all. As long as you have a great PF. If we are able to get ourselves a legit PF and put a solid C that can defend next to him we have a chance because we have the gaurd play right now. I think we all agree at this point though. Give us a big man who can play already Joe D!

Stern+refs=fail

nope it was a 2 year $8 million contract with a player option for the 2nd year. Man, so many holes to fill it seems! Remember the good old days with Ben, Sheed, Tay, Rip, and Chauncey? No holes in that starting lineup

Stern+refs=fail

actually we drafted D.J. White and traded him for Sharpe and Plaisted, which seems even dumber. White averaged 8.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg, and .71 bpg in only 18.6 mpg. However, he only played 7 games, but he seems decent.

NBA lottery pick

But White was another 6'7" PF wasn't he? I agree he has more talent but the last thing we need is another PF in a SG's body. Anyway around the majority of 2nd round picks don't make it in the league anyway. We shouldn't even worry about those. If we find a diamond in the rough so be it.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
    nope it was a 2 year $8 million contract with a player option for the 2nd year. Man, so many holes to fill it seems! Remember the good old days with Ben, Sheed, Tay, Rip, and Chauncey? No holes in that starting lineup

Those were the days. At least we aren't far off now.

Stern+refs=fail

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    But White was another 6'7" PF wasn't he? I agree he has more talent but the last thing we need is another PF in a SG's body. Anyway around the majority of 2nd round picks don't make it in the league anyway. We shouldn't even worry about those. If we find a diamond in the rough so be it.
    True true. 4 PFs off the bench last year? That would be crazy. Right, I really don't care for our 2nd rounders, I say we trade all of them for a late first or something. Kinda weird, in 2004 Joe D drafted terrible and made a good trade, but since he has drafted some good players (given draft position) but made some bad trades.

What about Pendergraph in the second round? I think he looks decent as a big, somebody who could definitely be worked into the rotation and contribute a little here and there...

NBA lottery pick

He could be but typically 2nd rounders don't even make it in the rotation for a number of years. Any 2nd rounder will likely be in the D league. I'd love to find that Ginobli type player in the 2nd round but it's highly unlikely. Isn't the percentage of 2nd rounders that are currently on NBA teams less than 10%?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

I actually really like the idea of going after David Lee. He's a hard working kind of person who would fit in Detroit well. I think he's pretty underrated too. I think we could probably get Gortat and either Lee or Boozer. Especially if we let Kwame go.

I really don't think Rip is on his way out. Why would anybody think that? Just because Joe D might make some trades? Where is he going to get a better 2 gaurd at? I just don't see them getting rid of Rip. Especially after how bad the whole AI experiment went.
    kwame has a player option so he is almost certainly here next year.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dealer77
    Correction: Rip has reached his ceiling, on his way down, he's reached his potential, and isn't getting any better. Not that he's on his way out. My mistake.

Kwame needs to go. And wish Joe D had thought of this C predicament a couple years ago, when he could have drafted DeAndre Jordan or held onto Cheikh Samb... done something to avert this desperation that we now have for a legit frontcourt player.

And why in the world did we draft Trent Plaisted?
    so.... last year? Deandre isnt the answer at the 5 (at least not anytime soon). Pretty sure we could re-sign samb if we wanted to. He was waived after the nuggets traded him.

Neither of those guys are close to starting caliber 5s. Id rather they start kwame. he may not have the occasional flashes jordan has, but hes at least consistent and in position most of the time.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    kwame has a player option so he is almost certainly here next year.
    If it's a player option he'd be dumb not to. If he didn't he may not have a job in the NBA anymore.

it was still a bad move to not have anybody there to groom into a center is my point. by trading away and not drafting before, we're even further behind right now. and drafting bj mullens i don't think is the answer.

NBA lottery pick

Here's the rumor today:

Two different sources have indicated to NBADraft.net on Friday that the Pistons have a promise in place to take BJ Mullens if he's available to the them at 15. Mullens works well with the rebuilding Pistons as he's a player with significant upside but will take time to become a contributor. With the Pistons in the process of rebuilding their squad, Mullens offers them a potential center for the future. NBAdraft.net
    This part is interesting:

While center Byron Mullens of Ohio State put on a good show for Bucks officials Friday, and reiterated his desire to be a teammate of Michael Redd -- who was his neighbor while growing up in Columbus, Ohio -- he isn't likely to get his wish. Considered the second-best center in the draft behind Thabeet, Mullens will more likely be chosen in the middle of the first round. Chicago, which plans to bring him back for a second visit, and Detroit have shown more than a passing interest in him. Journal Times
    It's kinda crazy that Mullens was the neighbor of Redd. What are the chances of 2 NBA players being neighbors growing up.

I think if Hansbrough is available they should snag him. Otherwise I'd be happy with the Mullens pick. It's more of a gamble put it could pay off well for us in a couple of years.

Stern+refs=fail

I think if Hansbrough is available they should snag him. Otherwise I'd be happy with the Mullens pick. It's more of a gamble put it could pay off well for us in a couple of years.
    I completely agree. I would be happy to take Mullens but I aint guaranteeing anybody anything. If Hansbrough falls than tough luck Mullens. With 3 2nd rounds I wouldn't mind taking both. Picks 35, 39, 44, and Toronto's 2nd '10would probably be enough for a top 20 pick. The problem is does anyone want a ton of 2nd rounders? Is there a team that lacks depth? Also this draft is weak with Centers so I wouldn't mind trading for a future 1st and trying next year. I just think stock really drops in the 2nd round and we don't need 3 2nd rounders this year and 2 next year with the depth we already have.