Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default Re: Kyrie's take on Bill Simmons.

I really don't see how being an Nba player automatically gives you credibility, especially when so many players demonstrate over and over again how little they know about the game outside of their little bubble. Shaq thinks Brook Lopez is better than howard. After Kobe's 2006 season Mark Jackson said he was the best player of all time. Barkley being critical of Mike Brown and the Princeton offense then A. It's very similar to the triangle and B. Kobe was the one pushing for it. Jay Williams on the NBA today podcast a couple weeks ago had about an hour long non stop rant proving he knew very little.

Players know the plays their team runs, They know the scouting report on their defensive assignment, and they know the best strip clubs in each city. There are players who opinions I would value (Cp3, Jason Kidd, gasol,) Dirk Derek Fisher.) But on a whole they clearly know much more about their little bubble than the basketball world at large. For instance it would be better to as an anthropologist about a remote south american tribe than it would be to ask the tribe members themselves. They're to wrapped up in their own world to give you a clear perspective.

Why is it that everyone fan knows Lamarcus Aldridge should be playing more back to the basket but he doesn't seem to know it.? How come Kobe is the only person that doesn't know iso Kobe ball doesn't work? How come the whole world was screaming at lebron for years to get a post game before he listened? How come I, a lowly fan, was yelling at my T.v. for westbrook not to lose Parker on the last shot of the spurs game moments before he did lose parker and subsequently lost the game. How come I know when Chris Paul is about to go to the elbow jumper but half the time his defender doesn't?

Simmons might not be right, I have no idea what he said. But Ad Hominem attacks don't help your case a bit.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go finish Tommy Heinsohns book: A Fair and Balanced Perspective on the Celtics Place in History.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    im with you on that. Its like when actors say, "oh youve never acted in a movie?? then how can you criticize my performance?"

It just seems more like a defensive tactic than anything else.
    This. Calling someone an idiot, because their analysis is wrong is one thing, but just dismissing their opinion, because they haven't excelled playing the sport is stupid and seems to be just a way of deflecting criticism.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    This. Calling someone an idiot, because their analysis is wrong is one thing, but just dismissing their opinion, because they haven't excelled playing the sport is stupid and seems to be just a way of deflecting criticism.
    Yes having what was the best if not best rookie years in a decade and having the year he is having so far he must be trying to reflect criticism

Decent college freshman

I only played high school basketball, does that mean I'm only qualified to discuss high school ball or can I still post here?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    I really don't see how being an Nba player automatically gives you credibility, especially when so many players demonstrate over and over again how little they know about the game outside of their little bubble. Shaq thinks Brook Lopez is better than howard. After Kobe's 2006 season Mark Jackson said he was the best player of all time. Barkley being critical of Mike Brown and the Princeton offense then A. It's very similar to the triangle and B. Kobe was the one pushing for it. Jay Williams on the NBA today podcast a couple weeks ago had about an hour long non stop rant proving he knew very little.

Players know the plays their team runs, They know the scouting report on their defensive assignment, and they know the best strip clubs in each city. There are players who opinions I would value (Cp3, Jason Kidd, gasol,) Dirk Derek Fisher.) But on a whole they clearly know much more about their little bubble than the basketball world at large. For instance it would be better to as an anthropologist about a remote south american tribe than it would be to ask the tribe members themselves. They're to wrapped up in their own world to give you a clear perspective.

Why is it that everyone fan knows Lamarcus Aldridge should be playing more back to the basket but he doesn't seem to know it.? How come Kobe is the only person that doesn't know iso Kobe ball doesn't work? How come the whole world was screaming at lebron for years to get a post game before he listened? How come I, a lowly fan, was yelling at my T.v. for westbrook not to lose Parker on the last shot of the spurs game moments before he did lose parker and subsequently lost the game. How come I know when Chris Paul is about to go to the elbow jumper but half the time his defender doesn't?

Simmons might not be right, I have no idea what he said. But Ad Hominem attacks don't help your case a bit.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go finish Tommy Heinsohns book: A Fair and Balanced Perspective on the Celtics Place in History.
    I have to say, that was a very good post.

I remember reading this article about Patrick Ewing by David Halberstam (the guy who wrote the preface to that top 50 NBA players book that came out in the 90's). I don't think the guy ever played basketball, but it was a really interesting, insightful look at Pat and different from anything I'd ever heard before considering my family was all big Patrick fans.

and then you have Shaq--who was actually a very intelligent who understood the concept of making his teammates better--saying dumb nonsense all the time.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    This. Why do you think the lion's share of coaches have played in the pros?
    [/LIST]
    Lmao, like 95% of NBA coaches are horrible. Most high school girl coaches know more about the game than them. Give me a break, you act like Scott Brooks and Mark Jackson are basketball savants. LOL

Banned

Bill has been around basketball longer than Kyrie has lived. And when I say around basketball I don't mean just watching it on TV.

Learning to shoot layups

Think Kyrie might be upset about BS calling Tristan Thompson a bust, whenver he mentions kyrie he also mentions Cavs blowing the 4th pick on TT.

I don't like Simmons but still a silly statement from Irving.

Serious playground baller Jolokia's Avatar

He'll never know how it feels to dribble up the court to a bunch of 6-7ft guys protecting the basket like their own wife's hole with thousands of people watching you attack it.

He can only analyze it but no way does he know how it feels. There's two sides to the story.

Also, Irving will never know how it is to get a master's in journalism and analyze from an outsider's point of view as a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolokia
    He'll never know how it feels to dribble up the court to a bunch of 6-7ft guys protecting the basket like their own wife's hole with thousands of people watching you attack it.

He can only analyze it but no way does he know how it feels. There's two sides to the story.

Also, Irving will never know how it is to get a master's in journalism and analyze from an outsider's point of view as a professional.
    Going to Duke (for even a year) I'd say he has a better grasp than you give him credit for.

love it, I love kyrie irving.. some people call it arrogance/youth but I see a lot of confidence and intelligence behind it too.

Kyrie is making an astute observation about the nature of commentating.. most color commentators//announcers/analysts have in fact never played professional ball, they just watched/covered a lot of it and possess the literature/journalism education/background to communicate it to an audience. I think Irving is one of the smart individuals (educated at Duke) who is making a broader statement about the nature of the business vs just attacking one specific commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy

- You are way off on your silly tangent...

- Ask an anthropologists about a certain tribes history (ones that he studied) and he may give you some great answers.....

But ask him how to live in the Jungle.....survive off the land......get water.....hunt?.....who's advice would you want?...

someone from the tribe who's been living in the jungle thier whole life....or an anthropologists who lived in the jungle maybe 2 weeks.

- Players are the ones Playing the game...they know what works....they know to attack 1' away from the defenders reach or 2'...they know how the game's soul and how it's bieng played at that time....

- No way someone who barely plays basketball and just watches knows more then those who spent thier whole lives playing......they might know the history and can resite certain plays....but they

- The tribes men know how to live and thrive off the Land....not an anthropologists...Kobe knows how to play basketball at a level 2nd to no one....and thrive on a basketball court......not Bill Simmons.

.....@U......taking advice how to swim from someone who never been in the water......but watched Michael Phelps once on TV.

Serious playground baller Jolokia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - You are way off on your silly tangent...

- Ask an anthropologists about a certain tribes history (ones that he studied) and he may give you some great answers.....

But ask him how to live in the Jungle.....survive off the land......get water.....hunt?.....who's advice would you want?...

someone from the tribe who's been living in the jungle thier whole life....or an anthropologists who lived in the jungle maybe 2 weeks.

- Players are the ones Playing the game...they know what works....they know to attack 1' away from the defenders reach or 2'...they know how the game's soul and how it's bieng played at that time....

- No way someone who barely plays basketball and just watches knows more then those who spent thier whole lives playing......they might know the history and can resite certain plays....but they

- The tribes men know how to live and thrive off the Land....not an anthropologists...Kobe knows how to play basketball at a level 2nd to no one....and thrive on a basketball court......not Bill Simmons.

.....@U......taking advice how to swim from someone who never been in the water......but watched Michael Phelps once on TV.

Banned

Simmons is an expert... but he's still blinded by homerism all the time and he's incredibly annoying on television.