Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Stopped a friend from drinking and driving last weekend. And now,

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    You're all adults. Mind your own f*cking business. You have no obligation to babysit anyone. Not saying what you did was wrong, but I'm not gonna say you're some white knight either.

Whoa, gonna have to disagree big time.

You cant play with that stuff man. They might all BE adults, doesnt mean they were all actin like ones.

Too many lives are lost or ruined thanks to drunk drivers. If you have the opportunity to prevent even the possibility of it happening to someone elses innocent family, do it.

I applaud you OP. "Principes over popularity", thats my motto. I hope you would do this again if you find yourself in the position again. You def have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    I'm seen as having overstepped boundaries.

This person was one of 6 people at my house. He was not fit to drive under any conditions, that was certain. The others knew it, but they were not adamant that he not drive - I was the only one putting my foot down.

A cab was called, as the solution. guess who paid. would have drove him myself but I wasn't in a state to drive, and he had drank more than me!

Anyway now I'm getting told by one of them that 4 of the 6 others have since had lunch and a conversation took place where the gist of it was that I was overbearing. This has happened over the course of a whole entire week and I'm still ostracized after all this time? Where are peoples' priorities?

My execution could have been better, but in what world is that a consideration I have to make when I'm trying to save a friend's life?

I have to try so hard not to lose my cool and say "fine, **** you, next time, just stay to the right of the median, hit a tree on your side of the road not a family of four in the opposite lane"

Don't be the guy who does the right thing
    It's called the art of persuasion. Nobody likes an overbearing person. If you're one of those people who hasn't mastered that art, then people are gonna hate you for doing the right thing (or the wrong thing). If that is the case then you need to apologize after doing the right things. It would smooth over a lot of the bad feelings.

There's a difference in how you approach it. You need to show that you really care about the person instead of showing care towards doing the right thing. If a friend takes my key from my hand and hide em and start to lecture me about safety of drinking and driving it will leave bad feelings. If he begged me not to drive, then take my key and beg me some more and show that he cares while calling a cab and paying for it, that will leave a very good impression of the person he is.

Whatever you need to tell yourself. Why don't you start a thread about what a jerk I am just so you can have some e-friends to back you up on that too? Clearly you aren't capable of making decisions without a general consensus behind you.
    Damn, you're an asshole.

he's alive and that's what matters, **** all that other noise.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

You did the right thing, your friend can't make the responsible decision you made one for him. Anyone who even think otherwise is a dumbazz

Welcome to the world of responsible adults... it's a thankless job.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    It's called the art of persuasion. Nobody likes an overbearing person. If you're one of those people who hasn't mastered that art, then people are gonna hate you for doing the right thing (or the wrong thing). If that is the case then you need to apologize after doing the right things. It would smooth over a lot of the bad feelings.

There's a difference in how you approach it. You need to show that you really care about the person instead of showing care towards doing the right thing. If a friend takes my key from my hand and hide em and start to lecture me about safety of drinking and driving it will leave bad feelings. If he begged me not to drive, then take my key and beg me some more and show that he cares while calling a cab and paying for it, that will leave a very good impression of the person he is.
    If someone took your keys, how can it leave a bad impression the next day if you were drunk as a skunk the night before? You most likely will make a fuss about in during your drunken state, but you'll definitely forget all about after you wake up.

Also, why should a person have to resort to "begging" just to leave a good impression? If I'm committing an act to potentially save your life, I couldn't care less about making a good impression.
    Last edited by Tarik One; 10-27-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Everyone will get over it. It'll be a bad story of you and it'll be brought up once in a while, but in a couple of weeks, it should be water under the bridge.

You obviously have 4 friends who are idiots.

You did the right thing, if only drunk drivers just killed themselves in accidents then **** them, let em drive drunk but those assholes kill innocent people too.

Assuming the man was wasted, you absolutely did the right thing. When I was in high school we all used to drive drunk after parties and even joke about it, and have that johndeergreen dickhead attitude like "its their business" Then one night 4 of our friends leave a party all trashed, saying bye to everyone before leaving saying "oh dave's driving us home", the driver was drunk as fvck. About an hour later most of us are still there and we find out they somehow flipped the jeep they were in and all 4 of them died. You are also right that wherever they come from in legally responsible, not just bars. If they wana do that when youre not around, you can't stop them. And it is a fine line between being overbearing and responsible, but just use your best judgement because in those situations its better to be safe than sorry

Banned

How drunk are we talking about here? Me personally, I'm not so sure I don't drive just a little bit better after a few drinks...

You don't have to worry about what idiots think of you, if morons think badly of you, you know where you stand in life

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I had a barely 7 year old family member killed by a drunk driver years ago. Dude drove up onto the sidewalk near a school in the afternoon.

You did the right thing. Ive stopped people from driving when crazy drunk. They never had a problem with it later. Some did at the time but...**** it.

Ive seen lots of somewhat drunk friends drive so its not an every time thing. But when it seems over the top ill step in. Only happened maybe 2-3 times in like 15 years though.

I once had a good friend knocking on my door...calling for me to come out and give him his keys....when I was next to him at the door. He told me...that I had his keys...not knowing who I was. He gradually sobered up and drove him. He was probably over the limit even then. But he was functional.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

i applaud bourne. Not enough people do what you do. I never let people drink and drive from my house. I don't want that on me.

No idea.

Like I said, you probably did do the right thing, and if buddy is pissed off because you did, then f*ck him, but at the same time - you aren't his babysitter. If buddy wants to be a moron it's not your duty to stop him.
    Isn't that the point of being a friend, that you help them out if they're being stupid/drunk?