Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Math Help

This **** is ****ing whack mayne. ****** got vocab.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
Gifted Mind
Objectivity

Gifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
On a sidenote, I've got a Multivariable Calculus Exam tomorrow and right now I'm hovering at an 80 average. I have to throw down an A- at least, and I've been dozing off in class. If someone can help me out with Line Integrals, Green's Theorem, Stoke's Theorem. I'll be grateful. I'll f*ckin do good for the human race.
I would offer assistance if you didn't act like such a douche bag in response to me all the time.
Gifted Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
I would offer assistance if you didn't act like such a douche bag in response to me all the time.

I don't recall replying to you, like ever. But if you're too weak to fulfill your enlightenin' gimmick obligations from someone who's directed a few insults towards you, then so be it.

But why don't you take this opportunity to show off what you know about curls, gradients, iterated integrals and the whole shennanigans... Don't fill out the technical computations or anything. Just engage us in a symbolic conversation, and the significance/real-life applications of the aforementioned concepts. It most certainly wouldn't help me out in my exam.

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 05-03-2009 at 04:21 PM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
spree43
High School Varsity 12th Man

spree43 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Tomorrow morning, I can. But ISH mathematical minds come first.

Greens theorem

Typical question
y2 dx + 3xy dy

Name the first part P and the second Q

Then get the double intergral of (derivitive of Q with respect to x) - (derivitive of P with respect to y)

So you basicly differentiate first part with respect to y and the second with x then get the double integral

EXAMPLE answer
P = y2
Q = 3xy

dP/dy = 2y
dQ/dx = 3y
Then get the double integral of (3y-2y=y) with the bounds given in the question that your using
spree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thanks for the help but that's exactly how our prof taught us bro and my only problem is finding out the f*ckin bounds.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #21
spree43

Quote:
Thanks for the help but that's exactly how our prof taught us bro and my only problem is finding out the f*ckin bounds.
The bounds are a bit harder, but it depends on the question

If its a triangle one you either get (0,0), (2,0), (2,1) or a variation in the question or in a diagram.
Use this one
The bounds are;
x = 2. (Because this is the vertical boundand it desn't vary therefore doesn't have to include y)
y = 1/2 x (this basicly the equation of the diagonal line with respect to x, when y=1, x=2, when y=0.5, x=1)

I know there are harder ones and they are probably the ones your stuck on, but this is the best i can do for now

Theres some examples of harder ones at the bottom of this link
http://faculty.eicc.edu/bwood/ma220s...lemental31.htm

Last edited by spree43 : 05-03-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Has anyone here ever just read a math textbook? In high school I just did what the teachers told me to do for the test but last summer I just bought a stats and probability textbook and read it cover to cover and found it incredibly fascinating.

Quote:
You douche, I thought you'd left. Have you gotten into Stanford yet? Have you gotten there and discovered they talk like normal people over there, and at at Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Brown and Amherst too? And that the only people who talk like you talk are fictional characters?
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #23
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Mikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crounsa810
Combining Functions

Combining functions is when you do g o f (x). g o f (x) = g (f(x)). So you gotta calculate f(x) first and then that will be your x in your g(x). You gotta be careful when you combine functions. The range of the first function must be in the domain of the second. For example if

f(x) = -x - 5 (always negative)
g = square root function

g o f doesn't exist in that situation, because g (something negative) is impossible. So whenever you have a g o f (x) thing, always make sure it's legit.

Quote:
Inverse Functions and their Representations

f(x) = y

The inverse function is the function (let's call it g) that will do g(y) = x. It doesn't always exist. For every y, there must be one and only one x.

For example if f(x) = x, f doesn't have an inverse function

f(3) = 9
f(-3) = 9

So for 9, you have 2 possible numbers. So it's not invertible.

In terms of composition, you have g o f = f o g = Id. Id is the function h(x) = x.

Again you have to be careful about the range and the domain of those functions. The domain of one must be the range of the other one.

Quote:
Exponential Functions and Models

Exponential is the function that's the answer to the differential equation y' = y. So when you derive that function, you have the exact same thing.

exp(x) = 1 + x + x/2 + (x^3)/6 + ... + (x^n) / (n!) + ... (goes on forever)

Derive that, you get the exact same thing.

It's also e^x, where e is a real number, so it has all the properties you could expect from it.

exp(a+b) = exp(a) * exp(b).

It's no different than when you do x * x^3 = x^5

x * x^3 = x^(2+3) = x^5

exp(a-b) = exp(a)/exp(b)

Because a-b = a + (-b). And x^(-n) = 1/(x^n)

Quote:
Logarithmic Functions and Models

Log is the inverse function of exp.

ln(e^x) = x

And when you derive it, you get the function x --> 1/x

And one piece of advice, f and f(x) are not the same thing. f(x) is a number, f is a function. So never say g(x) is the inverse function of f(x), that doesn't make any sense.
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
Gifted Mind
Objectivity

Gifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this boardGifted Mind is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastyVegetables
The members of ISH would not act like douche bags if you would stop posing from your high horse like you are better than everyone else.
And precisely what did I do? I just assist folks with a math problem when they have one. After I assist them, I leave. I do not talk about any other subject besides the one on hand. Nonetheless, I receive unforeseen comments of depreciation. The perceptions that "I think I am better than anyone else" are just fabrications formulated by your mind.
Gifted Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
spree43

I get the impression that there are about 5-10 posters on all of ISH and they all have multiple personality disorder and all have about 10 accounts each, then there are a bunch of celtics, lebron and kobe homers and thats it around here
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: