Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: my quitting smoking journal

how id kill for a cigarette right now.

No gym today probably is what is setting my cravings off right now.

Going for a late night run to help me get to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    People who smoke in NY make me laugh. It's $11 a pack. ELEVEN DOLLARS. you have to be nuts to spend $11 a day on something that essentially is killing you and not in a subtle fashion.
    It has nothing to do with being nuts but everything to do with being addicted to nicotine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba
    how id kill for a cigarette right now.

No gym today probably is what is setting my cravings off right now.

Going for a late night run to help me get to bed.
    You should really get that easyway book already posted about in this thread, it's going to help you out a lot.

You are showing every sign of starting up again with the way you're going about your quitting.

You are not craving a cigarette because you didn't go to the gym, you're craving it because you think you crave it, and that's your problem.
    Right now you are in a state where you think you miss cigarettes, where you think something has been taken away from you and that smoking is still something you'd enjoy.

In short, the book will help you get to a state where when you think about a cigarette you will think about good it feels not to smoke it, not how much you'd wish you could just smoke that one last cigarette.

The book also deal a lot with realizing that it's hard to quit cigarettes because society and other people say it is. Think of a nicotine gum commercial, their main point is telling you that it's hard to quit, that you really can't and instead need a substitute. They do this because they want you to buy their products.

[QUOTE=ZenMaster]You should really get that easyway book already posted about in this thread, it's going to help you out a lot.

You are showing every sign of starting up again with the way you're going about your quitting.

You are not craving a cigarette because you didn't go to the gym, you're craving it because you think you crave it, and that's your problem.
    Right now you are in a state where you think you miss cigarettes, where you think something has been taken away from you and that smoking is still something you'd enjoy.

In short, the book will help you get to a state where when you think about a cigarette you will think about good it feels not to smoke it, not how much you'd wish you could just smoke that one last cigarette.

The book also deal a lot with realizing that it's hard to quit cigarettes because society and other people say it is. Think of a nicotine gum commercial, their main point is telling you that it's hard to quit, that you really can't and instead need a substitute. They do this because they want you to buy their products.

tbh that was just a bad craving episode and i needed to vent. not craving anymore at this time (basically why i started this thread, helping me vent and try and clear my mind whilst i make entries along the way)

Also i have the book, just haven't read it. Paid the full $19.95 for it as well.
    Shut down your browser and start reading, reading that book is the best advice you'll ever get for this.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Sounds like you kicked it. Let's hear your story.

OK. Prior to my 20's I probably hadn't smoked a total of one pack. Random smoke at a party kinda guy. Took a job where everyone smoked; this before indoor smoking and smoking in the workplace became taboo. Went almost immediately to a 1//2 to a pack a day smoker.

At 30 I was out of shape for the first time in my life and decided it was time to change that. Took about 30 minutes to figure out that I needed to be able to breathe first. Got the patch and, after a couple tries, quit completely.

Roughly 10 years later I again had shortness of breath and was diagnosed with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, a somewhat rare genetic disorder that results in emphysema. I was in bad shape, and am only alive today thanks to a double lung transplant in 2008. The doctors say that had I not quit smoking when I did, the damage would have come much more rapidly. Additionally, had I still been smoking, insurance would have decreed me ineligible for Alpha-1 therapy and the lung transplant.

For years after I quit I'd smell a cigarette in certain situations and have a craving. But they became fewer and farther between. Now the smell repulses me.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    OK. Prior to my 20's I probably hadn't smoked a total of one pack. Random smoke at a party kinda guy. Took a job where everyone smoked; this before indoor smoking and smoking in the workplace became taboo. Went almost immediately to a 1//2 to a pack a day smoker.

At 30 I was out of shape for the first time in my life and decided it was time to change that. Took about 30 minutes to figure out that I needed to be able to breathe first. Got the patch and, after a couple tries, quit completely.

Roughly 10 years later I again had shortness of breath and was diagnosed with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, a somewhat rare genetic disorder that results in emphysema. I was in bad shape, and am only alive today thanks to a double lung transplant in 2008. The doctors say that had I not quit smoking when I did, the damage would have come much more rapidly. Additionally, had I still been smoking, insurance would have decreed me ineligible for Alpha-1 therapy and the lung transplant.

For years after I quit I'd smell a cigarette in certain situations and have a craving. But they became fewer and farther between. Now the smell repulses me.
    Congratulations. I need to hear stories like these to motivate myself. I started smoking for a stupid reason: I was working at a very stressful private company where breaks were few and far in between besides the usual lunch break, and the older veterans had more breaks (meaning when they get a craving), they were allowed to go outside for 10-15 minutes whenever they feel like it; at first, I was just pretending to puff the cigs and blowing it out, but then over time, I started inhaling and the rest was history.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Congratulations. I need to hear stories like these to motivate myself. I started smoking for a stupid reason: I was working at a very stressful private company where breaks were few and far in between besides the usual lunch break, and the older veterans had more breaks (meaning when they get a craving), they were allowed to go outside for 10-15 minutes whenever they feel like it; at first, I was just pretending to puff the cigs and blowing it out, but then over time, I started inhaling and the rest was history.
    Good luck. You absolutely can do it.

today i felt like a million bucks!

No craving episodes of nicotine. Nothing, no bodily feeling of wanting a cigarette just all mental, so i picked up a book every time i was bored rather than go smoke a cigarette. It just felt better :)

Quote Originally Posted by JMT

i didnt even now that this kind of procedure was possible.

Didn't read the whole thread but i didn't had a cigarette in 2 weeks. What helped me a lot quitting was this method: http://allencarr.com/

Once you understand why you smoke it's a lot easier to quit. It's really not that hard to stop smoking.

you have 10000 posts on an internet forum. some would say your addicted to inside hoops. would you say you have no personality??
    If you cant stop doing something that affects your life negatively means you are weak
    as in cigs, alcohol, drugs, gambling etc etc.. not posting on internet forum or any addictions based on watching or training sport

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    If you cant stop doing something that affects your life negatively means you are weak
    as in cigs, alcohol, drugs, gambling etc etc.. not posting on internet forum or any addictions based on watching or training sport
    you said no personality not weakness.

I'll admit to being stupid when i was younger and started the habit. At least i was out of the house.

I think being locked up in your parents basement and posting 30 times a day is worse buddy. zero social interaction

you said no personality not weakness.

I'll admit to being stupid when i was younger and started the habit. At least i was out of the house.

I think being locked up in your parents basement and posting 30 times a day is worse buddy. zero social interaction
    i post an average 8 posts a day mostly from my phone while watching soccer matches...
    you are weak, deal with it

Give op his respect. It's not easy, we know how hard it is. Coming from someone who every single friend I have have smoked and are druggies, pot heads, etc, I'm going on 21 years strong without ever even smoking once.

$11 a pack a day is a shit load of money to save, let alone spend. Think about it, $11 a day multiplied by 7 days. $77+ sales tax saved a week alone. That's enough money per 8-9 months to get you a helping hand on a new car, or shit like that.

I just left my boy not to long ago, he's about to burn mid grade weed for $30-35 with a boy. This dude is constantly smoking. I mean the extra cash might not mean much but the life your saving alone is just worth it.
    Last edited by Draz; 04-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.