Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

Default What the Lakers need to do this off-season

1) Sign Jose Calderon as our starting PG. He's got extremely good basketball IQ, great passer, great shooter, good slasher and defender, very good ballhandling and rarely turns the ball over.

2) Trade Kwame + our pick to Sacramento for Ron Artest. He'll definitely make a positive impact on this team on his FIRST season as he has in Indiana and Sacramento. Lakers need a great perimeter defender to help Kobe out, great 3rd option to have and plays extremely hard which as we know can be infectious to teammates.

3) Trade Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal. If Garnett demands a trade to L.A, even better.

4) Resign Chris Mihm and have him start at Center.

5) If possible, resign Luke Walton as our 6th man for no more than 4 mill/5 years.

6) Get rid of Cook/Vujacic, however they decide to do this.

Lakers lineup

Mihm/Turiaf
JO/Radmanovic
Artest/Walton
Kobe/Evans
Calderon/Farmar

Last edited by LakersDynasty : 05-07-2007 at 01:12 AM.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Laker's Future
Banned

Default Re: What the Lakers need to do this off-season

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
1) Sign Jose Calderon as our starting PG. He's got extremely good basketball IQ, great passer, great shooter, good slasher and defender, very good ballhandling and rarely turns the ball over.

2) Trade Kwame + our pick to Sacramento for Ron Artest. He'll definitely make a positive impact on this team on his FIRST season as he has in Indiana and Sacramento. Lakers need a great perimeter defender to help Kobe out, great 3rd option to have and plays extremely hard which as we know can be infectious to teammates.

3) Trade Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal.

4) Resign Chris Mihm and have him start at Center.

5) If possible, resign Luke Walton as our 6th man for no more than 4 mill/5 years.

Lakers lineup

Mihm/Turiaf
JO/Radmanovic
Artest/Walton
Kobe/Evans
Calderon/Farmar

So if Milm gets hurt and retires or some thing, does that mean we're screwed. Or are we going to make JO start at center Artest at PF and Walton at SF. Good plan but I thing we're going to have a hole at center. But I do hope Milm is able to fully return, and I don't think I like trading Odom and Bynum in one trade especially for JO he's having knee surgery and is going to be injured prome. And Calderon might be a good pick up for the East but not the West. IMO
Laker's Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
sammdogg
Good High School Starter

i think that is very unlikely and i dont think JO would want to come to LA with Artest here
sammdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Laker's Future
Banned

I do like the Idea of getting Artest. But I doubt the Kings would want Brown. Both Artest and Brown are in their last year, and plus our 19th pick should be use in a different trade if we were to trade it.
Laker's Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker's Future
So if Milm gets hurt and retires or some thing, does that mean we're screwed. Or are we going to make JO start at center Artest at PF and Walton at SF. Good plan but I thing we're going to have a hole at center. But I do hope Milm is able to fully return, and I don't think I like trading Odom and Bynum in one trade especially for JO he's having knee surgery and is going to be injured prome. And Calderon might be a good pick up for the East but not the West. IMO
I hope we can somehow package Radmanovic with someone and trade him for a decent Center, but I don't know if that's possible since Radmanovic is worthless.

Calderon seems like the best option out there with what we can afford. Ideally, I'd rather have someone like Billups who will receive a max contract from Detroit or Mo Williams who should receive 10~ mill a year this off-season. Lakers don't need a great player at PG (of course that's a plus). As long as our PG can pass, shoot, drive, take care of the ball, facilitate, defend, we should be happy with that. Smush can't even do one of those things right. Calderon is ideal for the triangle system.

I just think that we need an all-star at the PF position moreso than the PG position, you can't win in the playoffs without a very good big man (unless it's Golden State).

You replace Smush with Calderon, Lamar with JO, Luke with Artest and you're already much much better than last season. This team would be a contender without a doubt.

Ball handling: Kobe, Calderon, Artest
Defense: Artest, JO, Kobe
Passing: Kobe, Artest, Calderon
Rebounding: JO, Kobe, Artest, Mihm
Shooting: Kobe, Calderon, Artest (hope he keeps it to a minimum)
Shotblocking: JO, Mihm, Artest
Slashing: Kobe, Artest, Calderon
Post up: JO, Artest, Kobe

This team would have very few weaknesses, barring injuries they could beat anyone in the league if the chemistry is there. And the best thing is that all of this is possible if Mitch is really dedicated to getting help for Kobe. JO wants out, Artest most likely won't be a King next season, and Calderon will always be stuck behind Ford even though he could start for a lot of teams in the league, so he'll probably look for a new team as well if the right offer is made. There's also a chance we get Garnett if we package Odom/Radman/Bynum for him and he demands a trade to L.A which would make us instant favorites to win the title.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammdogg
i think that is very unlikely and i dont think JO would want to come to LA with Artest here
They were very good friends in Indiana until Artest demanded a trade, I'm sure that if it gives them a chance to win a title for a few years to come they would squash any beef that they may have had, especially with Phil as the coach.

It's going to be a very deep draft so the 19th pick should be a very promising player. If the Kings trade Artest they will go into a rebuilding mode and get rid of Miller/Bibby as well and build around Kevin Martin. The Maloofs probably won't do the trade unless Artest demands a trade or we sweeten the deal. Either way, I highly doubt Artest stays a King next season and the Lakers could be one of the frontrunners in acquiring him. The question is, will Mitch really pursue him?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Don't you think that's way too many moves for the Lakers to make? They probably haven't done that much the last 6 years combined lol.
Anyway, plenty of options are out there. It's on them to execute. I won't even bother with the off season scenario since every year I get it all wrong and they do completely the opposite but all I'm interested in is getting a star.
We perferably trade for JO. If not, get Artest. If any other star is available, bring him in but these two look to be most likely at this point.
As for free agents, there's already a list of my MLE candidates somewhere round here.

I just hope they're active and able to address the whole situation for once and not leave people like Chucky Atkins and Smush Parker at starting position 3 freaking years in a row.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #8
Cool
College superstar

That sounds pretty realistic, and it seems that it could be done. But for the Lakers management I have my doubts. So hopefully they will prove us all wrong and make some major changes.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker's Future

mariodeathgrip's back!!!!!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 AM   #10
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Calderon isn't a FA till next year.

Here's a good list of FA's

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2654216

And as for Calderon, forget it lol. He has value and the Raptors have the best GM in the league. Not exactly the best mix.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #11
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
Calderon isn't a FA till next year.

Here's a good list of FA's

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2654216

And as for Calderon, forget it lol. He has value and the Raptors have the best GM in the league. Not exactly the best mix.
Damn, why the hell did I think he was a FA?

In that case, they should try to pursue Earl Watson.

Yeah, that's a lot of off-season moves to pull off but for this first time in two years I fully expect them to follow through with their promises, this is basically their last chance to rebuild around Kobe. Another mediocre season and Kobe is as good as gone. Even Cupcake can't screw this one up, no one should be safe this off-season. Whether it's Odom, Bynum, or a draft pick, if the right deal is knocking on the door, and it's to the benefit of the Lakers in the short run, they have to pull the trigger. Some analyst was saying yesterday that "Kobe Bryant loves Los Angeles, he loves the fans and the organization, but not as much as he likes winning." And that's the truth.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
MagicToWorthy
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Why does everyone spell Mihm's name "Milm"???!!!!
It makes my brain hurt to see it. Why, why, why?!!!

I must know!
MagicToWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicToWorthy
Why does everyone spell Mihm's name "Milm"???!!!!
It makes my brain hurt to see it. Why, why, why?!!!

I must know!
better than spelling it MILF
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: