Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    A little fighting is good to clear emotions in a game.. in an NBA game players hold back until theyre really sick of whats ever going on and they explode causing a big scuffle spreading across the court

There's ettiquette in hockey fighting.. theyre on skates so its always in a small stretch of ice, they throw punches and grab/block.. its pretty simple on skates. First to go down and fight is over. No 'retaliation' or gang jumpings. Its fair and settles the dispute and makes sure pent up rage doesnt make a player do something he may regret.

When youre out on a bball court you could have these guys chasing each other going everywhere, diving at each other, running around.. its just too wild and uncontrolled. Plus there would be no ettituquette like in hockey.. and they dont have pads and helmets on so it would likely be more dangerous. Just not a good idea for basketball based on how it operates
    You mean like beating someone over the head with a stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    One would thinking having gloves, sticks and fighting on ice would be more dangerous than hardwood.
    Players almost never fight with their sticks. It will get you suspended or banned and in some cases arrested.

The reason fighting is considered part of the game is the sticks. People use their sticks all the time in ways the refs don't catch. The argument is guys would use their sticks way too much during the game if they could do it and not face a beating.

Imagine a coach facing a prime Wayne Gretzky? He could tell his players just to slash at Gretzky. What's a couple of penalties vs taking out the greatest player ever? The reason fighting is somewhat sanctioned in hockey is the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Players almost never fight with their sticks. It will get you suspended or banned and in some cases arrested.

The reason fighting is considered part of the game is the sticks. People use their sticks all the time in ways the refs don't catch. The argument is guys would use their sticks way too much during the game if they could do it and not face a beating.

Imagine a coach facing a prime Wayne Gretzky? He could tell his players just to slash at Gretzky. What's a couple of penalties vs taking out the greatest player ever? The reason fighting is somewhat sanctioned in hockey is the sticks.

So with the cameras and technology we have now [I can see what you mean when referring to the 60s-80's] why can't that be cleaned up through the league office?

Earned not given

So much ignorance in this thread about hockey...if you take the time to learn about the sport it can be very, very fun to watch. I hear it's very fun to play as well however I couldn't do it because I value my teeth too much. I personally think it's more entertaining than baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    So much ignorance in this thread about hockey...if you take the time to learn about the sport it can be very, very fun to watch. I hear it's very fun to play as well however I couldn't do it because I value my teeth too much. I personally think it's more entertaining than baseball.
    Well then educate us.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Well then educate us.
    Here you go.

College star

Hockey players who brawl are looked at as goons.

It's strategic. If a team's energy is dormant or seeming nonchalant, a goon or intimidator will bite the bullet and start a fist fight, hopeully to energize his team with some tenacity. Players always react to a fight, a good one no doubt gets them fired up even more than a lame, scripted one.

There's your answer.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-19-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Dudes have big padded gloves and helmets on.
    They are on ice skates.
    There is a glass barrier between fans and players.
    Fights are mostly one on one.
    Gloves and helmets are shedded when they fight. Once in a while, a helmet may stay on but they usually get thrown off

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Not about hockey you buffoon about the ignorance in your fellow posters remarks.

I'm saying that NBA/NFL players have a small skirmish and they are fined, looked down upon, and called thugs[/B]. Hockey players do it an they are called tough.

I can see why fighting isn't permitted in the NBA...the game revolves around flow.

I can see why fighting isn't allowed in the NFL....it would be pandemonium.

What I can't see is why NFL players, who push and shove each other all game, are fined and hyper surveilled when it comes to physicality...if the NFL had a fight like this it would be the opening story on every sports news show...people would be questioning their morals for wasting the fans money and all that.

This is your main motivation for creating the thread. You just want another circumstance in life to be able to cry unequal racial perception. "When blacks fight, they are thugs, why can't the white hockey guys be seen as lowly goons too wah wah wah wah."

Hockey is a rough, contact sport. Whether you know anything about how the game works or not, fighting serves a legit purpose for the guys playing. It's not JUST for the fans and entertainment.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-19-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Local High School Star MightyWhitey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wachter
    Side note: the creator of this thread is openly racist.

Continue.
    I concur.

Earned not given

Not about hockey you buffoon about the ignorance in your fellow posters remarks.

You weren't specific.

The ignorance about the sport and fighting just comes from a lack of understanding of the sport. A few posters have already eloquently stated why fighting is around in hockey and the impact it can have. Some people say hockey is an irrelevant sport or that it's boring to watch but I say those people don't know what they're talking about.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Why is hockey the only major sport that sanctions fighting? What purpose does fighting serve? Is the sport so boring that it actually needs fights to keep interest? It seems highly barbaric.

But seriously, why?

Why can't basketball incorporate this? Floppers can get their @ss beat and the fake tough guys can be weeded out.
    In hockey you're on skates. No one can get leverage on a punch if they're on skates. They also have pads.

So it's usually not even that bad.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Because it's as much apart of the sport as anything? It's been around forever. The actual reasons differs depending on who you ask, it use to be the "enforcers" protected your skill players. People wouldn't throw dirty hits on your star players with a guy out there who's sole purpose was to knock you out. Isn't so much the case these days. Momentum. Helps change the the flow of the game. Venting, sports cause alot of emotion. Guy might be less likely to throw a hit from behind or something dirty if he can just drop the gloves.

Grew up playing hockey and watching it. Some people want it out of the game, IMO that would be terrible. It's apart of the history of the game, and has been on every level. Right down to road hockey with friends. Dropping the mitts is just as much apart of hockey as a stepback jumper. That's why they get away with it. Shit you think that brawl was bad? Go look at the history of the game