Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Nerlens Noel Defense 2014-15

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Embiid can shoot the ball. He's not just a back to the basket center. His offensive game has endless potential. I could see him following the arc of Anthony Davis, who pretty quickly added a consistent jumpshot to his arsenal.

So, you put a do-it-all offensive talent like that alongside an offensive garbage man/motor guy ...

It could yield great results. And don't forget they have what looks like a very versatile offensive weapon coming in Dario Saric.

Defensively, Noel and Embiid are going to be scary. Everyone complains about how the Sixers are juking the system... I just think they've been really smart. Patience by the organization and the fanbase is going to pay off bigtime. A few rough years from a W-L perspective will end up being well worth the potential of this lineup.
    I absolutely agree and am in the camp that believes that the pair can play together long-term, as well as either play C alongside Saric (I think he can only play PF, but we'll see). The 76ers have potentially a very stacked big man rotation going forward, especially if Embiid has recovered from his injuries as well as Noel bounced back from his ACL tear.

I'm fully on board with Hinkie's strategy, too, and that's the general method I would take to build a team. The current system incentivizes stripping down the roster to have as many shots as possible at top draft picks, including having the flexibility to make trades for superstars with the right combo of young talent and picks.

I just want to see Embiid healthy for a full year of NBA ball. I think, even if healthy, they will have some growing pains on offense though. BB's staff has made big progress with Noel, but having Embiid play more of a high-post role when they share the court nullifies his post-up potential, since I think they'll have Noel play a role similar to the one DJ has played on LAC (though I think he's on a better offensive trajectory than DJ so far). Embiid has the shooting/passing skills to make that system work and I'm stoked to see it next season. I'm not worried about their defensive potential though, but rather excited, especially if Embiid is 100% healthy.

Also, I think Saric is growing very nicely overseas, and though he may wait until the summer of 2017 to make the jump to the NBA (he can make *much* more money sitting out 3 years vs. 2 years), he will be a really nice sparkplug off the bench. Great combo of feel, hustle, ballhandling, passing, and height.

My bad for the long-winded response RBA, but you're one of the few posters here that I can actually talk ball with haha.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    That was as a center. With Embiid penciled in as our starting Center how will he fare as our PF?
    Dude he moves like a guard. I think He'll be ok. I do kinda know what you mean though. As a Center in these highlights, he's always around the paint action where he can utilize his best talents (blocks/steals). If he plays PF and faces a ryan anderson type, he gets pulled way too far from the basket to affect much.

Watched this full vid and while I realized they are only showing glimpses of his defense, my god the potential is there. You don't see these types of highlights from role player bigs. He reminded me of big ben with some of those steals man which is crazy. Also his weakside help is elite. He'll be in a much better situation when there is Embiid to clean those rebounds up after his blocks instead of the opposing team getting putbacks (as seen in highlights).
    Last edited by Dbrog; 06-01-2015 at 03:45 AM.

Kudos to the very insightful posts by RBA and Swish on this thread.

Noel proved on a consistent basis after the ASB and post MCW that he could, at times, dominate the painted area, not just with the highlight defense, but surprisingly, even a semblance of an offensive game was starting to develop.

Because of this, Coach BB, perhaps on suggestion by GM SH, started playing Noel in the PF role for a few games to end the season. Perhaps, Noel having proved himself at center, BB wanted to see how he would do at the PF working with Embiid. The results were mixed, as Gobb pointed out. NN will surely have a transition process here, and there is some concern that Jojo and NN may struggle playing together.

Defensively, NN is more than capable of playing stretch 4s, but you do take away some of the best things he does on defense, which is to protect the painted area. Against teams that play an old fashioned style of 2 bigs in the paint on offense, well, good luck on that.

Offensively, NN will need to be able to shoot short set shots as Embiid's presence will surely draw double teams. With the upcoming draft, the presence of a good PG that can shoot the lights out(Russel) and shooters on the wings are a must for the 76er program to reach it's ultimate destination.

We're getting closer. All you Hinkie haters out there or posters who expect their teams to compete yearly for a playoff spot, but then have no chance of advancing, will soon see the model on how to build a consistent contender for years.
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 06-01-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Embiid can shoot the ball. He's not just a back to the basket center. His offensive game has endless potential. I could see him following the arc of Anthony Davis, who pretty quickly added a consistent jumpshot to his arsenal.

So, you put a do-it-all offensive talent like that alongside an offensive garbage man/motor guy ...

It could yield great results. And don't forget they have what looks like a very versatile offensive weapon coming in Dario Saric.

Defensively, Noel and Embiid are going to be scary. Everyone complains about how the Sixers are juking the system... I just think they've been really smart. Patience by the organization and the fanbase is going to pay off bigtime. A few rough years from a W-L perspective will end up being well worth the potential of this lineup.
    we don't know this

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    we don't know this
    We're not sure. You are right, at least until he steps on the court, but it is an open secret here in Philly that he was as good as any shooter for the 76ers.

Before the games, Embiid was shooting 3s with regularity and was pretty deadly. It's practice, yes, but he is a 7footer. If I had to make an educated guess, I say he will be as good a shooter as Davis, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    We're not sure. You are right, at least until he steps on the court, but it is an open secret here in Philly that he was as good as any shooter for the 76ers.

Before the games, Embiid was shooting 3s with regularity and was pretty deadly. It's practice, yes, but he is a 7footer. If I had to make an educated guess, I say he will be as good a shooter as Davis, at least.
    just can't trust it yet. have to see it myself as with any player

Bottom line: Philly rising!