Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: On paper, who has the best roster right now?

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    My pick to win the title -- Thunder
    My pick as favorites -- Cavs
    Most talented, regardless of fit -- Thunder
    Best fit, regardless of talent -- Warriors/Spurs
    Deepest -- Warriors/Thunder
    nice breakdown

My pick to win the title -- Spurs
    My pick as favorites -- Cavs
    Most talented, regardless of fit -- Thunder
    Best fit, regardless of talent -- Warriors
    Deepest -- .... this one is too hard

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    Spurs have a better team then, without a doubt.
    They have more experience, better coaching and arguably more talent on paper.

Duncan, Leonard, LMA, West, Parker > Jordan, Griffin, J.Smith, Paul & Pierce.
    SA has a much better defensive unit as well.

Pop just puts them over the top; it will be SA Vs. Cleveland.
    I hate to dismiss GS; they were lights out this past year. I guess I'll put them slightly above OKC, Houston and the Clippers.
    I'm not completely sold on them because Parker is probably done at the elite level and Manu could fall off a cliff at any time. They also lost Splitter. Of course they added LMA and West but is that enough to compensate for the loss of Splitter and the possible decline of Parker and Manu? I don't know.

College superstar

Maybe it's personal bias, but Spurs are so, so overrated right now (ironically, just like Aldridge was this offseason) and the Thunder are so quickly dismissed.

Spurs are old. Injuries will be an issue. Duncan, Manu, West are all old. Parker has injury concerns.
    There is minimal proven depth. Diaw, Mills, Anderson? Maybe good system players, jury is still out on Anderson, but definitely not great basketball players. System player is more important than talent, until there is a long term injury that must be overcome.

If the Spurs stay 100% healthy for the whole year, or at least the last 40 RS games and all of the playoffs, then they have a very strong case to win the title. But the odds of that happening are very slim.

As for the Thunder, Westbrook and Durant (assuming he's healthy) are two of the top 5 players in the league. That alone is enough to steamroll even a strong Western team. Then add in depth in the form of....
    Waitiers, Kanter, Roberson, McGary, Morrow and Augustin, plus the all-star talent of Ibaka? Come on now. The only question mark that team has is the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    I'm not sold on OKC. Their is no guarantee Durant will be back at full force. And they don't have good depth. Also, Kanter is overrated. He is a solid offensive post player but can't play D. They would have to hope that Adams really develops. A guy like Waiters will probably hurt your team more in the playoffs than help it.

I don't see them being better than SAS, LAC or HOU in the playoffs. Those teams not only have the superstars but good depth.
    Westbrook and Durant are the best duo in this league.
    I mean it's fine if you think Durant won't be his old safe; but don't compare OKC's superstars to any of those teams.

Durant & Westbrook are arguably top 5 players in this league.
    Howard / Harden - LMA / Duncan - Griffin / Paul are not on the same level.

I'm not completely sold on them because Parker is probably done at the elite level and Manu could fall off a cliff at any time. They also lost Splitter. Of course they added LMA and West but is that enough to compensate for the loss of Splitter and the possible decline of Parker and Manu? I don't know.
    People have said that for last 6 years or so, yet they always manage to win 50+ (in some cases 60+) games in the reg. season and have won a title in 2013.

Now you add West & LMA to help out Manu, Parker, Duncan and Leonard?
    It's kind of scary to me.

Maybe it's because I respect the hell out of Pop and I know he'll create a strategy that considers the age of the team. He'll probably cut Duncan, Manu and Parker's minutes considerably and now he has the luxury of having LMA & Leonard as the focal points. Plus, they have a bunch of capable role players. They'll be in contention, no doubt.

Westbrook and Durant are the best duo in this league.
    I mean it's fine if you think Durant won't be his old safe; but don't compare OKC's superstars to any of those teams.

Durant & Westbrook are arguably top 5 players in this league.
    Howard / Harden - LMA / Duncan - Griffin / Paul are not on the same level.
    True. If Durant is healthy, OKC is definitely a threat. But I don't like their depth outside of their top 3.

Maybe it's personal bias, but Spurs are so, so overrated right now (ironically, just like Aldridge was this offseason) and the Thunder are so quickly dismissed.

Spurs are old. Injuries will be an issue. Duncan, Manu, West are all old. Parker has injury concerns.
    There is minimal proven depth. Diaw, Mills, Anderson? Maybe good system players, jury is still out on Anderson, but definitely not great basketball players. System player is more important than talent, until there is a long term injury that must be overcome.

If the Spurs stay 100% healthy for the whole year, or at least the last 40 RS games and all of the playoffs, then they have a very strong case to win the title. But the odds of that happening are very slim.

As for the Thunder, Westbrook and Durant (assuming he's healthy) are two of the top 5 players in the league. That alone is enough to steamroll even a strong Western team. Then add in depth in the form of....
    Waitiers, Kanter, Roberson, McGary, Morrow and Augustin, plus the all-star talent of Ibaka? Come on now. The only question mark that team has is the coach.
    I agree about the Spurs. They gave up depth for LMA - I see why they had to (for the future) but I would have preferred to keep the depth, familiarity, team chemistry for another run. The big men rotation is very good, but the guard rotation is weak and with Simmons/Anderson - not proven at all. Manu is too old and who knows with Parker? Leonard has no backup, but is young and should be playing lots of minutes.

As far as best roster:

Cavs - just loaded and easy, no stress road to the Finals
    Clips - Stevenson is a wild card but very talented and can really take them over the top. Also Pierce is a scary addition: clutchness, former franchise player and championship experience - vital for them considering their meltdown last playoffs.

College superstar

True. If Durant is healthy, OKC is definitely a threat. But I don't like their depth outside of their top 3.
    I'm assuming Ibaka is the third in this top 3.

What don't you like about...
    Roberson -- good wing defender
    Waiters -- scorer off the bench
    Kanter -- great offensive big
    Adams -- good defensive big, solid offensively
    Augustin -- another scorer off the bench, shooter
    Morrow -- elite shooter

Those are six legit rotation players. A lot of people may not like Waiters, but he's a legit player. Maybe not a star, but definitely a Ben Gordon/Bobby Jackson in-the-making kind of guy.

I didn't even mention McGary yet, a player that has excited a lot of people with his SL (lol SL) play this year.

Jesus. I LITERALLY forgot...
    Collison, who's long been the poster boy for "stats don't tell the whole story"
    Novak -- elite shooter
    Singler -- solid, all-around SF

People have said that for last 6 years or so, yet they always manage to win 50+ (in some cases 60+) games in the reg. season and have won a title in 2013.

Now you add West & LMA to help out Manu, Parker, Duncan and Leonard?
    It's kind of scary to me.

Maybe it's because I respect the hell out of Pop and I know he'll create a strategy that considers the age of the team. He'll probably cut Duncan, Manu and Parker's minutes considerably and now he has the luxury of having LMA & Leonard as the focal points. Plus, they have a bunch of capable role players. They'll be in contention, no doubt.
    Again true. But at some point, Parker and Manu have to fall off a cliff. Parker looked horrible last year in the playoffs and that's one reason why they lost in the 1st round. It's not like the Spurs are defending champs, so they needed to improve. I think they did but what if Parker/Manu fall off a cliff and they did lose Splitter. Is LMA and West enough?

Word, I don't know why people always declare that the Thunder are deep. Outside KD, WB, and Ibaka, they have average to below average talent.

However, their top 3 are godly, certainly deserve a title and can probably overcome their teammates' deficiencies.

the WHITE side

I'm not sold on OKC. Their is no guarantee Durant will be back at full force. And they don't have good depth. Also, Kanter is overrated. He is a solid offensive post player but can't play D. They would have to hope that Adams really develops. A guy like Waiters will probably hurt your team more in the playoffs than help it.

I don't see them being better than SAS, LAC or HOU in the playoffs. Those teams not only have the superstars but good depth.
    You're not sold on OKC, but you're sold on a team of chokers who have never made the WCF.

Just stop existing you ****ing idiot.

And yes I'll be bumping your shitty post when OKC shits on the Clippers in the playoffs again. If the Clips even make it far enough to play OKC that is. They usually don't. OKC is a WCF lock every single year.
    Last edited by KendrickPerkins; 07-22-2015 at 12:36 PM.

I'm assuming Ibaka is the third in this top 3.

What don't you like about...
    Roberson -- good wing defender
    Waiters -- scorer off the bench
    Kanter -- great offensive big
    Adams -- good defensive big, solid offensively
    Augustin -- another scorer off the bench, shooter
    Morrow -- elite shooter

Those are six legit rotation players. A lot of people may not like Waiters, but he's a legit player. Maybe not a star, but definitely a Ben Gordon/Bobby Jackson in-the-making kind of guy.

I didn't even mention McGary yet, a player that has excited a lot of people with his SL (lol SL) play this year.

Jesus. I LITERALLY forgot...
    Collison, who's long been the poster boy for "stats don't tell the whole story"
    Novak -- elite shooter
    Singler -- solid, all-around SF
    No one on their roster outside of their big 3 have me excited. Kanter is an offensive, black hole and can't play D. I like Adams a bit. Waiters? He's the type that will hurt your team in the playoffs. Augustin is a solid back up PG. Morrow might be huge if he gets hot. I don't know, I don't see much depth.

Quote Originally Posted by KendrickPerkins
    You're not sold on OKC, but you're sold on a team of chokers who have never made the WCF.

Just stop existing you ****ing idiot.

And yes I'll be bumping your shitty post when OKC shits on the Clippers in the playoffs again. If the Clips even make it far enough to play OKC that is. They usually don't. OKC is a WCF lock every single year.
    Read the title dumbass.

Decent college freshman

No one on their roster outside of their big 3 have me excited. Kanter is an offensive, black hole and can't play D. I like Adams a bit. Waiters? He's the type that will hurt your team in the playoffs. Augustin is a solid back up PG. Morrow might be huge if he gets hot. I don't know, I don't see much depth.
    You also have a lottery pick on the bench in Payne, Roberson is becoming a special defender, Singler is a very useful role player and guys like Adams and Mcgary are productive bigs

College superstar

I guess it depends on how we define depth.

Warriors have legit all-star caliber players on their bench, but after the top 8 or 9 their depth really tapers off. I'll admit the Thunder do not have that all-star caliber player on their bench.

But the Thunder are a team that is, literally, 10-12 deep. All 10-12 players legit NBA players that could/would play a larger role on almost any other team in the league.