Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Default Re: In the same mins, Jordan has more PTs/RBs/ASTs/BLKs/STLs but less TOs then Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Comparing defensive ratings across eras is also an apples - oranges comparison

Are the 2003 Washington Wizards a better defensive team than the 1991 Chicago Bulls ?? This is NOT a trick question.
    No they just have a better defensive rating because offensive statistics in the 90s were inflated.

Great college starter

Default Re: In the same mins, Jordan has more PTs/RBs/ASTs/BLKs/STLs but less TOs then Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    No they just have a better defensive rating because offensive statistics in the 90s were inflated.
    Offensive rating is "points scored per 100 possessions"....it means the 1987 New Jersey Nets scored more points per possession than the 2003 San Antonio Spurs, which make them the superior offensive team....

Offensive rating is not an inflated stat. It's simple math son, Right??

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Comparing defensive ratings across eras is also an apples - oranges comparison

Are the 2003 Washington Wizards a better defensive team than the 1991 Chicago Bulls ?? This is NOT a trick question.
    Chazzy already said this though. Its not a good metric to compare across eras. We've literally had 50 page threads proving this before.

However, defensive rating (for a team) is fine for an individual year. Its actually quite good in my opinion.

Great college starter

Based on offensive and defensive ratings, the 1980's had worse defensive ratings simple because they were playing much better offensive teams.....see this isn't so hard.....

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Chazzy already said this though. Its not a good metric to compare across eras. We've literally had 50 page threads proving this before.

However, defensive rating (for a team) is fine for an individual year. Its actually quite good in my opinion.

I can roll with that....it's easy to see throughout history the shifts in playing styles, rule changes that affect the game. defensive ratings are only worth noting in their respective years or even eras....In the respective year is a much better depiction than even their own eras...

1986-1993.....one era
    1994-1998....another era
    1999-2004....another era
    2005-present....another era

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrozenOne
    different era's...and pace.

Look at Oscar's Stats and minutes compared to Jordan....or Wilt's

Jordan in the modern era would be a 42%fg putting up 25 - 30PPG in his prime/modern era.

just think that in the 80's there were over 30 players who scored over 24PPG on 50%FG......

it has only been done 5times in the past 12 years.
    :laugh:

Look up the pace of the Jordan Bulls.

And Michael Jordan would probably score 35+ pgg at 50%+ shooting in this era because of rule changes.

Offensive rating is "points scored per 100 possessions"....it means the 1987 New Jersey Nets scored more points per possession than the 2003 San Antonio Spurs, which make them the superior offensive team....

Offensive rating is not an inflated stat. It's simple math son, Right??
    You guys are worried about ranking teams.

Im talking about ranking the offensive performances against teams in that same year the defensive rating is derived.

Hitting 3 HRS against league average pitching in the deadball era isnt the same as hitting 3 HRS against league average pitching in the steroid era.
    Last edited by Yao Ming's Foot; 02-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Great college starter

You guys are worried about ranking teams.

Im talking about ranking the offensive performances against teams in that same year the defensive rating is derived.

Hitting 3 HRS against league average pitching in the deadball era isnt the same as hitting 3 HRS against league average pitching in the steroid era.

You dont even know where your going anymore...you were comparing different defensive ratings ACROSS ERAS dumb ass.....big NO NO

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrozenOne
    different era's...and pace.

Look at Oscar's Stats and minutes compared to Jordan....or Wilt's

Jordan in the modern era would be a 42%fg putting up 25 - 30PPG in his prime/modern era.

just think that in the 80's there were over 30 players who scored over 24PPG on 50%FG......

it has only been done 5times in the past 12 years.
    inb4 defense in the 80s was great players were just better at eberything bck then which is why they scored so much points and at such high percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    :laugh:

Look up the pace of the Jordan Bulls.

And Michael Jordan would probably score 35+ pgg at 50%+ shooting in this era because of rule changes.
    no he wouldn't..... What indicates that?..... Jordan play about 8 years of his career that as mostly offense with league averages of 110 points etc.

His percentages and numbers would be down in this era.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    inb4 defense in the 80s was great players were just better at eberything bck then which is why they scored so much points and at such high percentages.

The eFG% from the 80's is IDENTICAL with that of the 2000's, TRY AGAIN.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I'm just curious to know your motive behind starting this thread.
    I already mentioned why I created this thread. Someone mentioned the other day how Kobe and Jordan have now played about the same career minutes and noted how Kobe has more TOs. I brought this up again because there's an overwhelming amount of people that think the main reason Jordan has such a large career statistical edge over Kobe is because Kobe played many years of his career in a reduced role, his first few years as not much more then a role player and then his next 5-6 years as second fiddle to Shaq. But the greater amount of turnovers help point to that being greatly overblown because if it was just cause Jordan had a significantly greater role on his teams, then there's no reason he should have less turnovers, especially going along with more assists. It was just an interesting observation that I've never heard anyone here point out so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    It is actually a much easier/softer era today. Just look at all the rule changes that pu$$ifies the league. Did you see how the late 80s/early 90s Pistons play? Or how about the mid-90s Knicks? Tackling a player mid-air is considered a foul or a warning. Today, it equals suspension.

Jordan would do more damage to today's kids not just because of his basketball skills but his athleticism and physical prowess.
    but yet teams still scored 108+ ppg a game.... Hard fouls and butchery doesn't constitute "good defense" while it's more physical , Bad defense s bad defense(not saying the defense was bad then).

The fact that you're clobbering a guy that already made it to the rim doesn't make defense better. The phyisclity of the defense back then is very overrated when you compare it to what team were able to do offensively in the 90s up to almost the mid 90s. Obviously playing jailhous ball wasn;t good enought to stop points from being put on the board at a high clip.

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    no he wouldn't..... What indicates that?..... Jordan play about 8 years of his career that as mostly offense with league averages of 110 points etc.

His percentages and numbers would be down in this era.
    Look up the pace of the Bulls during the Jordan era.

Then tell me how his stats are inflated because of high pace.

You dont even know where your going anymore...you were comparing different defensive ratings ACROSS ERAS dumb ass.....big NO NO
    Its no different than comparing offensive stats across eras. You cant do one without the other.

It like somebody comparing the HR total of Babe Ruth to Mark Mcgwire.

Somebody pointing out that everybody hit HRs of the pitching that Mcgwire faced and then somebody else claiming that I cant point that out because its across eras.

It so silly.