Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who were the biggest players Shaq ever tossed/shoved around on the court? - Clips?

Interesting footage...

http://www.csmonitor.com/1993/0125/25101.html/(page)/2

After the Celtics lost to the Magic, 113-94, Robert Parish said that in his 17-year career, only longtime Chicago Bulls star Artis Gilmore was physically stronger than O'Neal, but that Shaq was more athletic - "and that's a very scary thought," he said in mock seriousness. O'Neal "played very well," Parish continued. He's "very aggressive. He's a good transition player both ways, which is rare in this league. He showed me some things tonight, like the alley-oops. Once his game becomes polished he'll beco me two handfuls. He's already one handful."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPVyKfYCsEU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1utx7OxiaoU
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 02-06-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Default Re: Who were the biggest players Shaq ever tossed/shoved around on the court? - Clips?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Let me also open up for 'strongest' players. Really, I'm just looking to see the clips of Shaq going up against the biggest strongest guys of his era. I watch Shaq highlights, I see a lot of people post clips of him bodying up against guys like Dikembe Mutumbo or Chris Dudley, which is nice and all, but those guys were like 235lbs soaking wet, I want to see how Shaq handled the guys who were a strong 260+ or at the very least, guys who (if by chance were smaller than 260) were just notoriously strong and powerful like say, Charles Barkley. I want to see clips/footage of how Shaq used his body and strength against THOSE kind of players. Most of his highlights I've seen are not against guys of that size. And I keep searching and nobody has really made an effort to organize clips like that yet so I'm wondering if any Shaq fans know of clips off hand. Reason I ask is I've seen a lot of clips of Wilt lately against his 'biggest/strongest' competition and he literally could shove them around like rag dolls. I'm hoping to at least verify if the same was true for Shaq, and I kinda just want to see how he was throwing his weight around posting them up and what not.
    What about Hakeem, Ewing?

I'm aware of these. Wilt literally, I and I do mean literally bumps and tosses the strongest and heaviest players of his era around like rag dolls. Anyone from notoriously strong players like Gus Johnson or Artis Gilmore to the massive and solid bodies known for setting bone crushing screens that most other players simply could not budge like 270lb Wayne Embry, 280lb Wes Unseld, or 290lb Bob Lanier. I've got clips of Wilt getting position and going right through all those guys like they are nothing and they are they just bounce right off him. And this in spite of only about 2% of his career existing on Film. I'd think there should be plenty examples of Shaq seeing as how much more of his career exists on film than 2%, so I want to see more of Shaq against the big guys if people can recall where the best clips are of these kinds of matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    What about Hakeem, Ewing?
    Were either notoriously strong? Hakeem and Ewing were about 240-255lbs, Hakeem used quickness, Ewing liked to stretch the floor. These guys are def decent sized centers but they aren't really in the class of size/strength I'm looking for as far looking for a good shoving match of giants is concerned. They'd be analogous to watching Wilt compete for floor space with Nate Thurmond or Walt Bellamy. I would think they wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to get in a shoving match with Shaq in deep.

I'm aware of these. Wilt literally, I and I do mean literally bumps and tosses the strongest and heaviest players of his era around like rag dolls. Anyone from notoriously strong players like Gus Johnson or Artis Gilmore to the massive and solid bodies known for setting bone crushing screens that most other players simply could not budge like 270lb Wayne Embry, 280lb Wes Unseld, or 290lb Bob Lanier. I've got clips of Wilt getting position and going right through all those guys like they are nothing and they are they just bounce right off him. And this in spite of only about 2% of his career existing on Film. I'd think there should be plenty examples of Shaq seeing as how much more of his career exists on film than 2%, so I want to see more of Shaq against the big guys if people can recall where the best clips are of these kinds of matchups.
    I am not disputing your take on Lanier's size, but just using Lanier as an example...

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine...31/2/index.htm

"I wouldn't say it's always been the easiest thing being seven feet and black, but never once in my life did I ever feel like I was a misfit," Chamberlain explains. "Athletics probably had a lot to do with that." Still, it is not just that he is extremely tall. Wilt's is a phenomenal, overwhelming presence. Tom LaGarde, who tops out at a mere 6'10", was a member of the 1976 U.S. Olympic team. He remembers being on court before a game in Montreal when Wilt strolled into the arena. Several people on the floor were as tall as Wilt, or nearly so. It didn't matter. Everything just stopped. Everyone just stared. Bob Lanier, 6'10", 270, one of the hugest men anywhere, filled out a questionnaire recently that asked him to cite the most memorable moment in his entire athletic career.[COLOR="DarkRed"] Lanier wrote: "When Wilt Chamberlain lifted me up and moved me like a coffee cup so he could get a favorable position."[/COLOR]
    BTW, Lanier was listed at 6-11 his entire career (not 6-10), and I suspect would be listed at seven-feet with "modern" measurements.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

shaq>> wilt
    deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    I am not disputing your take on Lanier's size, but just using Lanier as an example...

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine...31/2/index.htm

BTW, Lanier was listed at 6-11 his entire career (not 6-10), and I suspect would be listed at seven-feet with "modern" measurements.
    Yeah I have an audio recording of Lanier re-telling the 'moved me out the way like a coffee cup' story from his rookie season. Lanier was like Barkley, struggled with weight earlier in his career. He came into the league at 300lbs, as a rookie he 'played into shape' to about 286lbs that season. So when Wilt 'moved him like a coffee cup' (Wilt was a Laker) Wilt himself was between 300 and 310lbs, and Lanier was between 286 and 300lbs. If Lanier was cited at 6-10 yet listed 6-11 it means he probably was 6-10 or 6-10 and change without shoes, which means he'd list anywhere from 6-11 (as he did in his own era) or yes possibly even 7 foot if he played today as many in that class of height choose to do.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-06-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    shaq>> wilt
    deal with it
    That's great, I just want to see footage of Shaq against the biggest strongest of his era. If you've got some, please provide. I'd like to analyze it, so I can draw conclusions of my own on his strength.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    shaq>> wilt
    deal with it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_Dx2KWmnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vCaZkULds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZIp4daEO1I

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-03-...-chamberlain/3

"Wilt got hit in the face more than any human I ever saw," McGuire says. "And he never threw an elbow (in retaliation) in his life."

OK, once. Meschery remembers Wilt decking massive Clyde Lovellette with a punch that traveled about five inches. "Lovellette dropped like a dead ox," Meschery said
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...91/2/index.htm

With Chamberlain now doing what everyone expected of him all along, San Francisco fans are coming back. They like him and his perpetual-motion supporting cast, and they like winning. About the only people not happy are the Warriors' opponents. The St. Louis Hawks' 6-foot-9, 240-pound Zelmo Beaty, for example, found out recently that he can no longer take Chamberlain's great strength for granted. Unable to slow Wilt down with conventional maltreatment, Beaty tried to yank his shorts off. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Chamberlain, who can press 400 pounds without breathing hard[/COLOR], makes it a point to control his temper, primarily because he is genuinely afraid he might kill somebody. Beaty's unethical yank, however, was too much. Wilt flicked an arm, and Beaty flew across the floor like a man shot out of a cannon. Referee Mendy Rudolph rushed over to him and said: "For God's sake, stay down, man. Don't even twitch a muscle." Beaty didn't twitch, and he is still active in the NBA.
    And as Arnold Schwarzenegger about Wilt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIu7o5NH1k

Last edited by LAZERUSS; 02-06-2014 at 11:53 PM.

I know Laz, I've even got examples of Wilt's strength on film not widely seen yet, im looking for clips of Shaq at this present time though not Wilt

I know Laz, I've even got examples of Wilt's strength on film not widely seen yet, im looking for clips of Shaq at this present time though not Wilt
    I'm sorry to slightly derail this thread, but it is truly laughable that ignorant posters here honestly believe that Shaq was somehow stronger, or more athletic than Chamberlain.

Were either notoriously strong? Hakeem and Ewing were about 240-255lbs, Hakeem used quickness, Ewing liked to stretch the floor. These guys are def decent sized centers but they aren't really in the class of size/strength I'm looking for as far looking for a good shoving match of giants is concerned. They'd be analogous to watching Wilt compete for floor space with Nate Thurmond or Walt Bellamy. I would think they wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to get in a shoving match with Shaq in deep.
    Wasn't Wilt also Hakeem type who used quickness? I mean Hakeem was no slouch in the power department either.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    I'm sorry to slightly derail this thread, but it is truly laughable that ignorant posters here honestly believe that Shaq was somehow stronger, or more athletic than Chamberlain.
    I can see why some would think that based on assumptions

Assumption 1: Every clip they watch of Shaq bodying someone, is of a player 'bigger/faster/stronger' than the players Wilt played against.

Which is basically the same as

Assumption 2: Every clip they watch of Wilt bodying someone, is of a player 'slower/weaker/less athletic' than the players they see Shaq playing against.

However, I've been watching Shaq highlights, and Wilt highlights under more scrutiny lately. I'm noticing despite my small sample pool of Wilt footage, example after example of Wilt just bumping people out of his way like they are nothing but tissue paper, and this INCLUDES the biggest or strongest players of his era, actually I notice he particularly shows off his strength against Artis in 1972 ASG and Gus Johnson in the 1969 ASG, like he asserted himself more when he played against the guys with notorious strength. The best I've seen of Shaq showing strength against other big or notoriously strong player so far was him maintaining deep position on Arvydas in the clip point guard provided. I've grown bored with seeing him toss around 235lb guys like Chris Dudley or Dikembe Mutumbo. I want to see how he tossed around guys the size of players the Big Dipper was tossing around.

I can see why some would think that based on assumptions

Assumption 1: Every clip they watch of Shaq bodying someone, is of a player 'bigger/faster/stronger' than the players Wilt played against.

Which is basically the same as

Assumption 2: Every clip they watch of Wilt bodying someone, is of a player 'slower/weaker/less athletic' than the players they see Shaq playing against.

However, I've been watching Shaq highlights, and Wilt highlights under more scrutiny lately. I'm noticing despite my small sample pool of Wilt footage, example after example of Wilt just bumping people out of his way like they are nothing but tissue paper, and this INCLUDES the biggest or strongest players of his era, actually I notice he particularly shows off his strength against Artis in 1972 ASG and Gus Johnson in the 1969 ASG, like he asserted himself more when he played against the guys with notorious strength. The best I've seen of Shaq showing strength against other big or notoriously strong player so far was him maintaining deep position on Arvydas in the clip point guard provided. I've grown bored with seeing him toss around 235lb guys like Chris Dudley or Dikembe Mutumbo. I want to see how he tossed around guys the size of players the Big Dipper was tossing around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew

Chamberlain probably did the above on sheer accident a few times in his career, and with no intentions of doing so.

And the reality was, the NBA would never have allowed Wilt to play that way, either. If he had been allowed to use his enormous strength like that, they would have been carrying players out in body-bags.

Hell, the NBA routinely put up "anti-Wilt" rules during his career. They most certainly would not have allowed Chamberlain to just overwhelm the entire league by sheer force. He would have made a mockery of the league, and within a few years it would have folded.