Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Deadspin: Manti Te

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    As for why Te'o would go for this, I can only speculate that perhaps as a devout Mormon, he found it easy to have a long distance girlfriend to avoid any pre-marital temptation and also leave him time just to dedicate to sports/school.
    and he's also a virgin so this would been his first serious attempt at courtship. maybe he was enamored with some idealized version of the process that didn't dwell on the physical.

Also he's "faithful" enough to believe in a unseen god, so why not an invisible girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    It has been shown that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is friends with Manti though and no one knows how they met...My theory was that Ronaiah and Manti were gay lovers and they both created Lennay together to hide their relationship from everyone else.

If Ronaiah Tuiasosopo was really hoaxing Manti for 3 years, then who was Manti talking with on the phone supposedly every night? Was it Ronaiah using a fake female voice?...Did he hire a female friend to play the voice over the phone for him?
    Yeah, my head is spinning. However, if Ronaiah and Manti are gay lovers why create this story of the dead inspirational girlfriend and call attention to it? Why say she died instead of just breaking up with her.

Why does Lennay Keuka then meet other people online?

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    and he's also a virgin so this would been his first serious attempt at courtship. maybe he was enamored with some idealized version of the process that didn't dwell on the physical.

Also he's "faithful" enough to believe in a unseen god, so why not an invisible girlfriend?
    Yeah, I deleted that post, because this is probably a case where it foolish to speculate. Something supercrazy happened here and he is either a very gullible victim or a hoaxster who got in over his head.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 01-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.

SI just published their transcipt of what Te'o said about his girlfriend.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...1_a2&eref=sihp

going to read now

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Yeah, my head is spinning. However, if Ronaiah and Manti are gay lovers why create this story of the dead inspirational girlfriend and call attention to it? [COLOR="Red"]Why say she died instead of just breaking up with her.[/COLOR]

Why does Lennay Keuka then meet other people online?
    this I can not answer, but it does seem to be the real hole in the theory this was a gay cover-up.

If this was a gay cover up then I can only guess that he ALSO used this a death to hype himself up.

Yeah, I deleted that post, because this is probably a case where it foolish to speculate. Something supercrazy happened here and he is either a very gullible victim or a hoaxster who got in over his head.
    All we can do is speculate though...this story is so crazy to me that I am fascinated by it...no matter which way you are looking there is strangeness that doesn't add up.

It will be really interesting to see where this goes, one thing is for sure, and that is Manti still has a lot of questions to answer that he will not be able to avoid.

All we can do is speculate though...this story is so crazy to me that I am fascinated by it...no matter which way you are looking there is strangeness that doesn't add up.

It will be really interesting to see where this goes, one thing is for sure, and that is Manti still has a lot of questions to answer that he will not be able to avoid.
    Yeah, however, I was beginning to think my initial speculation was wrong, so I deleted it.

I just read that SI interview and I don't know what to think. Check this part out.
    DALTON HILLIARD, A HIGH SCHOOL TEAMMATE WHO PLAYED AT UCLA
    SI: Tell me about Lennay.
    HILLIARD: She was a very supportive, loving passionate individual. She was all about God and prayer and being able to have faith. Me and her never met in person. But I felt like this was a testament to who she was. She would still text and tweet me before my games. Good luck brother. Good job out there today.
    The fact that she would do that for someone she never met. The fact that [Manti] and I such great friends and brothers. Who she was and is as a person. Pleasure for me to know her. She made my best friend such a happy man, it's something that made me a happy man as well.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2IH0XjkIY

SI just published their transcipt of what Te'o said about his girlfriend.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...1_a2&eref=sihp

going to read now
    Manti goes into a lot of detail here about meeting her in person, her being in the hospital, how long she was in the hospital, the type of pain she was in, being on the phone with her until the sun rise every night after she was hit by a drunk driver...

it is clear that he is lying about most of this...

Decent college freshman

Manti goes into a lot of detail here about meeting her in person, her being in the hospital, how long she was in the hospital, the type of pain she was in, being on the phone with her until the sun rise every night after she was hit by a drunk driver...

it is clear that he is lying about most of this...
    I actually don't think he implicates himself at all. He never went in detail about meeting her in fact what he says about the meeting is this:

She actually came to one of the games. She saw me at one of the games.
    I think it's telling he didn't say explicitly we met and spoke at the game, instead she saw him at the game, which could be something "she" told him ex post facto and he never even saw her. If you have met someone, why do you use the passive voice that she saw me, instead of I saw her? it just seems unnatural if that's what you are trying to convey.

all the other stuff could just be things relayed to him through the phone calls and letters.

lol I don't know why I'm so interested in this case. I don't even watch college football
    Last edited by heyhey; 01-17-2013 at 06:20 PM.

SI: How did you meet her?
    TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.

and this has to be a lie:
    SI: You would literally sleep with your phone on with her on it?
    TE'O: With her on it.
    SI: When you woke up?
    TE'O: She's be on it.
    SI: What would the phone say?
    TE'O: Like eight hours. Lucky she had AT&T so it was all free or my family would kill me.
    if he is telling the truth here, who was he talking to?

TE'O: She didn't get out. She went from there. Remember she got in the accident and she was in a coma. We lost her, actually, twice. She flatlined twice. They revived her twice. It was just a trippy situation. It was a day I was flying home from South Bend to go home for summer break. It was May. Mid-May. That was the day where they said, "Bro, we're going to pull it. We're going to pull the plug." I remember having this feeling like everything is going to be OK. They were telling me, "Say your goodbyes." From April 28 to around mid-May, I was always talking to my girlfriend who was on a machine.

SI: She couldn't communicate?

TE'O: No. She could only breathe. One of the miraculous things was when I talked to her and she would hear my voice her breathing would pick up. Like quickly, and then she would start crying. But her breathing would quicken, and she would start crying.[COLOR="Red"] So her brother was in the room with the nurse. They were monitoring her. She said, "Who is she on the phone with?" Her boyfriend. She was like, "That's amazing. She doesn't do that with anybody else."[/COLOR] So that happened. And then she flatlined and we were losing her.

^^^ Manti is stating here that there was a brother as well as a nurse he was communicating with

Decent college freshman

and this has to be a lie:

if he is telling the truth here, who was he talking to?
    the first one I think it could be argued that when he said met he meant started contact online.

if you believe he was the victim of a hoax it's clear that someone was masquerading as lennay, both on the phone and in person:

[QUOTE]

so there was an actress playing her in real life?

that quote you have there is from the Arizona Cardinal's Fullback...which makes things even stranger and more confusing

Banned

Whether he was set up in a hoax or lying about his story, the kid is dumb as shit. How could he have been set up like this, he's not an underage girl or an 80 year-old man? I'm no Internet social expert but I wouldn't be naive enough to be in this situation.

And if he's lying, then he's dumb for not realizing he'd get caught in this day and age of social networking and online media.

EDIT: I'll give him a pass if he was lying to hide his gay sexuality. I know it's 2013 and all but it must be tough in a football locker room.
    Last edited by DMV2; 01-17-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Very good NBA starter

At best he was the victim of a hoax and was embarrassed when he found out, then it got too big and one lie led to another. At worst he completely made this whole thing up to garner more national attention for his heisman campaign. Either way

If he made it up, I'm wondering if it was a way to lie to his family. His parents apparently talked to reporters about her. So perhaps he was gay and the girlfriend story was a way to keep his parents off his back before he became a national figure.

I haven't this much fun since trying to find out about Sarah Palin's crazy story about her pregnancy.

If he made it up, I'm wondering if it was a way to lie to his family. His parents apparently talked to reporters about her. So perhaps he was gay and the girlfriend story was a way to keep his parents off his back before he became a national figure.

I haven't this much fun since trying to find out about Sarah Palin's crazy story about her pregnancy.
    His father made claim that she visited him in Hawaii several times...which is another confusing bit here

I stated earlier in here that perhaps his parents knew he was gay and understood that if it got out he would be done in football, so they helped him with this lie.

but the hole in that again comes to "why fake her death and not just claim you broke up with her?"

there are so many confusing facets to this thing...it's nuts