Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Default question for Hawk

yo Hawk, how feasible is it to get a job in one of those oil outfits if i were to obtain a CDL class A permit. been doing a lot research and it seems to be the most ideal entry based on pay and though it can still be taxing, you’re not on your feet 12hrs a day.

given i have no previous O&G or even truck driving experience, can i still get a job? most of the driving jobs ask you to have like 1 year. i’ll go click on a post that has “Entry Level training provided” but once inside it will require 3 years CDL or 1 year O&G...
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
AirBonner
Jordaneering

Default Re: question for Hawk

in before op falsely puts "CDL License" on his resume
AirBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner
in before op falsely puts "CDL License" on his resume
they’ll verify this for sure, along wih my MVR.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Get the CDL first and I think you'll be fine. You'll have to move to Midland/Odessa or South Texas because that's where all the work is.

It's a hard job though...long hours, very little sleep, etc. A lot of waiting time. Don't have kids and do this job.

You may be fortunate to get a schedule but not sure if they exist anymore.

Also, I wouldn't expect them to offer you a relocation package to move anywhere. That would be on you.

Try to get a local address and put that on your resume. This is common and not unethical. Just make sure to show up on time for the interview - whatever it takes.

If you do it for a few more years until the price of oil drops again and you saved your money, you'll be good.

If you go to O&G, save your freaking money. SAVE IT. And I mean, keep some liquidity in your bank account 6-12 month emergency fund. If the price of oil drops, you WILL get laid off. Especially for an entry level person like yourself - no offense it's just the reality.

Also, you have my email - send me a few of the job postings and I can provide you with some background.

Last edited by Hawker : 10-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Get the CDL first and I think you'll be fine. You'll have to move to Midland/Odessa or South Texas because that's where all the work is.

It's a hard job though...long hours, very little sleep, etc. A lot of waiting time. Don't have kids and do this job.

You may be fortunate to get a schedule but not sure if they exist anymore.

Also, I wouldn't expect them to offer you a relocation package to move anywhere. That would be on you.

Try to get a local address and put that on your resume. This is common and not unethical. Just make sure to show up on time for the interview - whatever it takes.

If you do it for a few more years until the price of oil drops again and you saved your money, you'll be good.

If you go to O&G, save your freaking money. SAVE IT. And I mean, keep some liquidity in your bank account 6-12 month emergency fund. If the price of oil drops, you WILL get laid off. Especially for an entry level person like yourself - no offense it's just the reality.

Also, you have my email - send me a few of the job postings and I can provide you with some background.
thanks!

how’s the food over there? i ask bc the main reason i plan on saving up money is so i can buy a taco stand. i wonder how selling tacos to these hard working men with money would do.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
thanks!

how’s the food over there? i ask bc the main reason i plan on saving up money is so i can buy a taco stand. i wonder how selling tacos to these hard working men with money would do.
If you are certain in your taco stand idea, why not go for a biz loan?
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
tpols
we already won

i would think driving trucks all day in traffic would be much more taxing than any office job
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
i would think driving trucks all day in traffic would be much more taxing than any office job
i don’t think there’s much traffic in the oilfields, saw some videos on youtube and you drive on unpaved roads even.

i love driving. last job i drove for 10hrs a day and felt like i had energy left over at the end of the day
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: