Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins' school commitment

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    I dont pay much attetion to recruiting, but is there any timetable for when wiggins will decide? i know drummond committed really late last season, could wiggins wait that long?

what is a reasonable time to expect him to commit by?
    there is a deadline to sign a letter of intent but you can still commit to a school after that deadline. The LOI is kinda a protection for both the school and the player, the school locks in a player to his commitment and the player is guaranteed a scholarship when he walks onto campus in the fall. But most of the top players just give "strong verbals" which means theyve gone public with which school they are going to, just in case something crazy happens like a coaching change or another player they want to play with withdraws his verbal commitment

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    there is a deadline to sign a letter of intent but you can still commit to a school after that deadline. The LOI is kinda a protection for both the school and the player, the school locks in a player to his commitment and the player is guaranteed a scholarship when he walks onto campus in the fall. But most of the top players just give "strong verbals" which means theyve gone public with which school they are going to, just in case something crazy happens like a coaching change or another player they want to play with withdraws his verbal commitment
    cool thanks

Reggie Bullock committed today. I think that increases the chance Wiggins commits to UNC tbh. Just some food for thought

Banned

Reggie Bullock committed today. I think that increases the chance Wiggins commits to UNC tbh. Just some food for thought

Wiggins cancels home visits with UNC, Kansas and FSU.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/statu...35620635037697

Jeff Goodman
    ‏@GoodmanCBS

Been told Andrew Wiggins has canceled his home visits with Kansas, UNC and Florida State early this week.
    nothing much further than that, people overreacting already on twitter talking about UK. This is probably because he is still in Portland and can't make it back.

Thoughts?

Apparently just that (flight problems).

I would be more worried if Kentucky's visit weeks ago wasn't just Cal telling him to keep an open mind and if it lasted longer than 15 minutes. But at least Cal got to see him face to face, and now the other coaches have been reduced to a phone call because this needs to get done by Thursday.

From everything I have heard, it's still about the parents. Convince Mitch and you likely get his son. And by convince, it sounds like convince him to choose a school that isn't his alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Apparently just that (flight problems).

I would be more worried if Kentucky's visit weeks ago wasn't just Cal telling him to keep an open mind and if it lasted longer than 15 minutes. But at least Cal got to see him face to face, and now the other coaches have been reduced to a phone call because this needs to get done by Thursday.

From everything I have heard, it's still about the parents. Convince Mitch and you likely get his son. And by convince, it sounds like convince him to choose a school that isn't his alma mater.
    yea definitely agree. I used to play against his older brother (Mitch Jr., not Nick from Wichita St.) and dude literally manages EVERYTHING about his sons. Where the play, who they talk to. Not surprised that this has been pretty hush hush considering the amount of discretion his dad uses.

to be honest, in the last few weeks I've kinda had doubts about the FSU thing. Everything points towards FSU (Rathan-Mayes, his parents alma mater, his dad and Wiggins playing together on the 76ers, etc etc) but logically the only friction there could possibly be if it took this long would have to have come from Andrew himself, otherwise it would have been a done deal.

I'm really starting to think that UNC is more and more of a possibility. He said his favourite two players all-time are Jordan and Vince Carter, both UNC alums. Ever since his official visit to UNC (even though they lost to Duke) I've not been so sure about FSU. The atmosphere was INSANE for that game and the campus must have been electric that weekend. I'm sure that left an impression.

I'll wait until someone confirms a reschedule of the meetings. For now, Blue Nation is going off

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Wiggins cancels home visits with UNC, Kansas and FSU.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/statu...35620635037697

nothing much further than that, people overreacting already on twitter talking about UK. This is probably because he is still in Portland and can't make it back.

Thoughts?
    Know who else is in Portland? Nike. Well, basically anyway. Talk that Nike talked to him about UK and how they like the marketability of UK, Fab Five 2.0 type stuff. Just talk, I know but that's how big time recruiting goes.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Know who else is in Portland? Nike. Well, basically anyway. Talk that Nike talked to him about UK and how they like the marketability of UK, Fab Five 2.0 type stuff. Just talk, I know but that's how big time recruiting goes.
    yea i thought about this too, I mean the game was on Saturday. Pretty hard to believe he couldn't get a flight from then until Monday morning.

According to Wiggins' high school coach, Rob Fulford, the cancellations are the product of Wiggins being exhausted from his recent trip to the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, and not an indication that he is close to making a college decision. Wiggins had multiple flight delays during his return trip to his current hometown of Huntington, WV.

Wiggins, who is commonly referred to as "the best high school basketball player since LeBron," was scheduled to meet with Roy Williams on Monday afternoon, Bill Self on Tuesday and Leonard Hamilton on Wednesday. Instead, Fulford said Wiggins will speak with all three coaches on the phone.

The one candidate to land Wiggins that wasn't scheduled to meet with him this week is Kentucky, the program that has long been considered the favorite to land the 6'7 small forward. John Calipari has already become the first coach to sign six McDonald's All-Americans in one year, and adding Wiggins would likely put to bed any debate over whether or not UK's 2013 recruiting class is the best in history.
    On the phone??? So that would mean Cal is the only one who got an "official" home visit?

I mean, why not reschedule Roy and then see Self and Hamilton? He's already past the LOI date isn't he? So what is the rush?

If I was really concerned I'd be looking up those flights and seeing if there was actually a delay but I'll leave that to the UNC, Kansas and FSU fans.

Did the Nike rumor originate with Jerry Meyer? Because that guy is a tool who is wrong about almost everything he throws out. He called John Wall to Baylor, his rankings are absurd, and he's an attention starved whore.

From what I gather...
    -UK is recruiting with the join the greatest class pitch.
    -UNC is recruiting with join the UNC basketball family, don't you want your kids to have what you didn't (Mitchell wanted to play for UNC out of high school).
    -FSU is recruiting with build your own legacy.
    -And I still have no idea what Kansas is doing. All I know is Andrew and Self hit it off.

Technically no one got a home visit because his home is in Canada. Thursday starts a dead period in recruiting so there's no time to reschedule. These coaches are busy. Wiggins is busy. The time was made to fit before the dead period perfectly and now it has to be changed up.

Cal went to see off Wiggins before he left for the McDonalds game.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1279031.html

John Calipari met with Andrew Wiggins – the nation’s best prospect – for 15 minutes on Thursday at Huntington (W.V.) Prep.
    “He didn’t say anything he hasn’t said in the past,” Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford told Scout.com.

“He was just basically saying don’t get caught up in roster spots and scholarships,” he added. “Everything is there. He has a scholarship.”
    Then Roy reached out to Wiggins to see if he could get a visit on Monday (today) about a week back. Wiggins agreed. That sparked the other two coaches to set up their visits. However, like the interview with Fulford says, the other visits were going to eventually happen.

Interestingly, Daniels also posted this 6 days ago:

EvanDaniels posted: 4/16/13 8:45 am

As of today, I don't believe that UK leads in the Andrew Wiggins race. I think this visit with Wiggins is fairly routine. Calipari went in two weeks ago. Now it's Roy Williams' turn. I'm sure Bill Self and Leonard Hamilton will visit with him before he makes his choice. I don't expect much new to come out about any of the visits with him. Is it good to get in front of the kid? Yes. Is there going to be a major development following any of them? Doubtful.
    However, after the McDonalds game he said something along the lines of he thought for the first time in Wiggins' recruitment a possible leader emerged: UK. Can't find the exact quote and it wasn't as candid as I made it, but he obviously implied such.

And apparently I'm going through this in reverse chronological order. Cal visit, McDonalds, UK leads(?), UK doesn't lead (?), Roy visit, Self and Hamilton visits, canceled visits... There we go.

Again, I still believe it's all about the parents. I heard some stuff there, but it's only from a UNC perspective.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 04-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Did the Nike rumor originate with Jerry Meyer? Because that guy is a tool who is wrong about almost everything he throws out. He called John Wall to Baylor, his rankings are absurd, and he's an attention starved whore.

From what I gather...
    -UK is recruiting with the join the greatest class pitch.
    -UNC is recruiting with join the UNC basketball family, don't you want your kids to have what you didn't (Mitchell wanted to play for UNC out of high school).
    -FSU is recruiting with build your own legacy.
    -And I still have no idea what Kansas is doing. All I know is Andrew and Self hit it off.

Technically no one got a home visit because his home is in Canada. Thursday starts a dead period in recruiting so there's no time to reschedule. These coaches are busy. Wiggins is busy. The time was made to fit before the dead period perfectly and now it has to be changed up.

Cal went to see off Wiggins before he left for the McDonalds game.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1279031.html

Then Roy reached out to Wiggins to see if he could get a visit on Monday (today) about a week back. Wiggins agreed. That sparked the other two coaches to set up their visits. However, like the interview with Fulford says, the other visits were going to eventually happen.

Interestingly, Daniels also posted this 6 days ago:

However, after the McDonalds game he said something along the lines of he thought for the first time in Wiggins' recruitment a possible leader emerged: UK. Can't find the exact quote and it wasn't as candid as I made it, but he obviously implied such.

And apparently I'm going through this in reverse chronological order. Cal visit, McDonalds, UK leads(?), UK doesn't lead (?), Roy visit, Self and Hamilton visits, canceled visits... There we go.

Again, I still believe it's all about the parents. I heard some stuff there, but it's only from a UNC perspective.
    I remember that interview, he was talking about all the UK commits and what it would mean if he joined them (answering a question mind you, not like he jump out and start frothing at the mouth about it).

I definitely think UK improved their position a lot coming out of the AA game. I don't think that necessarily puts them in the lead, even his brother Nick said he didn't feel they were a good fit even considering their stacked roster.

From what everyone else has been saying about their recruitment to UK (Randle, Harrison twins, etc) the main selling point seemed to be the fact that they'd be playing against the best freshman, and possibly, some of the best players in the country. The timing of Cal's visit, I must say, is another reason why he is one of the best recruiters in college sports, absolutely perfect. Now considering that Wiggins had to cancel, this is all looking favourable to UK.

If we truly believe Wiggins when he says he doesn't know, then the strongest lasting impression might just be Calipari which would definitely make a difference. If we go by what else we know, then they seem dead even with FSU and UNC. At this point it would literally shock me if he went to KU. There just hasn't been much indication of anything aside from his meeting with Self.

tbh I'd be surprised if this went on any longer.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i hope wiggins will join unc or duke but clearly duke is out of the picture maybe... but just imagine wiggins and parker playing together as team mates...

or wiggins and aaron gordon ... AU ...

that would be an awesome thing to watch vs UK...

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    i hope wiggins will join unc or duke but clearly duke is out of the picture maybe... but just imagine wiggins and parker playing together as team mates...

or wiggins and aaron gordon ... AU ...

that would be an awesome thing to watch vs UK...
    Duke isnt on his list and they are not actively recruiting him.

anyone see this article? if we can even call it that...

http://keepingitheel.com/2013/04/24/...-a-good-thing/

Does anybody in their right mind think Andrew Wiggins would do the same? Apologies ahead of time, but the way he has Prima Donna’d around these last couple weeks has gotten to be excessively excessive. He’s listened to countless courters traveling to see him. The way he’s given just enough interest to coaches to keep them coming back for more is nothing more than a game. He’s by far the only big-time recruit left still undecided. When you’re a number two and you still haven’t announced, while the number one publicly announced weeks ago, you’re an attention seeker.

He’s an attention seeker. He’s a drama-king. Andrew Wiggins is a one-and-done type of athlete. Hey, actions speak louder than words and all signs point to a look-at-me type of personality.
    I dont even know where to start.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

He should skip the NCAA and go to Europe or China.