Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Favorite villains from anything(movies, games, TV shows, comics)

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    I think there are too many responses in this thread where there is confusion between a villain and someone who does something bad.
    In my case.. I feel that Walt has absolutely reached villainous status.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I think there are too many responses in this thread where there is confusion between a villain and someone who does something bad.
    Someone who does something bad isn't necessarily a villain. A villain doesn't have to be bad at all. Just an antagonist to a protagonist.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114

yeah right, **** that bitch...

Yes, this little prick has to be the most HATED villain

Serious playground baller Flamboyant's Avatar

T-Bag from Prison Break.

He's probably my favorite movie/series character overall.
    Caused so many laughters in the most intense moments.

So far:

Gollum too:

Well I guess Bateman isn't really a villain, since there isn't even really a protagonist in the movie/book. But he's a cold blooded mother****er, so I thought he was worth mentioning.

Darth Vader is my favorite villian by a mile.

Original trilogy Vader not emo Prequel Vader.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Has the villain from Oldboy been mentioned yet?

Edit: Never mind, I now see Goliath posted in just a little bit ago.

Future D1 Dad

the great mighty poo was awesome.

3-time NBA All-Star

I'm referring to the idea, at least in my opinion, that a villain is someone who is deliberately and maliciously evil or wrongdoing not only to the protagonist/hero but to the immediate and also the mass surrounding people in his or her/life.... often to his/her own personal satisfaction or gain.

Characters like The Joker, Darth Vader, Magneto, Albert Wesker, Bane, Benjamin Linus, Dr. Evil, Agent Smith, Hans Lada, and Commodus.... they're all classic villains.

Their acts of wrong-doing are directly against the primary protagonists of their respective stories, but there's also a greater reasoning behind what they do... whether its related to the good-guy they are acting upon, or the surrounding world in which they live.

Dexter Morgan is not a villain... he's a psychologically traumatized individual that attempts to control his sadistic tendencies by taking it out on murders and rapists. He understands his problems, and tries to keep his family members and the rest of the do-good world, safe and away from the bad things he does.

Gustavo Fring is no villain... he's a businessman who will stop at nothing for the success and dominance of what is his. If anything (and there are many, many, others that will agree) Walter White is the true villain of Breaking Bad. He consistently jeopardizes the well-being, safety, lives, and relationships with the people he loves or only remotely cares about for the truly selfish reason of absolute power and control.

Boba Fett was a mercenary. He was after the pay day and he happened to work for some of the shadiest cats in the Empire.

Jack Torrance was a loving father driving to madness by a combination of isolation, mundanity, and the possible presence of supernatural forces within a creepy old mansion in the mountains.

Gollum?? He's a bi-polar, multiple personality, addict, that in real life would need massive psychiatric counseling and probably need to be insitutionalized.

I'm referring to the idea, at least in my opinion, that a villain is someone who is deliberately and maliciously evil or wrongdoing not only to the protagonist/hero but to the immediate and also the mass surrounding people in his or her/life.... often to his/her own personal satisfaction or gain.

Characters like The Joker, Darth Vader, Magneto, Albert Wesker, Bane, Benjamin Linus, Dr. Evil, Agent Smith, Hans Lada, and Commodus.... they're all classic villains.

Their acts of wrong-doing are directly against the primary protagonists of their respective stories, but there's also a greater reasoning behind what they do... whether its related to the good-guy they are acting upon, or the surrounding world in which they live.

Dexter Morgan is not a villain... he's a psychologically traumatized individual that attempts to control his sadistic tendencies by taking it out on murders and rapists. He understands his problems, and tries to keep his family members and the rest of the do-good world, safe and away from the bad things he does.

Gustavo Fring is no villain... he's a businessman who will stop at nothing for the success and dominance of what is his. If anything (and there are many, many, others that will agree) Walter White is the true villain of Breaking Bad. He consistently jeopardizes the well-being, safety, lives, and relationships with the people he loves or only remotely cares about for the truly selfish reason of absolute power and control.

Boba Fett was a mercenary. He was after the pay day and he happened to work for some of the shadiest cats in the Empire.

Jack Torrance was a loving father driving to madness by a combination of isolation, mundanity, and the possible presence of supernatural forces within a creepy old mansion in the mountains.

Gollum?? He's a bi-polar, multiple personality, addict, that in real life would need massive psychiatric counseling and probably need to be insitutionalized.
    The pic I put up wasn't to suggest Dexter Morgan as a villian, I meant the Trinity Killer.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I disagree. A villain doesn't have to be malicious. I posted Galactus the world eater as my response, but he's not deliberately evil. He is still, however, a clear villain.

Some of the best material comes when the person you thought should/was a hero turns out to actually be a villain.

To your examples: Magneto isn't deliberately evil. He believes that mutants are the new dominate species, and is willing to fight a war over it. He's a revolutionary.

Darth Vader is helping to lead an empire. He joined the dark side in an attempt to save those closest to him.

Unless it's Satan, there really is no one (who is well done) who doesn't have motives that support their actions. You could explain them all away if pressed. In fact the best villains are one's that we can understand their point of view. TO go back to comics, Mephisto is tough to really align with, he's just flat out despicable, and often times forgettable. Magneto is very easy to understand, you can see where he's coming from, and this makes him a stronger villain.

Darth Vader had the potential to be the best villain ever if they'd gotten his fall into the dark side right. But MAN George Lucas fucked it up!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Completely disagree about Gus not being a villain. So Walt's terrible acts are for power and control (which you say makes him a villain), while Gus's terrible acts are for success and dominance, which are essentially the same things, yet he is not a villain? Might as well say the villain in Tomorrow Never Dies who tries to start WW3 is also not a villain because "he's a businessman who will stop at nothing for the success and dominance of what is his." Same with the bad guy from Robocop. Same with the bad guy from Total Recall. And so on...

As Timmy D said, many villains are not doing things for true evil. They are doing things for personal gain, even if it harms others, which is exactly what Gus does.