Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far
Default Akira

I'm not a big fan of anime at all, but I love this film. Any besides Reppy seen it?
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Akira

i have it. ninja scroll is good too.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

This is the kind of anime I like. It's really good, but VERY dated.

Anyone seen the original 1985 Vampire Hunter D? The one that's uncut? It's AMAZING. I actually adapted it into a screenplay about 5 years ago and did a really good job with it. I think it would make a classic film if done right and not hollywoodized.

The Animatrix actually has some great shorts in it. I don't dig the movies too much, but those shorts are really good.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
This is the kind of anime I like. It's really good, but VERY dated.

Anyone seen the original 1985 Vampire Hunter D? The one that's uncut? It's AMAZING. I actually adapted it into a screenplay about 5 years ago and did a really good job with it. I think it would make a classic film if done right and not hollywoodized.

The Animatrix actually has some great shorts in it. I don't dig the movies too much, but those shorts are really good.

yeah, those were all pretty good too. all old, but classics. you could probably throw ghost in the shell there too. problem with anime is most people think pokemon when they hear it, they dont realize that its a very diverse genre. if you get a chance try to download basilisk. its a 24 episode series thats pretty good. think romeo and juliet, except with super powered ninjas :)
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

I saw it and enjoyed it.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Akira is a classic movie, not only in the anime genre, but for anyone who likes movies -imo-.

There are a few anime movies that could be very recommended to general public -and not only to anime fans-. Stuff from Studio Ghibli is usually good (has exceptions, though) like Princess Mononoke, Laputa, etc.

One of the last anime movies that I saw that i would recommend to anyone was Tokyo Godfathers. Nice commedy.

Quote:

Never seen it. Is it really good? Because I once read one of the books (just because i love the illustrator) and it wasn't good at all...
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Akira was Good..

People should also check out:

Heavy Metal
Street Fight

^two great animated movies
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Dr Giggles
Kids at the park dunk on me

Dr Giggles has an OK reputation so far

I generally like anime and have seen loads of movies, but I didn't really like Akira that much, especially compared to the manga version. Most of the other movies mentioned in this thread are quite good, except Ghost in the shell which sucked enormously.

Since everyone is mentioning a movie or series, I recommend Berserk, 24 episodes I think and usually gets a good reception from friends who are not really in to anime. And pretty much anything with the Ghibli label is a classic, although some of the movies arent for everyone.
Dr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Akira was really good for anime.

Grave of the Fireflies is probably the best I've ever seen though.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Giggles
I generally like anime and have seen loads of movies, but I didn't really like Akira that much, especially compared to the manga version. Most of the other movies mentioned in this thread are quite good, except Ghost in the shell which sucked enormously.

Since everyone is mentioning a movie or series, I recommend Berserk, 24 episodes I think and usually gets a good reception from friends who are not really in to anime. And pretty much anything with the Ghibli label is a classic, although some of the movies arent for everyone.

co-sign

I feel Akira is overrated.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: