Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: LeBron James supports contraction of some NBA teams

A bit OFF TOPIC:
    Wow....looking through the wiki links I posted and didn't even realized the Blazers won the NBA title a year after missing the playoffs the previous season.

1975-76 did not qualify.
    1976-77 NBA champions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lpublic_enemyl
    point is the nba is a business and if contracting will cost money and reduced profits then why shud they do it, but the idea of a better league is enticing
    Well, the NBA is losing money as it is right now.

More than half the teams aren't making money.

P.S. Good thread. I'm tired, I lost track of the time....2:31, DAMN!!!!!
    Last edited by DeronMillsap; 12-24-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

I 100% agree with this. I have been saying the league is more watered down then ever many times.

Take the Grizzlies for example, OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay are so f****** talented, Marc Gasol is also very good, but the organization they play for is a joke, and they will continue to have sub 500 record year after year. Get rid of them and other crap teams. Combine crap teams from conferences like the Hornets and Grizzlies. Twolves and Kings

PG: Chris Paul
    SG: OJ Mayo
    SF: Rudy Gay
    PF: David West
    C: Marc Gasol

PG: Johnny Flynn
    SG: Tyreke Evans
    SF: Michael Beasley
    PF: Kevin Love
    C: DeMarcus Cousins

and let's start playing basketball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    I 100% agree with this. I have been saying the league is more watered down then ever many times.

Take the Grizzlies for example, OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay are so f****** talented, Marc Gasol is also very good, but the organization they play for is a joke, and they will continue to have sub 500 record year after year. Get rid of them and other crap teams. Combine crap teams from conferences like the Hornets and Grizzlies. Twolves and Kings

Yes!!!! OJ Mamba gets it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by lpublic_enemyl
    point is the nba is a business and if contracting will cost money and reduced profits then why shud they do it, but the idea of a better league is enticing
    The league actually loses more money and profits now with more teams. You have a bunch of teams at the bottom that are being supported by just a few at the top.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

I rarely like/respect what Lebron has to say, but I'm with him on this one... speak your mind Lebron, speak your mind!

...maybe there is a real person in there after all.....

Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim
    I rarely like/respect what Lebron has to say, but I'm with him on this one... speak your mind Lebron, speak your mind!

...maybe there is a real person in there after all.....
    what should I do, what should I do, to shrink the nba or leave it as it is, what should I do, what should I do, to keep my mouth shut or F it up more

fan up fan up fan up MIAMI

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    You're going to have disparity regardless. Say you contract 6 teams and are left with 12 All-Stars to disperse (more like 8-10). So 12 of the 24 remaining teams gets an extra All-Star caliber player, and the other 12 teams stay the same (get worse).

Plus, whose to say the best players remain in the NBA? With the talent scouts on some of these teams, the NBA would probably just lose a bunch of quality players, and keep a bunch of athletic scrubs with "potential".
    Exactly grwat post and repped

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba

This is exactly my point. Who is the 12th man on this team? Love? The guy that got 30-30. The first one to do so since barkley? Or cousins? Who was a top 5 lottery pick. Come on.

Banned

List of teams with 19 or less wins...
    http://www.nbauniverse.com/statistics/worst_seasons.htm
    1960s: 3
    1970s: 3
    1980s: 9
    1990s: 18
    2000s: 14
    ^including 2009-10

You see a pattern there...just sayin'
    Last edited by DeronMillsap; 12-24-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    This is exactly my point. Who is the 12th man on this team? Love? The guy that got 30-30. The first one to do so since barkley? Or cousins? Who was a top 5 lottery pick. Come on.
    rookies had to earn playing time back in the day, not be put on a team and given the green light to chuck away.

also, im thinking about if you combined the teams, drew gooden a bonafide loser will be out of the league, there wouldn't be such thing as being a lazy player because if you are someone could take your spot. carlos boozer wouldn't be able to jump from team to team like he wants to, and u wouldn't see the same teams in the finals and playoffs every damn year.

And also realize that having bad teams is neccessary. How is anyone ever going to get a chance to prove themselves if every team is stacked? In Europe? In the D-League?

How many players have we seen make a name for themselves on a lousy team? What if these players had been relegated to the end of the bench to start their careers instead?

As long as you can put fans in the seats, then who cares if you're a really good team? Not every team can win. And this is from a guy who has been a Warriors fan for 20 years, only to see them make the playoffs twice.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

I don't think dropping six teams would do as much as some here seem to think it will. Only six teams isn't going to make the league competitive all of the sudden, unless you disperse that talent only to the lower teams, which I don't think is really fair. You'd be gifting a franchise for poor performance by just throwing talent at their rosters. But if you do a league-wide draft, you just end up making the good teams better.

Not to mention how much money this would initially cost the NBA to do, just to hope that it pays off in the long run. If you're thinking about doing something that drastic, why not consider taking all of the players in the league, ranking them and doing a draft? It would disperse talent across the league. Sure, you're giving a big **** you to teams like the Lakers and Boston that have put in the work to build good teams, but you'd also be saying **** you to entire franchises / cities if you were to go with the former idea.

Root Of All Evil

LeBron and I think the same ... I just mentioned contraction earlier today and people jumped my nuts. It would make the NBA so much better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    And also realize that having bad teams is neccessary. How is anyone ever going to get a chance to prove themselves if every team is stacked? In Europe? In the D-League?

How many players have we seen make a name for themselves on a lousy team? What if these players had been relegated to the end of the bench to start their careers instead?

As long as you can put fans in the seats, then who cares if you're a really good team? Not every team can win. And this is from a guy who has been a Warriors fan for 20 years, only to see them make the playoffs twice.
    A lot of them belong in the D-league and European leagues.

Most teams are losing hundred million of dollars. They're not putting fans in the seats.