Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
RedZiggyZag
1 week avy bet.....

Default Question to the Football fans and experts

How much is a Wide out suppose to bench press talking about for High School and the NFL, Compare if you can. Just incredibly curious, whether it or not they are limited from being too strong, the only really strong WR I know is Terrell Owens, but he has probably the most intense workout ever.
RedZiggyZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: Question to the Football fans and experts

I'd suggest worrying about working on the fundamentals of being a reciever rather than how much you can bench press.

Since most of us don't have 40 hours a week to blow on getting better at a position in sports, concentrate those 8-10 hours a week on the skills aspect instead of working out.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

For instance, a guy like Steve Smith from the Giants doesn't get by because he's benching 350 pounds... he gets by because of his skills.

A guy like Marvin Harrison was never a big lifter but he is one of the all-time greats because he refined his skills to the absolute best of his ability.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
RedZiggyZag
1 week avy bet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
For instance, a guy like Steve Smith from the Giants doesn't get by because he's benching 350 pounds... he gets by because of his skills.

A guy like Marvin Harrison was never a big lifter but he is one of the all-time greats because he refined his skills to the absolute best of his ability.
Yeah, I would agree with ya. Marvin never seemed to be uber-jacked like T.O, but was a very skilled player especially in route-running. What about 40 yard dash times? Is it really possible for someone to be a WR, and not be that fast of a player but has great hands? Wouldn't TE be a better fit? and for TE it seems blocking is more necessary than catching, though Dallas Clark is an exception, big fan of him as well.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

The day Dallas Clark becomes an adequet blocker is the day he becomes a truly elite tight end....he's basically a big wide reciever who runs great routes and can at least handle the physical pounding of trying to block a linebacker or defensive end.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
RedZiggyZag
1 week avy bet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
The day Dallas Clark becomes an adequet blocker is the day he becomes a truly elite tight end....he's basically a big wide reciever who runs great routes and can at least handle the physical pounding of trying to block a linebacker or defensive end.
You didn't really answer my question, but would you consider Dallas Clark to be a fast TE? And as I said, do you really have to be fast to play either TE or WR? Or can you just have great hands? Or do you need both to be elite? Right now, I just want to play on the team, not really trying to play for Colleges or anything like that, just curious on the needs for WRs and TEs.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Dallas Clark isn't really a fast tight end, but neither are the other elite tight ends either. Tony Gonzo isn't THAT fast anymore, Gates isn't that fast, Witten isn't fast.... yet they get open and make plays.

So if you aren't fast but you've got good size and hands, sure... tight end is probably a better option, I guess.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: