Thread: Looney a SF?

Default Looney a SF?

Kevon Looney UCLA is a beast. But in the nba his ceiling is much much higher at SF

Is he an nba sf or pf? Always hard to judge a guys ability playing a completely different role in NCAA than he will at the NBA level. If he is a small forward I think he is a top 3-5 pick

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Looney a SF?

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Kevon Looney UCLA is a beast. But in the nba his ceiling is much much higher at SF

Is he an nba sf or pf? Always hard to judge a guys ability playing a completely different role in NCAA than he will at the NBA level. If he is a small forward I think he is a top 3-5 pick

I don't think he's a SF. I think he's an undersized PF, and he'll need to improve his jumper a ton to stick. I'm not a huge fan as an NBA prospect, although I do really like his motor, and he's got a unique frame because of the high shoulders and long arms.

Best case for him would be Draymon Green, and or Paul Milsap. But both of those guys turned themselves into really good three point threats.

Green is a defensive swiss army knife who plays bigger, which might be easier for Looney. And Milsap is a nightmare along the baseline on offense. Beating bigger guys off the bounce, or cutting around them off the ball. Plus he can catch and shoot. Looney has a little of that off the bounce to his game, and he's got the fluid body movement. But like I said, both of those guys can spread the floor by shooting the three.

Unbelievable 30th pick. Maybe that's his best fit playing sf at the pf position.

They can move green in a sign and trade after ungrading

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Unbelievable 30th pick. Maybe that's his best fit playing sf at the pf position.

They can move green in a sign and trade after ungrading
    He's an absolute steal at #30.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Looney a SF?

He is an undersized PF for the traditional mold of PF but for GSW's small ball he should be a fantastic fit.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

He is a perfect fit. I had made the Green comparison well before he was drafted. I could even see him getting time at center on that team, with the way they like to switch. If anything he's actually more athletic and rangy than Green.

But again, he's gotta make that shot a threat. And as much as that was true in general, it's probably even more true in GS. But he also may have an advantage in the staff over there being good at teaching that aspect of the game (I'm not positive, but I know SA for example is great at teaching shooting). I'm sure GS is hopeful he's another guy they can mold like they did with Green into a perfect fit for their scheme. I don't think it'd be impossible to see stretches where they'd play Green, Looney, Barnes, Thompson, and Curry all at once.

But they've got a lot of work to do with him, and he's also gotta get that hip healthy.