Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #46
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Most influential musicians/bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Haven't seen her mentioned but even if you don't like her music Madonna's hugely influential with most modern female artists. All the wild/risque outfits, the sexual styles and lyrics etc.

Call me gay but I actually really enjoy all her music. I downloaded her catalog about a week ago and spent about an hour playing her hits. I love the old stuff, from the first...three albums I guess. Lucky Star/Material Girl/Into the Groove/Borderline/Holiday/Papa Don't Preach

All incredible songs. Love them.

Although I've noticed that I have a deep affinity for all 80's music. I'm just getting into the Cure and INXS among others.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #47
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm awful with music genre's but I'll nominate Rights Of Spring.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #48
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Depends on the genre.

Hip Hop:
James Brown

Punk:
The Ramones

Rock and Roll:
Chuck Berry

Merle Haggard

Grunge:
Neil Young

Boy Bands:
New Edition

Crooning:
Frank Sinatra
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers were the first boy band.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #49
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Likely the only composer of the rock era whose work will be studied decades from now. But intellectual interest doesn't equal influence.

I saw FZ live more than any other band or performer in my lifetime. But he's not close to the most influential.

He was influential to my favorite band, and that's good enough for me. He deserved a mention in the thread. My dad chilled with Zappa a few times way back.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #50
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Enigmatism has an OK reputation so far

Dunno if anyone mentioned...

The Cure
Enigma
Slick Rick
Freestyle Fellowship
Jimi Hendrix
Parliament Funkadelic
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #51
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
He was influential to my favorite band, and that's good enough for me. He deserved a mention in the thread. My dad chilled with Zappa a few times way back.

Lucky Dad.

I saw Frank live 20+ times. Got to shake hands and chat a couple minutes after the final one, at Tulsa's Old Lady On Brady. Oct 1981, I believe...things are kinda hazy from those days.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #52
EarlTheGoat
Banned

EarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this board

The Beatles had a major influence, not only on music but on the culture of the decade, way of living...etc. Here in Spain, (I wasnt borned yet lol but its what ive read and heard) we were living in a "soft" dictatorship in the decade of the 60s and the only real contact we had with the rest of the Europe came thanks to the influence of the "Beatles way of living" and music.

Jimi Hendrix and his music contributed lots also, specially to the hippy "free love" movement.

Elvis Presley of course was a big influence to the music too.

Then you have Bob Marley, for me, the biggest influence in the history of music only after The Beatles. He influenced the culture and the mindset of people in sooo many ways, its ridiculous.

Queen was the face of the 80s, and also influenced a whole new generation of people.

Michael Jackson was also a very strong part in the history of music, not only of the 80s, but the 90s also. His image got detoriated in the 00s but after his death his legend has even got stronger.

Then you have people like Kurt Cobain and his music band "Nirvana" who influenced in the "grunge" culture of the early 90s.

In rap music I would say NWA and the Death Row people with 2pac, Snoop...etc in the west, and guys like Biggie smalls, jay-z, Nas or eric b & rakim in the east made the rap music and the rap industry grow until levels nobody expected.
EarlTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #53
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Has Afrika Bamabaataa or Kool Herc been listed yet for their influence on hip hop?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #54
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Call me gay but I actually really enjoy all her music. I downloaded her catalog about a week ago and spent about an hour playing her hits. I love the old stuff, from the first...three albums I guess. Lucky Star/Material Girl/Into the Groove/Borderline/Holiday/Papa Don't Preach

All incredible songs. Love them.

Although I've noticed that I have a deep affinity for all 80's music. I'm just getting into the Cure and INXS among others.

you should try rick springfield's first 2 albums. don't laugh!
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #55
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
you should try rick springfield's first 2 albums. don't laugh!

I'm not. I rock "Jessie's Girl" all the time. I actually never thought to check out any of his albums, I thought he was one of those one and done kinda guys.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I'm not. I rock "Jessie's Girl" all the time. I actually never thought to check out any of his albums, I thought he was one of those one and done kinda guys.

awww man. 'working class dog' and 'success hasn't spoiled me yet' are awesome. if you're getting deeper into 80s music, check them out. if you can't find them (ahem) elsewhere (really easy), i'll gladly rapidshare them sometime this weekend.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #57
TennesseeFan
Banned

TennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this boardTennesseeFan has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
You go to the trouble of qualifying Chicago "before Terry Kath died", but show Yes when they became the Buggles?!?

Not that either has any place in the discussion (though more so than Jethro Tull, I suppose), but at least strive for some level of credibility.

Influence isn't a measure of credibility.
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #58
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
awww man. 'working class dog' and 'success hasn't spoiled me yet' are awesome. if you're getting deeper into 80s music, check them out. if you can't find them (ahem) elsewhere (really easy), i'll gladly rapidshare them sometime this weekend.

I'm sure I can find them

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #59
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Ive got it down to 4, IMO

Ella Fitzgerald
Chuck Berry
The Beatles
David Bowie
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: