Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default OT: Bostonians who have seen the Departed

Ok, this could be moved into the off-court forum, but I figured this would recieve more hits.

I'm writing a response paper to the Departed and juxtaposing it with Infernal Affairs, the Hong Kong original. One of the main points that Infernal Affairs makes is the grandeur of Hong Kong and its colonial influences: high-rises, high mountains shot next to Victorian Bay, and overall it places emphasis on the locale of the movie rather than its characters.

What I am asking is, is there a similarity with Departed and Boston? Having been to Boston only a handful of times vs. living in Hong Kong, there is very little I can comment on. The truth is Departed is much more focused on the characters than its setting, but is there a distinctive feature that makes Boston the Scorsese's choice? Outside of Matt Damon being Bostonian and growing up as a Southie. Is there something that distinctive that the movie could not take place in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, or any other major city in the US?

Thanks.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: OT: Bostonians who have seen the Departed

I can't think of any special reason why it couldn't have been in NY or Chicago or wherever, but the film had some racial elements that made Boston a good fit. Besides, if it wasn't filmed here, how could you get all of those cool shots of the Red Line? That was one of the best parts of the movie for me.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Thanks RMWG
Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

I met the guy who played the Chinese Triad boss when I somehow ended up at an Asian party one night a while ago with my roommate... Dude was trying extremely hard to seem like a mobster while hosting his party and openly bragging he has sex with multiple Asian chicks then films it.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I can't think of any special reason why it couldn't have been in NY or Chicago or wherever, but the film had some racial elements that made Boston a good fit. Besides, if it wasn't filmed here, how could you get all of those cool shots of the Red Line? That was one of the best parts of the movie for me.

Exactly...

Only thing that could have made the movie better is if we had a shot of Ashmont or JFK just for the heck of it...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
I met the guy who played the Chinese Triad boss when I somehow ended up at an Asian party one night a while ago with my roommate... Dude was trying extremely hard to seem like a mobster while hosting his party and openly bragging he has sex with multiple Asian chicks then films it.

There was no triad boss in Departed. Unless you're talking about Infernal Affairs.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
There was no triad boss in Departed. Unless you're talking about Infernal Affairs.

Must have been talking about internal affairs.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Maybe he's talking about the part where they do the deal with the Asians.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

The Departed wasnt all based on Infernal Affairs, it was also based on a gangster that Jack Nicholsons character was based on. Info below.

The character Frank Costello was largely based on James "Whitey" Bulger, a real life Irish-American mobster in Boston; Whitey was believed to have been seen coming out of a theater showing the film in San Diego in November 2006.[3][4] Matt Damon's character is based on John Connolly, the FBI agent who tipped off Bulger for years, allowing him to evade arrest. In real life, Bulger went into hiding and is still presumed to be at large; Connolly is currently imprisoned for his role in Bulger's criminal activities. Costigan's undercover role as a former State trooper who joins the Irish mob parallels the story of Richard Marinick, a former State trooper who later joined Whitey Bulger's crime syndicate. Costigan also lives in Somerville, where Bulger's Winter Hill Gang began.
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

They were copying Bulger? Well, there you go then, no better place. By the way, I went to UMass-Boston while Bulger's brother (who was being investigated at the time) was running it. Fun times.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
They were copying Bulger? Well, there you go then, no better place. By the way, I went to UMass-Boston while Bulger's brother (who was being investigated at the time) was running it. Fun times.

Got any good storys to tell?
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
Got any good storys to tell?

Yeah, gotta have a few...
Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Actually, no, I don't. He had to resign in disgrace and it was just one big, fat black eye on everyone involved but I was never close enough to the thing to have a personal story to tell about it...but I am the person that invented the phrase "dUMass," in case you ever hear it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: