Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mo Cheeks wants Greg Monroe to improve his mid-range J

Default Re: Mo Cheeks wants Greg Monroe to improve his mid-range J

He's definitely working that mid-ranger vs LMA and RLopez right now. Looking pretty sweet and effective.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Is it just me, but everyone is saying Monroe is the odd man out, the guy that doesn't fit into our plans - but I think you would have to be blind to not realize that it is SMITH that does not fit into our system...

Monroe is Detroit Basketball, he is our best player, it is outragous that he will likely be the first guy moved...

Or am I blind?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Is it just me, but everyone is saying Monroe is the odd man out, the guy that doesn't fit into our plans - but I think you would have to be blind to not realize that it is SMITH that does not fit into our system...

Monroe is Detroit Basketball, he is our best player, it is outragous that he will likely be the first guy moved...

Or am I blind?
    I agree. As much excitement as Josh Smith brings to Detroit, I hate to revert to my gut instincts when the Pistons got him. We should have went after Andre Iguodala. A guy that doesn't need the ball, willing to hang out, work hard, and bust that open shot or drive when needed.

BUT, the season is still early and I'm still hoping the Pistons make me eat my words. There is NO WAY the Pistons don't make an offer to Monroe at this point. He is our rock.

And we have lots of pieces for trade bait so something can happen. February is still a far ways away.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

In reality, how hard would it be to move Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    In reality, how hard would it be to move Smith?
    From my humble perspective, I don't see many teams wanting Josh Smith. His contract isn't HORRIBLE, but any team that could use a hyper active big right now are in the tank sweepstakes.

Only team I could see making a move with the Pistons for something we want is Evan Turners (Philly) or Arron Afflalo (Orlando).

Besides those two teams...I don't know man.

Hopefully Dumars can work his magic and make some moves.

NBA lottery pick

I agree with the above statements that Greg Monroe is our best player. He has been for years now. People put him in trade rumors because he is our BEST asset. That doesn't mean Joe D is going to trade him. I think it's much more likely that Jennings or Smith get traded. How that happens, I'm not sure. I said all along I wanted a high draft pick this year. Now that college basketball has started it looks like I'm right in saying that would've helped the team more. Sure we have an interesting team this year, but it does look like it will be just a mediocre team. It's early and they haven't had time to develop chemistry yet, but I don't think this team can contend.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I agree with the above statements that Greg Monroe is our best player. He has been for years now. People put him in trade rumors because he is our BEST asset. That doesn't mean Joe D is going to trade him. I think it's much more likely that Jennings or Smith get traded. How that happens, I'm not sure. I said all along I wanted a high draft pick this year. Now that college basketball has started it looks like I'm right in saying that would've helped the team more. Sure we have an interesting team this year, but it does look like it will be just a mediocre team. It's early and they haven't had time to develop chemistry yet, but I don't think this team can contend.
    I'l agree with most of the above here.

Quick question for you. When you say "best" asset, are you saying best trade asset or best asset for the team to be better?

I would agree with the later, but if its the former, I still think its Drummond. Teams would be falling all over themselves to get that kid. And even Dumars has said Drummond is untouchable.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    I'l agree with most of the above here.

Quick question for you. When you say "best" asset, are you saying best trade asset or best asset for the team to be better?

I would agree with the later, but if its the former, I still think its Drummond. Teams would be falling all over themselves to get that kid. And even Dumars has said Drummond is untouchable.
    I mean right now he's the best player on the team. I definitely agree that most every team would love to have Drummond, especially since he's still on a cap friendly rookie contract. I just think that right now Monroe is more polished offensively and he will probably always be the better shooter. Drummond is the better defensive presence, although Detroit's defense has been terrible so far this season so I would say he still has a lot to learn there.

Decent college freshman

I wonder what we could get for Monroe. I wish we could talk Smith into coming off the bench with all 96 big man minutes going to the big 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    I wonder what we could get for Monroe. I wish we could talk Smith into coming off the bench with all 96 big man minutes going to the big 3.
    That would be most excellent. Don't know if the highest paid big man's ego could take that though.

I'm sure we could get a bucket load for Greg Monroe. What he's showed this season so far...I'd say he is nearing top 5 PF status. He's right on the cusp. But I want him and Drummond to stay paired together. Those are two BIG bodies dominating those boards.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    That would be most excellent. Don't know if the highest paid big man's ego could take that though.

I'm sure we could get a bucket load for Greg Monroe. What he's showed this season so far...I'd say he is nearing top 5 PF status. He's right on the cusp. But I want him and Drummond to stay paired together. Those are two BIG bodies dominating those boards.
    I agree absolutely. I think Drummond and Monroe are the core of the Pistons and are definitely their future. What we really needed was one more top pick to help us out this year..... unfortunately our pick is only top 8 protected and I don't see us finishing there. Although we do have the league's 5th worst record right now and the mock drafts have us getting Dante Exum. I would be so happy if that happened. Could you guys imagine how dominate we would be if we could draft a PG like that? He's 6'6" and better than MCW. That would also put us in the running for a guy like Marcus Smart too. Then we could package Jennings and Smith to a team for a real SF. That would be a contender, not a pretender like we have this year.

Decent college freshman

Its a little too early to give up on this group. I think that's key to point out. Its going to take time for a bunch of new pieces to grow together, especially since KCP is still a rookie and Drummond is a 2nd year 19 year old. You have to manage the egos of vets like Billups,Bynum,Stuckey and even Smith/Jennings to some degree while making sure you give your youngsters enough minutes, specifically KCP and Datome(to a lesser degree,Singler and maybe Mitchell)

NBA lottery pick

I haven't given up, but even with a year more experience this core isn't going to be a title contender. This is a mediocre team. We all know that's the worst possible place to be in the NBA.

Decent college freshman

Agree to disagree there. I think we have plenty of potential to develop into a contender.