Local High School Star

Default Is shooting 100 free throws in a row possible for me?

Im considered a pretty good shooter, but 100 in a row is incredibly hard.

I've had 26 in a row twice. Best I got was like 92/100 free throws. Its like you are a bound to miss one every 10 or so that goes in and the amount of concentration you need is very high.

That said can anyone here achieve it? Can I do it?

Default Re: Is shooting 100 free throws in a row possible for me?

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    Im considered a pretty good shooter, but 100 in a row is incredibly hard.

I've had 26 in a row twice. Best I got was like 92/100 free throws. Its like you are a bound to miss one every 10 or so that goes in and the amount of concentration you need is very high.

That said can anyone here achieve it? Can I do it?
    Dave Hopla, famous NBA shot doctor, worked with most NBA stars during the early 2000s (worked with Kobe, was shooting coach for the Bucks in late 90s and coached Ray Allen, still does til this day).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je5ERBhSX6k

he makes 26 in a row in one minute. notice in the video his form is literally the same every time and you can tell he's a major perfectionist. that's what it takes, be critical of your technique, set goals for yourself and then repeat ad nauseum.

Also a great way to be REALLY critical of your shooting is to only count swishes. this is what a lot of pro players do during their drills, they only count pure jump shots as a way to reinforce what they are practicing for. Dave Hopla talks a lot about this too, he only counts swishes when he does drills. I've done this before and it really helps to picture it that way.

My highest ever is 34. I consider myself a pretty dead-eye FT shooter (something that was drilled into me since I was very young) and tbh most of my players are. I really hate to play lineups with guys that are a liability at the line. In my books, getting foul at the rim and missing the layup and having a poor free throw shooter have to shoot 2 free throws is as good as a stop to me. I never want to be that liability so I always practice my free throw shooting.

What I do in practice is this: I'll do mid range shooting for 10 minutes, then shoot 20 FTs (i usually only count swishes, if I make it but it rattles in it's a redo, some people count it as a miss, whatever the case, depends how meticulous you want to be about it). I try to aim for 15 and above (again only counting swishes, that's pretty hard). If I don't get my goal, by however much I missed it by, I run that many suicides. Then I'll do 3 pt shooting and repeat. It's great for getting in shape and great as well in terms of organizing your workout, really helps a lot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    Dave Hopla, famous NBA shot doctor, worked with most NBA stars during the early 2000s (worked with Kobe, was shooting coach for the Bucks in late 90s and coached Ray Allen, still does til this day).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je5ERBhSX6k

he makes 26 in a row in one minute. notice in the video his form is literally the same every time and you can tell he's a major perfectionist. that's what it takes, be critical of your technique, set goals for yourself and then repeat ad nauseum.

Also a great way to be REALLY critical of your shooting is to only count swishes. this is what a lot of pro players do during their drills, they only count pure jump shots as a way to reinforce what they are practicing for. Dave Hopla talks a lot about this too, he only counts swishes when he does drills. I've done this before and it really helps to picture it that way.

My highest ever is 34. I consider myself a pretty dead-eye FT shooter (something that was drilled into me since I was very young) and tbh most of my players are. I really hate to play lineups with guys that are a liability at the line. In my books, getting foul at the rim and missing the layup and having a poor free throw shooter have to shoot 2 free throws is as good as a stop to me. I never want to be that liability so I always practice my free throw shooting.

What I do in practice is this: I'll do mid range shooting for 10 minutes, then shoot 20 FTs (i usually only count swishes, if I make it but it rattles in it's a redo, some people count it as a miss, whatever the case, depends how meticulous you want to be about it). I try to aim for 15 and above (again only counting swishes, that's pretty hard). If I don't get my goal, by however much I missed it by, I run that many suicides. Then I'll do 3 pt shooting and repeat. It's great for getting in shape and great as well in terms of organizing your workout, really helps a lot for me.
    keep up the informative posts.

Local High School Star

He has someone passing to him, so its easier to get a rhythm. Im always alone at the gym though haha. But he's very good no doubt

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    He has someone passing to him, so its easier to get a rhythm. Im always alone at the gym though haha. But he's very good no doubt
    If your high is 92/100, it seems as if 100/100 is possible. You're right though, it's tougher when having to get your own rebound.

One of my former players went 100/100 once. He was a dead eye practice free throw shooter yet only a pretty good in-game shooter (likely high 70's).

I personally don't know my high off hand. I believe it's in the low to mid 90's but I do not recall with precision. Again though, I have the benefit of working with a shooting machine, so it's easy to keep track and maintain a great rhythm. Typically, I almost always finish around the 86-88% mark, which was my in-game percentage. It's weird how often I'll end up in the range. When making that many (or in your case, 92), it feels like just by chance we should stumble upon a high 90's score at some point, no?

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

pete mariviach said he use to make 100 fts in a row everday but i dont believe the story

BEAST

definitely possible, my highest is 94 or 95 out of 100

50~60 something in a row

free throw is a great way to get great touch, it's also a mental game , definitely sucks when you miss after a long streak

edit: i just made 108 in a row the other day , amazing feeling woo hoo
    Last edited by mr beast; 12-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.