Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
HoopsFanNumero1
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,137
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
This pretty much it. Mac is just better at everything.

What is "everything"?
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
HoopsFanNumero1
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,137
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
The windows laptop I would get is more expensive than the mac. I'm looking at the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus vs the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina. I just don't get why people are saying Windows 8.1 is so bad?

IMO the samsung is a sleeker machine and windows seems to handle multitasking better. The cons are it doesn't have AppleCare, bad dpi scaling and for me...it's just all new.

Idk...just trying to get to why everyone thinks windows 8.1 is so bad...

If it's for a laptop, then Macs generally have the advantage in hardware design, better battery life, and a much better track pad. It really depends on what software you need in the end. I know some people that run Windows on their Macs but I'd recommend against that as it reduces your battery life.
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?
 
Lebowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,014
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

I thought this thread would be about Wilt Chamberlair. Color me disappointed.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
D-Rose
Da Mavs
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,477
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Windows 8 is the shittiest OS I have ever encountered in my life. Even Vista was better. So ****ing un-user friendly and all they want to do is shove apps down your throat.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Doctor Rivers
Decent college freshman
 
Doctor Rivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,854
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Windows 8 is the shittiest OS I have ever encountered in my life. Even Vista was better. So ****ing un-user friendly and all they want to do is shove apps down your throat.

lol wrong
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
secund2nun
Kobe= 1st round loser
 
secund2nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The only thing I hate about Mac are all the viruses and malware, said no one, ever.

As the amount of Macs has expanded the virus developers have finally began to target Macs.
secund2nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
secund2nun
Kobe= 1st round loser
 
secund2nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Windows 8 sucks but you can just switch it to 7.

Don't get a mac. Macs are so overpriced. If you really wanna spend 1000-2000 on a laptop you could get a much better laptop than a Mac.

People make the error of comparing a 1500 dollar mac to a 700 dollar windows laptop so obviously the mac will be better, but for 1500 you can get a far superior windows laptop than a 1500 mac laptop.

For 1100 you can get an alienware computer which is far superior than a mac.

Last edited by secund2nun : 10-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.
secund2nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter
 
DukeDelonte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,901
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
What is "everything"?


reliability, power consumption, susceptibility to viruses, no driver issues, fewer networking issues, more versatility (you can easily dual boot or emulate windows), the OS is inherently more secure.

But Jameer is right, gaming on anything other than windows sucks if you are into PC gaming.


Like i always say comparing windows to mac is like comparing a mustang or a camaro to a volvo. You can soup up a camaro to make it eat a volvo alive but they are shoddily built and the more tinkering equates to more reliability issues. The volvo is much safer, more luxurious, and more expensive, but is pretty much bulletproof. It will run like new for years.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,321
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
reliability, power consumption, susceptibility to viruses, no driver issues, fewer networking issues, more versatility (you can easily dual boot or emulate windows), the OS is inherently more secure.

But Jameer is right, gaming on anything other than windows sucks if you are into PC gaming.


Like i always say comparing windows to mac is like comparing a mustang or a camaro to a volvo. You can soup up a camaro to make it eat a volvo alive but they are shoddily built and the more tinkering equates to more reliability issues. The volvo is much safer, more luxurious, and more expensive, but is pretty much bulletproof. It will run like new for years.
not saying macs are bad machines, but an equal value windows machine is comparable if not exceeds that of the mac.


compare the specs of the mba to a samsung ativ book 9 plus or acer s7. read the reviews, they are all very comparable machines with some aspects being better then others. calling the mba a volvo and the samsung a camaro is not accurate. all 3 are like an audi vs benz vs bmw.


i personally prefer either one of the windows machines...i currently own all 3 and like the mac the least.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter
 
DukeDelonte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,901
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
not saying macs are bad machines, but an equal value windows machine is comparable if not exceeds that of the mac.


compare the specs of the mba to a samsung ativ book 9 plus or acer s7. read the reviews, they are all very comparable machines with some aspects being better then others. calling the mba a volvo and the samsung a camaro is not accurate. all 3 are like an audi vs benz vs bmw.


i personally prefer either one of the windows machines...i currently own all 3 and like the mac the least.



its not just about raw stats though... Its how effectively and efficiently the OS uses the power, that combined with the fact that OSX is designed to only run on very specific hardware, while Windows is designed to run on anything. The people at apple know exactly how their products are going to run, while at windows, X model HP may run windows 8 great, but Y model Dell with similar or identical stats runs it like sh*t. OSX requires a lot more user permissions, so you'll never get unwanted programs or scripts that will just install themselves or just start running like they do on windows. You also never have to keep an antivirus software running in the background.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,321
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
its not just about raw stats though... Its how effectively and efficiently the OS uses the power, that combined with the fact that OSX is designed to only run on very specific hardware, while Windows is designed to run on anything. The people at apple know exactly how their products are going to run, while at windows, X model HP may run windows 8 great, but Y model Dell with similar or identical stats runs it like sh*t. OSX requires a lot more user permissions, so you'll never get unwanted programs or scripts that will just install themselves or just start running like they do on windows. You also never have to keep an antivirus software running in the background.

I haven't had a virus in i don't know how long. all i run is window's built in defender. all that noise about apple products "just working" is a load of bs. i lost count how many times my mac would freeze up.

also, both window's machines have better screens and they are both touchscreens. i didnt think i would be using that feature at all on a laptop, but it has turned out to be quite pleasant and natural to use when scrolling around.

get your windows machine from microsoft directly and it will be free of any bloatware.

the mac does have better battery life, but 9 hours on my samsung is sufficient for my needs.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
kentatm
NBA Legend
 
kentatm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 16,545
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Any thoughts on the OS X Mavericks?

Its pretty nice

LOVE that its free
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
redhonda76
Go NY GO NY GO
 
redhonda76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Windows 8 is the shittiest OS I have ever encountered in my life. Even Vista was better. So ****ing un-user friendly and all they want to do is shove apps down your throat.

Goes to show you how much you know about technology. Typical Apple-only fanboy?
redhonda76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
HoopsFanNumero1
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,137
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
reliability, power consumption, susceptibility to viruses, no driver issues, fewer networking issues, more versatility (you can easily dual boot or emulate windows), the OS is inherently more secure.

But Jameer is right, gaming on anything other than windows sucks if you are into PC gaming.


Like i always say comparing windows to mac is like comparing a mustang or a camaro to a volvo. You can soup up a camaro to make it eat a volvo alive but they are shoddily built and the more tinkering equates to more reliability issues. The volvo is much safer, more luxurious, and more expensive, but is pretty much bulletproof. It will run like new for years.

None of that means anything if the OS doesn't support the software you need.

Reliability is quite a vague term. What exactly are you referring to here? As for using bootcamp to run Windows, well you're comparing the hardware now. The discussion was to compare the two OS's. If you're going to end up running Windows on your Mac laptop, you lose one of its main advantages, which is battery life.
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
D-Rose
Da Mavs
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,477
Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhonda76
Goes to show you how much you know about technology. Typical Apple-only fanboy?
I have never owned a Mac before...my new MBA is coming in the mail though. Used Windows my entire life. Windows 7 is fantastic. I had to use my sister's laptop with 8 on it for a week and nearly killed my self at how painful it was.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy