NBA rookie of the year

Default Where is Renardo Sidney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQ_iE3kR7A

Yeah, I know he's not in the NBA but the guy used to be one of the biggest prospects around and was considered to be a top pick in the NBA draft when he was in HS.

We all know he screwed up in college and that he gained weight but the guy had amazing skillset, he really played like Z-Bo and he wasted his talents big time.

Does anyone have any updated news about the guy? The latest I could find about Renardo was articles from a year ago.

What happened to him?
    Last edited by millwad; 05-15-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Default Re: Where is Renardo Sidney?

From wikipedia:

On November 7, 2012, Sidney joined the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA D-League.[5] On February 25, 2013, he was waived by the D-Fenders before appearing in a game.

at the combine, he measured in at, 6'10 in shoes, with a 7'4 wingspan

thats pretty much the same as john henson

problem is, he weighed 304lbs.

from draftexpress, regarding his performance at the nba draft combine from last year

The heaviest player weighed in New Jersey was Mississippi State's Renardo Sidney, at a whopping 304 pounds, nearly 40 pounds more than the next heaviest prospect. His 22.4% body fat percentage was also highest by a large margin in New Jersey, and ranks as the second highest figure ever in our extensive database ahead of Oliver Miller. Sidney quit pretty early on in the workout after being seen grasping an inhaler on the sidelines.
    pretty sad story

NBA rookie of the year

A sad story indeed, and it's even more sad that there are no more news that are up to date which probably means that he's totally done as a basketball player.

The guy really had it all and blew it big time.

B

Where I thought Lance Stephenson would be...

I always thought they would both end up away from professional basketball much much earlier than their talent would allow them. I am really glad I was so horribly wrong with Stephenson, and intrigued how Indiana (or whatever else) helped him keep doing the right things.

Along the same lines as Renardo Sidney, we find Lance Stephenson (#7 Scout, #7 Rivals, #4 ESPN), similarly rated extremely high by all the major recruiting services, but similarly showing serious character flaws that put his ability to realize his full potential in major doubt. Stephenson was also coached by his father (sporting a blinking Bluetooth earpiece during games while pacing the sidelines and barking out “instructions”) and given the status of the star of his AAU team—their go-to guy and lone playmaker. His team unsurprisingly was kicked out in the first round of their bracket.
    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2TNpFw5zb
    http://www.draftexpress.com

Overweight...

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Actually his problem was that he could dominate games like Shaq with a jumper (at least in high school)... Then all of a sudden he thought he was Kobe and it as OK to play like a 300 pound guard.

Stupid ass post players wanting to play on the perimeter. That and he's dumb in general. Made too many mistakes outside of basketball which directly affected his basketball career.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Actually his problem was that he could dominate games like Shaq with a jumper (at least in high school)... Then all of a sudden he thought he was Kobe and it as OK to play like a 300 pound guard.

Stupid ass post players wanting to play on the perimeter. That and he's dumb in general. Made too many mistakes outside of basketball which directly affected his basketball career.
    Renardo had range, I have nothing against bigs spending some limited time on the perimeter and the few games I saw he was playing fine. As a sophomore he put up 14 points and 8 rebounds per game which is not bad and he was completely out of shape while doing so.

His mistakes outside of basketball were beyonded stupid, like the fight he had with his teammate while sitting in the crowd..

I some what feel sorry for the guy, he wasn't one of those who just were freaks of nature, he was a very skilled player and it takes a ton of practice to be anywhere close to as good as he was.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artificial
    I am really glad I was so horribly wrong with Stephenson, and intrigued how Indiana (or whatever else) helped him keep doing the right things
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...=2013304190046

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    I some what feel sorry for the guy, he wasn't one of those who just were freaks of nature, he was a very skilled player and it takes a ton of practice to be anywhere close to as good as he was.
    i disagree.

some guys are just born with good shooting touch, and just dont have to work as hard as others to become good shooters.

and its not like sidney was a great shooter, just a big guy who could knock down shots.

i doubt he ever worked very hard at basketball

The biggest problem was his poor attitude + conditioning. He was first hyped as an athletic point forward who could pass, shoot, and handle like a guard and they were comparing him to Lebron. He then started to gain weight and became a fat ass who could only play as a big man but he still thought he was a perimeter player.

His dad was the coach of his AAU team and let Renardo make his own subs and play however he pleased so he was never properly coached and learned how to hone his game.

He actually showed some nice skills at MSU but not enough for teams to take a chance on him. He defends the post fairly well without fouling and has a soft touch and impressive passing ability but he regularly got into foul trouble and couldn't play extended periods of time without being gassed. On talent alone and what he showed in college, he was probably an early second round pick/late first rounder but with all the red flags and conditioning issues, there was no point in wasting a pick on the guy.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    The biggest problem was his poor attitude + conditioning. He was first hyped as an athletic point forward who could pass, shoot, and handle like a guard and they were comparing him to Lebron. He then started to gain weight and became a fat ass who could only play as a big man but he still thought he was a perimeter player.

His dad was the coach of his AAU team and let Renardo make his own subs and play however he pleased so he was never properly coached and learned how to hone his game.

He actually showed some nice skills at MSU but not enough for teams to take a chance on him. He defends the post fairly well without fouling and has a soft touch and impressive passing ability but he regularly got into foul trouble and couldn't play extended periods of time without being gassed. On talent alone and what he showed in college, he was probably an early second round pick/late first rounder but with all the red flags and conditioning issues, there was no point in wasting a pick on the guy.
    He has something in common with Robert Swift. Both committed to USC and supposed to be program changers but took separate paths. Swift wanted to make millions so he skip college and ended up being broke. Sidney stepdad wanted some compensation and USC did not took the bait and rescinded his scholarship. I dunno if Sidney could ever make it but I'm sure Swift is done and it's sad.