Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Young Allen Iverson or Current Derrick Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    A) Iverson's teams needed him to score the ball like that. It's how there teams were built. When he came to Denver, with Carmelo by his side his efficiency increased and took like 19ish shots to score 25ish.
    okay but last year's bulls team wasn't really that much more talented offensively than those 76ers teams and Rose still score 25 ppg on 19.7 shots

Look at the difference in offense, those 76ers teams were routinely god awful in almost all offensive stats while the bulls were a decent offensive team last year despite having very little offensive talent outside of Rose

Was Iverson a better volume scorer?? Of course. Was Iverson a more effective all around offensive player?? I just don't see how anybody can argue that. Rose is averaging 116 points per 100 possessions this year, Iverson in his prime was averaging about 100-105

B) Creating your shot is a skill. Creating 22-23 GOOD looks that help your teams win is a pretty hard task.
    Okay I agree, but Iverson still used to have sometimes as many as 3-4 shots per game that were bad shots too early in the shot clock

Rose isn't some efficient dynamo. Hell this year's playoffs he took what? like 23-24 shots to score 27. Iverson was in the same position as him. Teams relied on him ALOT offensively. Iverson would prob rape at the free throw line these days too.

One bad playoff cold streak doesn't mean much to me. Rose is still at about 1.30 PPS when you include this year and last year's regular season numbers. Now if Rose does that again in playoffs this year, then you got a point

Not a knock on Rose like I said. Rose and Iverson are pretty similar, can't hate on one while you love the other.

I loved Allen Iverson growing up as a little kid but the fact is that he was inefficient, took too many bad shots, played terrible defense and only averaged 6 assists per game despite absolutely dominating the ball

Do I want to watch Allen Iverson?? Fukk yes, he was electrifying. Would I consider taking Iverson over Rose?? Hell no
    Last edited by brahmabull117; 01-11-2012 at 11:51 PM.

clippersfan hasnt even watched rose play more then 2 games...

As for players torching Iverson... I'd love to see you play the 2 spot as a 6'0 175 pound guard. Rose is BIGGER than most players he matches up with and he plays the 1. Yes Iverson played a lot of his career at the 1 as well... but his prime with the Sixers he was a 2. This was a guy who was matched up with prime Kobe who has 6 inches and 40+ pounds on him.
    okay but height is a part of the discussion

we're not talking about who did more with their natural offensive talent, we're talking about who was the more effective all around player.

AI was a more explosive scorer but I'd pick D rose because of his height advantage and better basketball IQ...

D.Rose -

Iverson was a ball pounder who didn't know how to play with scorers around him.

The more scoring help Iverson had the worse he became, in his early years he didn't know what to do with team mates that could score, still had no idea in his latter years. The epitomy of a ball hog.

Complete Player

This is a no-brainer. I'm taking Rose for his work ethic, mental approach to the game and the fact that he's very coachable. I pray he never goes down the path of Iverson but from the looks of it I don't have much to worry about. The kid has a good head on his shoulders.

ai

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117
    better scorer??? Iverson tried to score 30 points per game every year, Rose has never really tried to do that. The only reason Iverson scored more points is because he used to take like 24 or even 25 shots a game during certain seasons. Rose would lead the league in scoring if he took that many shots

For people here taking Iverson, I hope you realize that Rose is basically Iverson with 5 inches of height, much better court vision, higher basketball IQ and much better effort on defense
    With the amount of shots Rose takes how is he not trying to score 30? He's just not the scorer Iverson was.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Rose. He's a team player. Higher basketball IQ. Doesn't throw up prayers against double and triple teams while his teammates stand around wide open. Doesn't take tons of 3's even though he can't hit them.
    You sound like you've never seen the Sixers play before. When has AI ever thrown up prayers? He was able to get a clean look off anybody. He certainbly never threw it up into a double or triple team.
    As for not passing to open teammates? Do you know what AI's assist totals were? Tell me an SG with a higher assist total? The objective of an SG IS to create your own shot pass if open. So if you can get an open look, take it, nobody was ever better at creating space for a shot.
    Wo quit talking out your @ss.

The one who goes to practice

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Are we going by today's rules? If we are then AI no question. There ain't a player in the league that would be able to stop a young AI from getting to the rim without handchecking him

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    This is a no-brainer. I'm taking Rose for his work ethic, mental approach to the game and the fact that he's very coachable. I pray he never goes down the path of Iverson but from the looks of it I don't have much to worry about. The kid has a good head on his shoulders.
    You need some serious education brah...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
    With the amount of shots Rose takes how is he not trying to score 30? He's just not the scorer Iverson was.
    Rose is taking 15.5 shots a game right now, Iverson had seasons where he nearly doubled that

Give AI Rose's teams and he would have been in the NBA Finals last year.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    . Despite him being less efficient NO QUESTION Iverson was the better scorer. As many have said before... once they took away hand checking... Iverson's scoring jumped to 33 ppg despite him being out of his prime. That was on like 45 percent shooting too.

If Iverson played with the pus*y rules/reffing favoring wing players like Rose now IN HIS PRIME... no question he would put up 35 ppg a couple seasons. BTW Rose has never put as much effort as Iverson in any aspect of basketball. You clearly didn't watch Iverson play. His hustle and effort+determination blows Rose away.

How does one objectively measure something like "heart" or "hustle" or"effort" or "determination?" As far as I am aware, there is no statistic that provides any sort of accurate representation of a player's "effort" or "hustle."

Saying Iverson's hustle and effort "blows Rose away" is pretty idiotic. One guy is extremely coachable and likes to be pushed; the other guy made a big deal out of going to practice.

Look, I'm not questioning AI's heart. He was one of the fiercest and toughest competitors to ever play the game. But Rose is no slouch in the heart department, either. All I know is that these two players are both guys that would put their bodies, minds, and souls on the line before they would lose a game. Saying one blows the other away is silly, plain and simple.