Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The Kobe Double Standards Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Kobe career resume is probably top 10 all time without even counting those first three rings..

He'd still be 3rd or so all time in points, have a ton of all NBA teams all star games. He still led two back to back rings and a three peat which is all guys like Hakeem have ever done.. Sh!t kg and dirk have cases for top 15 with ONE ring a piece.

Kobe 01 and 02 rings should hold more worth than Duncan's last two though.
    Kobe vs. Duncan (02/07)

Kobe: 27/6/5/1/0
    Duncan: 22/12/3/1/3

Advanced stats (Kobe-Duncan)

PER: 20.5 - 27.4 (higher than any of Kobe's title runs, funnily enough)
    TS%: .511 - .556
    WS: 2.6 - 3.3
    WS/48: .148 - .214
    ORtg: 108 - 111
    DRtg: 103 - 98

Duncan was clearly better, more valuable (whatever you want to call it) in 07 than Bryant was in 02. And this is with Kobe playing on the 6th fastest team in the league. Duncan played on the fourth slowest and still has better raw stats, as well as much better advanced stats.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Kobe career resume is probably top 10 all time without even counting those first three rings..

He'd still be 3rd or so all time in points, have a ton of all NBA teams all star games. He still led two back to back rings and a three peat which is all guys like Hakeem have ever done.. Sh!t kg and dirk have cases for top 15 with ONE ring a piece.

Kobe 01 and 02 rings should hold more worth than Duncan's last two though.
    Kobe was better in 01, but Duncan was great in 07 and was the best player on his team. Kobe was a bit over-rated in 02 in my opinion.

If you were going by who was the best player at the time of each ring...I'd go;

03 Duncan
    05 Duncan
    01 Kobe
    99 Duncan
    09 Kobe
    07 Duncan
    10 Kobe
    02 Kobe
    14 Duncan
    00 Kobe

That's cuz Bran played in the eastern conference

The moment he got out of it after dominating the east in 07 he got spanked by a spurs team that he would have routinely seen in the first or second round had the cavs been out west.
    KOBE WAS INJURED THE YEAR THEY MISSED THE PLAYOFFS.

How many times do we have to repeat this? He missed 20+ games, and this was in addition to:

They traded Shaq for pennies (crap unmotivated Odom, 90 year old Brian Grant), Karl Malone retired, Ho Grant retired, traded Gary Payton for Chris ****ing Mihm, signed Vlade (who would have been great for them) who subsequently got injured for the whole year, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    KOBE WAS INJURED THE YEAR THEY MISSED THE PLAYOFFS.

How many times do we have to repeat this? He missed 20+ games, and this was in addition to:

They traded Shaq for pennies (crap unmotivated Odom, 90 year old Brian Grant), Karl Malone retired, Ho Grant retired, traded Gary Payton for Chris ****ing Mihm, signed Vlade (who would have been great for them) who subsequently got injured for the whole year, etc.
    Funny....I'd imagine a team of Dirk/Odom/Butler missing the playoffs would get a lot of hate from Kobe fans.

I agree it shouldn't be held against Kobe, but trying imagining the fallout for Dirk or Lebron missing the playoffs with that in the heart of their primes...

Stop acting like Kobe fans would be forgiving...

Honestly, that 05 Lakers roster looks a lot like some of my Mavs rosters from 08 through 10.

NBA Superstar

Kobe ranks somewhere between 7-11 all time. Anyone who says anything else is on his dlck or a hater.

Wilt, Kareem, Russell (holy center trinity)

MJ, Bird, Magic (holy perimeter trinity)

those are the top 6.

Kobe, LeBron, Duncan (holy current trinity)

Oscar, Moses, Shaq (bottom end of the all time greats)

I put Kobe 8th due to longevity. Had LeBron won this year, I might have swapped him into Bird's spot, but this playoffs really showed LBJ was not yet a true winner. He is a winner but not a holy trinity winner, Kobe is more of a holy trinity winner, but I think LBJ is at a higher level in skill, impact and dominance than Kobe ever was.

Skill
    Impact
    Dominance
    Winning
    Longevity

Those are my five criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Kobe vs. Duncan (02/07)

Kobe: 27/6/5/1/0
    Duncan: 22/12/3/1/3

Advanced stats (Kobe-Duncan)

PER: 20.5 - 27.4 (higher than any of Kobe's title runs, funnily enough)
    TS%: .511 - .556
    WS: 2.6 - 3.3
    WS/48: .148 - .214
    ORtg: 108 - 111
    DRtg: 103 - 98

Duncan was clearly better, more valuable (whatever you want to call it) in 07 than Bryant was in 02. And this is with Kobe playing on the 6th fastest team in the league. Duncan played on the fourth slowest and still has better raw stats, as well as much better advanced stats.

I'd say it's a bit closer than those numbers indicated because the Spurs in 07 had one of the easiest paths to the title ever...while the 02 Lakers had to be an absolute great 02 Kings team.

I still take Duncan, but I think the competition level needs to be acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Funny....I'd imagine a team of Dirk/Odom/Butler missing the playoffs would get a lot of hate from Kobe fans.

I agree it shouldn't be held against Kobe, but trying imagining the fallout for Dirk or Lebron missing the playoffs with that in the heart of their primes...

Stop acting like Kobe fans would be forgiving...

Honestly, that 05 Lakers roster looks a lot like some of my Mavs rosters from 08 through 10.
    If you're trying to say a green-ass Caron Butler was any good... I don't know what to tell you. He only became good once he arrived at the Wizards.

And no, nobody would disparage Dirk for missing the playoffs with a bunch of terrible players and missing a bunch of games due to injury. Butler played 77 games. Odom played 60 something.

Seriously, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. CHUCKY ATKINS led that team in minutes. Let that sink in.
    Last edited by Droid101; 06-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.

NBA Legend

If you're trying to say a green-ass Caron Butler was any good... I don't know what to tell you. He only became good once he arrived at the Wizards.

And no, nobody would disparage Dirk for missing the playoffs with a bunch of terrible players and missing a bunch of games due to injury.

Seriously, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. CHUCKY ATKINS led that team in minutes. Let that sink in.

Butler, Odom, and rookie Wade won a playoff series the year before the Shaq trade. Why couldn't Kobe win a playoff series three straight years in his prime?

Oh ****ing hell I just looked up the rosters for the 2008-2010 Mavs. You are completely delusional if you think the 2005 Lakers had anything even close to those. You have gone off the deep end.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Kobe playing with a Top 3 Center All-time Shaq is a determent to his first three rings, but Magic playing with Top two Player all-time in Jabbar means he's the arguable GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Kobe playing with a Top 3 Center All-time Shaq is a determent to his first three rings, but Magic playing with Top two Player all-time in Jabbar means he's the arguable GOAT.
    Except it clearly takes away from both of them.

Which is why Jordan 6/6 wins every time.

Kobelicious

Quote Originally Posted by navy

pippen is clearly underrated though,
    he just didnt have enough chance to prove it,
    this is one of the reason why playing with top player in their prime should be considered unfortunate

but you could argue that MJ molded him, and he wouldnt be the same player without MJ

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by navy

Yet they're both in everyone's Top 5

It doesn't take away from either of them, or at least you claim that now , but would never dare apply it, unless one of them falls out the Top 5?

And no, nobody would disparage Dirk for missing the playoffs with a bunch of terrible players and missing a bunch of games due to injury. Butler played 77 games. Odom played 60 something.

3rd year Butler was pretty good actually...and so was Odom. In fact those guys had success in Miami the year before.

As for Dirk...meh...the 08 Mavs are marginally better. We only had kidd for like 30 games, Stackhouse was hurt, Damp was probably worse than Mihm...etc.

I don't care about Kobe missing the playoffs in 05...I just know if other players did you Kobe stans would be all over them.

Oh ****ing hell I just looked up the rosters for the 2008-2010 Mavs. You are completely delusional if you think the 2005 Lakers had anything even close to those. You have gone off the deep end.
    Kidd (29 games)
    Josh Howard
    Terry
    Stackhouse
    Damp
    Diop
    Eddie Jones
    Bass
    Harris (traded)

vs

Odom
    Butler
    Atkins
    Mihm
    George
    Grant
    Cook
    Jones

Meh...Dallas was marginally better. Why the Atkins hate? He played every game and put up 14/3/4 . Let me guess....Harris was just way better with his 14/2/5

Dallas certainly isn't 17 wins better...