Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Default Re: Big Ten fan thread

Quote Originally Posted by BTFU98923
    He also needs to find out how to win a game in overtime. So far at Purdue, he is something like 0-5 or 0-6 in overtime games. Funny thing is, most of the time the Boilers have the final shot in regulation too, and can't ever convert.
    Having the final shot and not being able to convert is not the coach's fault.

NBA Superstar

It's official:

Big 10 COY: Tom Izzo

Big 10 POY: Kalin Lucas

Big 10 DPOY: Travis Walton

Suton made second team Big 10 as well.

I'm not shocked by any of those selections. Lucas is an absolute stud and I'm a little surprised he doesn't recieve more praise on national shows like college gameday.

Saw a basketball once

i've got sparty making their usual unexpected izzoish elite eight - final four type run.

the mix of vets and young guys is classic sparty.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

I thought Chester would win DPOY.

EDIT: Wow, BJ Mullens as 6th man of the year? Jajuan Johnson over Coble? Kinda questionable.
    Last edited by wang4three; 03-09-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I thought Chester would win DPOY.

EDIT: Wow, BJ Mullens as 6th man of the year? Jajuan Johnson over Coble? Kinda questionable.
    My guess is that Johnson was picked over Coble because he also lead the league in blocks and quite possibly was the most improved player in the league. Don't get me wrong though, Coble definitely should have been up there, or close.

what i don't understand is izzo for coach of the year. yeah he did a good job this year, but look at his talent level. i think dechellis should have been a no-brainer for coach of the year. with the work he has done in the past year getting penn state to their first tournament, i don't know how you would not pick him.

NBA Superstar

what i don't understand is izzo for coach of the year. yeah he did a good job this year, but look at his talent level. i think dechellis should have been a no-brainer for coach of the year. with the work he has done in the past year getting penn state to their first tournament, i don't know how you would not pick him.
    Nah. It's like a batter going 1-4 in a baseball game. At some point you're gonna make it with the players he had the last few years.

I would've had Dechellis or Weber as COY. I'm not sure if it was a no-brainer. Izzo's team was clearly the best, but both of these other guys orchestrated great turn arounds.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I would've had Dechellis or Weber as COY. I'm not sure if it was a no-brainer. Izzo's team was clearly the best, but both of these other guys orchestrated great turn arounds.
    The COY was a split decision. The coaches chose Izzo and the media picked Dechellis.

link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...9AllBigTen.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Positive
    The COY was a split decision. The coaches chose Izzo and the media picked Dechellis.

link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...9AllBigTen.pdf
    I'm well aware of that. That's why I used the pronoun "I".

NBA Superstar

Dechelllis winning is the same as Sam Mitchell winning the NBA COY.

It's basically saying "We know you really aren't close to the best coach, but we feel good that your team finally did something so here, take this award."

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos

It's basically saying "We know you really aren't close to the best coach, but we feel good that your team finally did something so here, take this award."
    Sorry wang, misunderstood your post.

But yeah, I definitely agree with you here. I've watched pretty much all of PSU's games this year and I personally think Dechellis is an awful coach. If you watch their offense for long stretches of each game the offense becomes completely stagnant. They give Battle and Pringle the ball and hope something good happens, and everyone else just stands there. As great as a turnaround PSU has had this season, I think it has much more to do with the quality of players they have than the coaching. I can't remember the last time PSU has had guards the caliber of Battle and Pringle.

Purdue actually showed up last night. If they are somehow able to play like that the rest of the weekend, I think anyone would have trouble keeping up with them. However, I am trying not to be too optimistic, since they shot lights out last night, and they can't be expected to do that all the time. But seriously, Purdue looked scary good last night.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos

How do you know he didn't do the best job of coaching basketball this year? Give him a roster full of 4- and 5-star recruits and how do you know he doesn't go 15-3 in the Big Ten?

How do you know Izzo could've got 24 wins so far out of what Bruce Weber has?

That's why COY awards are dumb, in my opinion, and I don't get worked up over them. Weber got the national COY award in 2005 when he had three brilliant guards and a roster full of guys he didn't recruit, and I'd say he did a much better coaching job in 2007- overcoming a ton of injuries and off-court troubles to get 23 wins and a tourney bid- and this year as well.