Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft

Default Re: Draft

Nope he didnt get any invite to a draft part. Ah well.

Cheap asses.

I usually hit open layups

I think unless you have multiple picks or a lottery pick, it's probably not something most teams do. Seems like more of a marketing event for bad teams. Come to think of it, being 22nd in attendance, maybe they should have a draft party. Then again, would look pretty bad if no one showed up.

Teams having a party:

Warriors
    Mavs
    Spurs
    Pacers
    T'Wolves
    Thunder
    Clippers
    Hornets
    Kings
    Suns
    Grizzlies
    Heat
    Hawks
    Pistons
    Jazz
    Bucks
    Knicks

Not having a party:

Sixers
    Cavaliers
    Raptors
    Bulls
    Lakers
    Blazers
    Rockets (no picks)
    Bobcats
    Nets
    Wizards
    Nuggets
    Celtics
    Magic

I think '07 was the only one we've had in recent years. Would still be a cool thing to go to. They could hold it at a smaller venue if they're worried about empty seats.

Trust me, Eric Maynor is the real deal and if he's there at #17 and Philly drafts him..You've got yourself one of the best players in this draft.

Yes, he's that good

Doug Gottlieb just threw a hook at me. He said unless Camby or Kaman is traded, he truly expects Brandon Jennings to be the rookie of the year next year. Wow.

I would bet serious money that Jennings will not be the rookie of the year.

Chad Ford by the way is very high on Maynor for what that's worth.

Todd Doug (St. Charles)
    What is the highest you think Maynor can go tomorrow? It seems like he's ready to play right now..

Chad Ford
    He's my favorite sleeper in the draft. I think is range is 13-24. Right now I have him on the low end of that range because of feedback, but personally, I think he should be much higher.

Kevin (PHILA, PA)
    With the 76ers looking for a viable PG of the future, who do you like among Lawson, Teague, Jennings, and Maynor?

Chad Ford
    I hear they love Lawson, Maynor, Jennings, Teague in that order

It's weird that they could like Jennings more than Teague but didn't bother to bring him in. Did we invite him and he declined? I'm trying to find the lowest team Jennings worked out for. Suns at 14 just off of a quick google search.

Several points:

1 - while I believe Ford formulated his opinion based on various conversations with people in the organization, he himself admits that GMs never tell him who they want, so his opinion could very well be wrong.

2- Jennings attended a workout in New Jersey that was attended by Stefanski.

3 - We have a European scouting department and DiLeo has a lot of contacts in Europe, so Sixers can easily get a read on the kid without personally watching him workout in Philly.

4 - They could have invited him and his agent refused because he felt our pick is too low or we could have not invited him at all, thinking that there is little chance he would be there at 17.

5 - It's not out of the ordinary for a team, particularly one picking outside the top few spots, to not workout a few of the guys they like so as to creat the impression they aren't interested in them in order to disuade the teams picking below them from trading up and snatching that player before your turn comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    It's weird that they could like Jennings more than Teague but didn't bother to bring him in. Did we invite him and he declined? I'm trying to find the lowest team Jennings worked out for. Suns at 14 just off of a quick google search.
    Yes Sixers invited him and he declined. Reason? He feels he will be long gone before 17 so didnt feel the need to work out for them.

What is your source that the Sixers invited Jennings for a private workout and he declined?

Nevermind - found this:

"Courtney Witte, the Sixers' director of player personnel, said he and the staff had been unable to convince Brandon Jennings, the Oak Hill Academy star who spent this season in Italy, to come in for a visit. "He's being considered considerably higher than the 17th pick," Witte said. "We've had multiple conversations with his people, but their expectations are that he'll be at a certain level [above No. 17]." Jennings, the Naismith and Parade Magazine high school Player of the Year in 2008, averaged 5.5 points in 27 games for Lottomatica Virtus Roma in Italy's Serie A, and 7.6 points in 16 Euroleague games."

But also found this:

"Brandon Jennings participated in a group workout that included Terrence Williams and Johnny Flynn. Represenatives of 18 other NBA teams were on hand to observe the workout."

Not clear if the Sixers were there, but one would think that with New Jersey just an hour and a half drive away, they probably made it.

I could be a d!ck right here but I'll pass. Maybe I should be the Sixers PG

A dick why? Because I asked for a source? Remind me, did you ever ask for a source on this thread only to be provided with one? And did you also ask to be a dick and not only because you were inquisitive? That's what I thought. I'm sure you believe you could be the Sixers PG, but if not, would you look into your crystal ball and tell us whether they'll re-sign Miller and if not, whom they will draft, whom they will sign, and what trades if any they will make. Wouldn't have to deal with all this suspense and read all these know nothing idiots on ESPN and RealGm and other reporters with contacts to NBA front offices.