Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: NBA labor talks broke down on October 20; No new meeting scheduled

Am I the only one who is not fazed by the lockout?
    Yeah, I wanta see some ball.
    But this is a negotation - it will get done when its ready.I love my ball but I can keep myself busy without it...
    I dont blame either side.They are both entitled to their respective stances.
    I guess having been involved in alot of these types of negotations(not the Nba of course.)I take the long term point of view and understand a little pain now will be better in the long run..

I don't understand how you could have billion dollar business owners, million dollar players with all types of executives and agents of the sort, and a world class political mediator meet and talk for 15 hour meetings, and the only result that comes up is, "There has been no progress."

I mean what the **** are they doing in there....

Oh well, truth be told, I gave up on the season about three months ago. There way things were going then, it seemed pretty obvious we were gonna miss basketball until at least past Christmas. That's just the way it is. Doesn't really hurt now cause I accepted it a while ago. I forget that there's supposed to be basketball on right now. I'm just really into football.

This is really gonna suck come around late November early December though. And when we get to Christmas and there's still no b-ball, its gonna blow.

Bye bye season

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJDW
    I don't understand how you could have billion dollar business owners, million dollar players with all types of executives and agents of the sort, and a world class political mediator meet and talk for 15 hour meetings, and the only result that comes up is, "There has been no progress."

I mean what the **** are they doing in there....

Oh well, truth be told, I gave up on the season about three months ago. There way things were going then, it seemed pretty obvious we were gonna miss basketball until at least past Christmas. That's just the way it is. Doesn't really hurt now cause I accepted it a while ago. I forget that there's supposed to be basketball on right now. I'm just really into football.

This is really gonna suck come around late November early December though. And when we get to Christmas and there's still no b-ball, its gonna blow.
    A mediator is just that...he cant make both parties agree to anything..he can try to reason with both sides but thats it..to me it was just a p.r decision on both sides of the equation..

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Its not about the money, its about the chance of small markets in winning a chip. And money will follow after that. The higher the chance, the higher the fan support. And if the owner of the spurs says its it despite winning 4 chips, then theres really something wrong with the system.
    This whole thing is about the money, the owners want to make a guaranteed profit, and a system that even bad management can't fail in.

And the Spurs didn't lose money all the way through, they have the last few seasons.

Plus there is no way every team could have chance to compete, unless you make in the NHL mold, and as much as I love my Knicks, I'm gone if it comes down to that.

That shit is boring, and unmarketable.

The owners think the player will break, which is why they aren't even playing fair in the negotiations.

Every other sport, the players get the majority share of the income, and those teams especially in the NFL can compete, but there will also be the team that go decades without winning.

Hard caps, and revenue sharing does not help that.

F*ck you Derek Fisher. Why did NBA players voted him as the President of the Players Association?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    F*ck you Derek Fisher. Why did NBA players voted him as the President of the Players Association?
    For starters, he's well spoken.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

why the hate?

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Who'd be your choice? LeBron?

Fish is respected by pretty much every NBA player, that's why he is there.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Who'd be your choice? LeBron?

Fish is respected by pretty much every NBA player, that's why he is there.
    he also won a game in .4 seconds

Disappointing, no season, nothing to discuss.

My 2ct about this lock out - both sides are guilty, but major fault by owners. They are sitting on their billions and simply waiting for players to crack. Sure, not all teams make money, but with players proposal pretty much everyone would. Owners greedily want to make money regardless how they screw up their teams, thats not how business works.

Most importantly, its owners fault if they arent making money in the first place. Nobody forces them to give insane contracts to mediocre players, nobody forces them to slack instead of growing fan base and working better with sponsors, etc.

Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by nayte
    A mediator is just that...he cant make both parties agree to anything..he can try to reason with both sides but thats it..to me it was just a p.r decision on both sides of the equation..
    The question wasn't why did they have the mediator, it's why did they spend multiple huge sessions to come out with "no progress". They were talking about how the players went down to 52.5%, from 53%. And the owners refused going above 50. So what in the **** did they do that entire time? Lol.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    This whole thing is about the money, the owners want to make a guaranteed profit, and a system that even bad management can't fail in.

And the Spurs didn't lose money all the way through, they have the last few seasons.

Plus there is no way every team could have chance to compete, unless you make in the NHL mold, and as much as I love my Knicks, I'm gone if it comes down to that.

That shit is boring, and unmarketable.

The owners think the player will break, which is why they aren't even playing fair in the negotiations.

Every other sport, the players get the majority share of the income, and those teams especially in the NFL can compete, but there will also be the team that go decades without winning.

Hard caps, and revenue sharing does not help that.
    Its their business and they can do whatever they want. If NFL is having unguaranteed contracts while its players are getting injured more often than nba players, then why cant they.

And soft cap or hard cap really doesnt matter. What matters is the BRI split coz even if they have a 20 million hardcap, nba would still end up paying 57% of 4 billion(2.28 billion of salaries) even if all the teams just spend 600 million in salaries(30 teams * 20 million hard cap). Its only use is to separate superstars from joining each other.

Yes, every team doesnt have to compete but at least make it a level playing field by putting a hardcap and maybe its boring to you but its not for others. Just look at NFL. If small market teams has a chance of winning, more fans are watching like the NFL and MLB so the higher the revenue.

And NFL players get lesser share than NBa players and they have twice the revenues than the NBA. I think they are only at 47%.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Its their business and they can do whatever they want. If NFL is having unguaranteed contracts while its players are getting injured more often than nba players, then why cant they.

And soft cap or hard cap really doesnt matter. What matters is the BRI split coz even if they have a 20 million hardcap, nba would still end up paying 57% of 4 billion(2.28 billion of salaries) even if all the teams just spend 600 million in salaries(30 teams * 20 million hard cap). Its only use is to separate superstars from joining each other.

Yes, every team doesnt have to compete but at least make it a level playing field by putting a hardcap and maybe its boring to you but its not for others. Just look at NFL. If small market teams has a chance of winning, more fans are watching like the NFL and MLB so the higher the revenue.

And NFL players get lesser share than NBa players and they have twice the revenues than the NBA. I think they are only at 47%.

First of all, the NBA already HAS non guaranteed contracts. The Phoenix Suns offered Amar'e Stoudemire a 3 year contract with 2 years non guaranteed, last year. The Knicks offered him 5 years fully guaranteed, which is why he picked NY.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/07/0...w-york-knicks/

[QUOTE]Stoudemire rejected the Suns

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Second of all, if you have an NFL type system in the NBA where teams can cut dead weight whenever they want, the unintended consequence would be that the Knicks and Lakers would drop their bottom 5 players every single year to get all the top free agents. The reason that system works in the NFL is that there are so many injuries, that you NEED a way to get rid of players. In the NBA, the teams just WANT to get rid of players.

You think the Lakers wouldn't cut Pau and Bynum to sign Dwight and Paul?
    SALARY CAP. They couldn't do that because there's a little thing in place called the Salary Cap. I thought you would of heard of it by now.

The Lakers or Knicks or Heat or any of the teams way over the cap wouldn't be able to do as you suggest because.

Wait hold on it's so cool

They'd still be over the cap and unable to sign big name big salary players to contracts you can't sign any free agent except an MLE or Vet min. to a contract if you are even one cent over the cap.
    But you know who could?
    A team that wasn't over the cap or one not over the cap by a mile might be able to ditch that POS sitting on the bench sucking up 5 million a year and sign that big name free agent, but under the old CBA they couldn't do it because even if they buy that POS out, his contract was still on the books while the POS went and sucked some other teams cap space up.

Since you used the Lakers as an example, the Lakers as constructed last year would still have been over the cap by a few million if they cut Bynum and Pau and for next season under the recently expired rules even with the Lakers only having 8 players under contract they would still be over the cap if they cut Bynum and Pau.

You're scenario you're trying to promote is very unrealistic, being able to cut dead weight would only be a positive ofr the teams and fans

Salary Caps it's not just for breakfast anymore