Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Default Re: Am i the only irish peron on ISH?

damn, i woulda never thought this topic woulda brought out so many bitter irishmen. anyway, i'm like 7% irish, but don't know too much about where down my lineage it is.

HeartHustleHope

Quote Originally Posted by hito da god
    on the seventh day the good lord crouched over england, and what came out resulted in the vile island of ireland.
    You might the biggest wanker in the history of the planet.

Learning to shoot layups

The Irish are the coolest white people on earth. The English and Americans even decided that they weren't actually white for a while, reason they've still got the Irish pride.

College star

why are there 4 pages to this thread? who gives a damn about the irish people...just give these drunk clowns a bottle and watch them fight on the streets like animals. Who gives a **** about irish folk?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bada bing
    why are there 4 pages to this thread? who gives a damn about the irish people...just give these drunk clowns a bottle and watch them fight on the streets like animals. Who gives a **** about irish folk?
    R.E.P.P.E.D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan
    When the British could not defeat a country with a fraction of the resources and population as themselves. This set a precedent for the complete dismantling of the British empime before the end of the century.
    Do you remember those 800 years when England owned Ireland, even sending a 4th of it's ginger population over to Barbados to pick Tobacco as slaves, not feeding Ireland when they were starving because without potatos they are functionless, and Oliver Cromwell using Ireland as his dart board? England just wanted to stop getting their cities bombed by cowardly asshole IRA, England didn't lose in any shape or form

Quote Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
    Do you remember those 800 years when England owned Ireland, even sending a 4th of it's ginger population over to Barbados to pick Tobacco as slaves, not feeding Ireland when they were starving because without potatos they are functionless, and Oliver Cromwell using Ireland as his dart board? England just wanted to stop getting their cities bombed by cowardly asshole IRA, England didn't lose in any shape or form
    You do realise that I'm not talkigng about the Modern Troubles, I'm talking about the War of Independence, which set the wheels in motion for the destruction of the British Empire?

I really don't know where your getting the idea that the British sent a quarter of our population to Barbados, cause frankly, that never happened.

Oliver Cromwell pillaged the defenceless town of Drogheda, killing and raping along the way. Sounds a bit cowardly to me?

Yes, Ireland suffered greatly during the potato famine. Mainly because of the sheer misfortune of the potato blight, but also due to:

1)Englands refusal to send any meaningful aid to Ireland.
    2)The Penal laws which has caused a huge split in Irish society, which led to Irish Catholics being unable to earn a decent wage and being treated against second class citizens.

England didn't lose at all?
    Being forced to withdraw from a country that is geographically right beside it encouraged India and others to strike for their own independence(in both violent and non-violent ways) and bring an end to Britain being any kind of a superpower.

Stop being an idiot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan
    You do realise that I'm not talkigng about the Modern Troubles, I'm talking about the War of Independence, which set the wheels in motion for the destruction of the British Empire?

I really don't know where your getting the idea that the British sent a quarter of our population to Barbados, cause frankly, that never happened.

Oliver Cromwell pillaged the defenceless town of Drogheda, killing and raping along the way. Sounds a bit cowardly to me?

Yes, Ireland suffered greatly during the potato famine. Mainly because of the sheer misfortune of the potato blight, but also due to:

1)Englands refusal to send any meaningful aid to Ireland.
    2)The Penal laws which has caused a huge split in Irish society, which led to Irish Catholics being unable to earn a decent wage and being treated against second class citizens.

England didn't lose at all?
    Being forced to withdraw from a country that is geographically right beside it encouraged India and others to strike for their own independence(in both violent and non-violent ways) and bring an end to Britain being any kind of a superpower.

Stop being an idiot.
    Don't know your own people's history eh paddy?
    The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.

Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland's population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain's solution was to auction them off as well.
    During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves. They'll come up with terms like "Indentured Servants" to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.
    African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African.

The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master's free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Were_there_Irish_slaves
    damn irish slaves only worth a tenth of the cost of an African slave. 5 Sterling? That is about the price of 5 kilos of tea leaves at the time.

That's called getting owned by England my dear Aiden.

And England just left Ireland because they realized there was nothing worthwhile there, and got sick of trying to decipher that blarney accent you all have. England just felt bad from the 800 years of owning you and so let you all be free to dance under the moonlight and frolic in the shamrocks, whatever it is you mick leprechauns do these days lol
    Last edited by lilmarcgasol; 03-01-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Hey look at me, my great-grandmother's roommate's nephew immigrated here from Ireland so I love Dropkick Murphy's and Flogging Molly!! I'm so fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king Irish!! If you're born in America, you're an American. If you're born in Ireland, you're Irish. That's how it works. Maybe if you're a first generation immigrant you can claim something, but if not, STFU.
    So if you live on an american military base in Germany and you are born outside of the gates are you German?

F@ggot... Nationality is a tricky thing that you cant generalize like that. I claim American nationality and support most all actions by our country, but does that mean I just give a big "fcku you" to my heritage because im removed from it? Anyone who tries to pull that shiet should take a good look in the mirror... were getting close borderline hate crimes here.

BTW, Flogging Molly sucks [COLOR="White"]but the same cant be said for Dropkick Murphys[/COLOR]

Isn't an american military based considered american soil? That doesn't really contradict randy's point. Its like being born in an American Embassy.

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    Isn't an american military based considered american soil? That doesn't really contradict randy's point. Its like being born in an American Embassy.
    Can you read or are you just trying to win an argument?

Quote Originally Posted by FG20
    So if you live on an american military base in Germany and you are born outside of the gates are you German?
    Of course if you are born on AMERICAN SOIL then technically you hold true to what Randy believes about nationality... Im playing by his rules... your TECHNICALLY not born on American Soil so what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    Can you read or are you just trying to win an argument?
    I guess it just doesn't really contradict randy's point, thats why I found it strange.

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    I guess it just doesn't really contradict randy's point, thats why I found it strange.
    omg... its like trying to talk to Helen Keller using sign language...

Okay, suppose your American parents are on vacation and you just happen to be born in a French hospital. By his reckoning you are French.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
    Don't know your own people's history eh paddy?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Were_there_Irish_slaves
    damn irish slaves only worth a tenth of the cost of an African slave. 5 Sterling? That is about the price of 5 kilos of tea leaves at the time.

That's called getting owned by England my dear Aiden.

And England just left Ireland because they realized there was nothing worthwhile there, and got sick of trying to decipher that blarney accent you all have. England just felt bad from the 800 years of owning you and so let you all be free to dance under the moonlight and frolic in the shamrocks, whatever it is you mick leprechauns do these days lol
    Don't know my own history?
    Try 50,000 Irish slaves, not 500,000. WikiAnswers isn't really a reliable source.

Yeah, you're right, England just felt bad. It couldn't have anything to do with the military losses, huge expense or international criticism now could it?

It's Aidan, by the way.

You're really not that intelligent are you? You have to result to rather tame insults to back up you're idiotic views.

Um, rather than dance under the moonlight, we worked on becoming the most affluent country in the EU, and having a much higher GDP per person than America.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    omg... its like trying to talk to Helen Keller using sign language...

Okay, suppose your American parents are on vacation and you just happen to be born in a French hospital. By his reckoning you are French.

Apparently google says you can get dual citizenship. So.... yes, he could be French, if thats what French law dictates.