Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

Default Trump bullies China. China blinks, starts scrambling to open markets

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la...410-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...966_story.html

Quote:
Speaking at annual economic forum 40 years after China began what is known as the “reform and opening up” of its economy, Xi pledged to begin a new phase of that process. The Trump administration has threatened to impose $150 billion in tariffs on Chinese imports over allegations of unfair trade practices.

Xi pledged to reduce restrictions on imported cars by the end of the year, bolster intellectual property rights, and allow greater access to financial markets — all White House grievances. A day before Xi's speech, Trump tweeted about the injustice of China's 25% tariffs on foreign cars.

The auto sector is one that Trump has highlighted as a concern.

To set up factories in China, foreign car companies are forced into 50-50 joint ventures with Chinese companies, and many fear their valuable intellectual property will eventually find its way into Chinese cars. Vehicles imported from abroad face a 25 percent import tariff.

“When a car is sent to the United States from China, there is a Tariff to be paid of 2 1/2%,” Trump tweeted Monday. “When a car is sent to China from the United States, there is a Tariff to be paid of 25%. Does that sound like free or fair trade. No, it sounds like STUPID TRADE — going on for years!”

Analysts question whether Xi's conciliatory speech really popped the tension.

"I suspect Trump is going to go Jerry Maguire and say, 'Show me the money,'" said Christopher Balding, associate professor of business and economics at the HSBC Business School in Shenzhen. "Give me what the actual tariff rate into China is going to be. Don't just tell me you've changed, show me."

Trump doing the heavy lifting that will benefit not only the US but also the European pvssy ass leaders who won't stand up to China.
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: Trump bullies China. China blinks, starts scrambling to open markets

Quote:
“When a car is sent to the United States from China, there is a Tariff to be paid of 2 1/2%,” Trump tweeted Monday. “When a car is sent to China from the United States, there is a Tariff to be paid of 25%. Does that sound like free or fair trade.

Simple question....

If those numbers are accurate, anybody who thinks we SHOULDN'T change something is just an idiot.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Akrazotile
Banned

Default Re: Trump bullies China. China blinks, starts scrambling to open markets

The left tard silence in this thread will be deafening.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

Trump doing a lot of the stuff....ok some of the stuff , Bernie promised to do, that he said Clinton would NEVER do, if he got in office.
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Simple question....

If those numbers are accurate, anybody who thinks we SHOULDN'T change something is just an idiot.

The simple answer to this is that Chinese tariffs hurt Chinese citizens the most.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
The simple answer to this is that Chinese tariffs hurt Chinese citizens the most.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

So we should or shouldn't not change something?

Cause something tells me if China is slapping a 25% tariff on our shit, while we only hit theirs with 2.5%, they're making out in the deal.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la...410-story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...966_story.html

Trump doing the heavy lifting that will benefit not only the US but also the European pvssy ass leaders who won't stand up to China.
Stand up to China?
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:
So we should or shouldn't not change something?

Cause something tells me if China is slapping a 25% tariff on our shit, while we only hit theirs with 2.5%, they're making out in the deal.

Have you seen the living conditions of an average Chinese citizen? It's nothing to be jealous of. Their tariffs hold them back more than it helps them.

You're not being specific in your questions. There are a lot of things we should change, and a bunch of them have nothing to do with tariffs or China.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
FultzNationRISE
Banned

Quote:
Have you seen the living conditions of an average Chinese citizen? It's nothing to be jealous of. Their tariffs hold them back more than it helps them.

There is broad array of reasons for this, not the least of which is the sheer size of their population. Huge groups mean huge bureaucracy and huge anonymity. People are generally less accountable in these settings. China also hs more millionaires than any country. You could easily say that’s because of favorable trade if you want to be selective.

I dont think there’s any question the arrangement is lopsided. Trump’s solution isnt for us to be more closed off but for China to be more open. He just had to use the threat of us closing off in order to get there.

Seems to have worked pretty effectively. Xi Jinpin straight up bent the knee. It’s impressive.
FultzNationRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:

You're not being specific in your questions. There are a lot of things we should change, and a bunch of them have nothing to do with tariffs or China.

How specific do you need me to be?

Either you believe a 2.5% tariffs on incoming goods and a 25% tariff on exported goods is fair, or you think that needs to change. I think it needs to change, because IMO, its unfair, and I am more than willing to allow Trump the leeway he needs in order to get the deal more fair.

So... should we do something about the fact that its much cheaper to import cars into the US from China as opposed to the other way around, or do we throw our hands up and say 'well, this hurts the Chinese people too so it's cool'?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE
There is broad array of reasons for this, not the least of which is the sheer size of their population. Huge groups mean huge bureaucracy and huge anonymity. People are generally less accountable in these settings. China also hs more millionaires than any country. You could easily say that’s because of favorable trade if you want to be selective.

I dont think there’s any question the arrangement is lopsided. Trump’s solution isnt for us to be more closed off but for China to be more open. He just had to use the threat of us closing off in order to get there.

Seems to have worked pretty effectively. Xi Jinpin straight up bent the knee. It’s impressive.

I wouldn't call it a win for us. Xi is angling China to be the leader of the economic world and these changes can accelerate the rate for when that time comes. Both countries will benefit in this case but China will benefit a lot more. Meanwhile, nothing is still being done to tackle the real problems of our economy and our budget and trade deficits will continue to get worse.

Or this talk can also mean nothing and just be rhetoric... Which is what it is at the moment.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #12
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:
How specific do you need me to be?

Either you believe a 2.5% tariffs on incoming goods and a 25% tariff on exported goods is fair, or you think that needs to change. I think it needs to change, because IMO, its unfair, and I am more than willing to allow Trump the leeway he needs in order to get the deal more fair.

So... should we do something about the fact that its much cheaper to import cars into the US from China as opposed to the other way around, or do we throw our hands up and say 'well, this hurts the Chinese people too so it's cool'?

Well your question said "change something"... Something could mean a lot of things. If you are talking about changing tariffs only, then no, I don't believe that specifically needs to change. I don't really care how much the Chinese government chooses to restrict Chinese citizens, it's on them. It's irrelevant to the real economic problems of the US.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a win for us. Xi is angling China to be the leader of the economic world and these changes can accelerate the rate for when that time comes. Both countries will benefit in this case but China will benefit a lot more. Meanwhile, nothing is still being done to tackle the real problems of our economy and our budget and trade deficits will continue to get worse.

Or this talk can also mean nothing and just be rhetoric... Which is what it is at the moment.

I don't doubt that, but ultimately if they have the might there may not be much we can do about it. At the very least we'll know that it didnt happen because Trump just sat there and got cucked. I think using the leverage we do have now to make them play by the rules everyone else plays by is a pretty logical step.

I agree it's imperative to address other issues such as spending. We know the elite players in global economy really dont give a shit about what's important to us. We know citizens have to be united and concerted in their efforts to keep money out of their hands in the first place. It's as simple as that. That is entirely what it boils down to. If you continue to give your money over to people who continuously cut you out of the decision process, you get what you get. That's not something surprising or that we can't all figure out.

The question is are we gonna talk about it day after day... or make moves? I know I'm trying, can't speak for anyone else.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Well your question said "change something"... Something could mean a lot of things. If you are talking about changing tariffs only, then no, I don't believe that specifically needs to change. I don't really care how much the Chinese government chooses to restrict Chinese citizens, it's on them. It's irrelevant to the real economic problems of the US.

You don't believe Chinese tariffs don't hurt US businesses?

Interesting theory.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
You don't believe Chinese tariffs don't hurt US businesses?

Interesting theory.

Can't do much about China putting tariffs on US products short of getting into a trade war with them.. Trade wars hurt both you and your opponent.

Now the thing with China is they have their feet in so many areas when it comes to manufacturing and exportation that it would be tougher for us to damage them than for them to damage us. USA doesn't export as much as it used to, but Chinese economy on the other hand exports more than any other country on Earth, including USA and EU.

Sure, trade war severely hurts the Chinese, but it hurts us more than them. Why? Because we don't export as much to as many countries as China does.. We can't replace everything we import from China by going to Europe or South America or India or Africa. We consumers would have to suck up the tariffs in the end..

The ultimate goal of a trade war is to severely curb how much we import from China, but if we don't have alternate partner to trade similar goods with, we consumers would have no choice but to suck up the tariffs. So it actually hurts us more than China..

China has the upper hand when it comes to trade, and they know it.. They also can get away with paying workers pennies for a hour of work and taking advantage of their citizens by controlling them so labor/human expenses are already very cheap in China.. Chinese also are involved in fraud and piggybacking on US technology/ideas by just ripping us off/back-engineering our electronics. We cannot overcome those advantages the Chinese have

Last edited by bladefd : 04-10-2018 at 06:10 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: