Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Question Aside from Michael Jordan what other NBA players got cut from their High school team?

Here are ones that I know and I just found out.

Clyde Drexler - Sophomore in High School
    Tyrus Thomas - 1st 2 years in High School
    Charles Barkley - Was cut from Varisty team (not really being cut though)

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Default Re: Aside from Michael Jordan what other NBA players got cut from their High school team?

Quote Originally Posted by iTruWarrior

what happened to ty and barkley?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Aside from Michael Jordan what other NBA players got cut from their High school team?

Quote Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
    what happened to ty and barkley?
    They don't have much info on Tyrus, they just say he was cut and didn't get enough hype in his 1st years in high school and he started getting it later in his career.

As for Barkley, he was 5'10 and 220 pounds. He was pretty much shorter than everybody else. He was probably less mobile too. He was a reserve, not really cut.

Local High School Star

I am still wondering what other current or past NBA player got cut from their High School team.

me

Lebron

Local High School Star

Melo was also cut from the varisty team during his freshmen year.

Dennis Johnson

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Dennis Johnson
    Good find Lebron23, I just looked him up. He should be in the HOF fo'sho.

I rule the local playground

Media Lies!!!!!.... Michael Jordan never got cut!....he tried out for Varsity his sophmore year, but the coach put him on the JV squad instead!....his Junior and senior year he played Varsity

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Wolf
    Media Lies!!!!!.... Michael Jordan never got cut!....he tried out for Varsity his sophmore year, but the coach put him on the JV squad instead!....his Junior and senior year he played Varsity
    That's still getting cut....It may not be as bad as it seems. But it was bad for him at that time especially since he wanted to accomplish goals and play basketball.

Magic Johnson

Default Re: Aside from Michael Jordan what other NBA players got cut from their High school t

Quote Originally Posted by iTruWarrior

Wasn't Barkley like 5'9 entering his junior year of high school and then grew to be 6'4 his senior year or something

Local High School Star

Default Re: Aside from Michael Jordan what other NBA players got cut from their High school t

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Wasn't Barkley like 5'9 entering his junior year of high school and then grew to be 6'4 his senior year or something
    See post #3.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I'm not sure if he was cut from his high school's varsity team or not but Chris Paul did NOT play varsity until his junior year. Crazy to think a guy that is inarguably top 3 at his position only played varsity for two years.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I'm not sure if he was cut from his high school's varsity team or not but Chris Paul did NOT play varsity until his junior year. Crazy to think a guy that is inarguably top 3 at his position only played varsity for two years.
    I think it's because he didn't have that much of an interest in basketball until then. And It's not that crazy, I'm not sure if he played in AAU though.