Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Was Bird the worst defender to ever be on the All NBA Defensive team?

Default Re: Was Bird the worst defender to ever be on the All NBA Defensive team?

inb4 kobe

Default Re: Was Bird the worst defender to ever be on the All NBA Defensive team?

No. Chris Paul has 3 all defensive first teams. Let that sink in.

Also, Clifford Robinson made teams, and I always thought he was a particularly lousy defender than got exposed on backdoor cuts all day. Reminds me of Melo and Durant in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    No. Chris Paul has 3 all defensive first teams. Let that sink in.
    CP3 is quick with his footwork against other PGs and is a lane thief and a picket pocket.

cp3 is a very good defender. hes obviously a little small, but its not like teams go at him in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    CP3 is quick with his footwork against other PGs and is a lane thief and a picket pocket.
    Hes great at lanes and pick pocket, but he gives up the lane far too easy, and bigger guards do back him down. I just don't think he impacts the game enough on that side of the court to ever merit a selection. You have guards like Wade, Bradley, etc who can defend 1-3, and put up decent stats to boot.

I just don't see how a guard like Paul could ever merit a selection over Wade.

Kobe being in All NBA defensive teams since 09' is a joke

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

As AI said years ago Larry Hughes made all D just by gambling in passing lanes the same was Iverson himself got hated on for by some.

Bird was a very good help defender, definitely not the worst player to be named All-D.

The worst selections are generally star players who get it (politics) or once-great defenders who have long since declined.

wade's effort is extremely inconsistent

wade at his best might be the best defensive guard in the league, but he doesnt bring it as consistently as cp3, imo.

there arent really any pgs who can take advantage of cp3's size disadvantage, except westbrook at times

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    As AI said years ago Larry Hughes made all D just by gambling in passing lanes the same was Iverson himself got hated on for by some.
    do you think that could happen today? a poor defender who just gambles, and trick coaches into thinking hes a good defender?

aside from some guys getting onto the defensive teams based on reputation, i think they are pretty good.
    Last edited by chips93; 10-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    wade's effort is extremely inconsistent

wade at his best might be the best defensive guard in the league, but he doesnt bring it as consistently as cp3, imo.

there arent really any pgs who can take advantage of cp3's size disadvantage, except westbrook at times

do you think that could happen today? a poor defender who just gambles, and trick coaches into thinking hes a good defender?

aside from some guys getting onto the defensive teams based on reputation, i think they are pretty good.
    Bigger guards do go at him. Deron always plays him well. And I still remember Billups taking it to him in the playoffs where NO got done by 40 something points.

Kobe got a couple more based on reputation alone...

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

idea of ANY of those 1980s beast small forwards making all defense is a joke

great..perhaps greatest era for small forward play (offensively)..but NONE of those guys played defense.....except for moncrief

idea that bird was a good help defender....is a joke

people see a highlight reel of Bird making key steals in the playoffs and accept that he was a good help defender

those 1980s threes abused each other and all played matador defense..including and especially Larry Bird

NBA Superstar

LeBron and Bird are the first two that come to mind

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    idea of ANY of those 1980s beast small forwards making all defense is a joke

great..perhaps greatest era for small forward play (offensively)..but NONE of those guys played defense.....except for moncrief

idea that bird was a good help defender....is a joke

people see a highlight reel of Bird making key steals in the playoffs and accept that he was a good help defender

those 1980s threes abused each other and all played matador defense..including and especially Larry Bird
    Sounds eerily similar to another player I know...