Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
lilmarcgasol
Banned

Default Only 3 Teams Can Realistically Defeat the Lakers in the Playoffs

Those 3 teams are The Celtics, the Spurs, and the Utah Jazz. Apart from those 3 teams, no other team in the NBA has a chance really. Orlando? They will never get to the finals. The Cavs? Our two games against them have been cakewalks, we whipped em at home, and know how to shut down Lebron James. The Blazers? Blazers fans like to pretend it would be a series, but the truth is they are about 2 years away from making playoff noise.

The Jazz and Spurs are well coached, disciplined, and have incredible clutch players and play great defense. The Celtics, well they beat the Lakers last year and have the psychological advantage as well as personal to match up, and experience defeating the Lakers.

Does anyone disagree with this?
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

Default Re: Only 3 Teams Can Realistically Defeat the Lakers in the Playoffs

Yes, I do.

The Cavs have the best best record and the the best player in the NBA.

It's hard not to put them on the list, so what if LA beat them, the cavs will just be more ready come playoff time.

No championship for LA.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
noob cake
College star

When was the last time that the Jazz won a road game against a team over 0.500 this season?

Wait wait wait, could that be NEVER? There is so much home cooking at Utah. There is no way a team that is 0.400 on the road can become 0.800 at home.

The Jizz are always pretenders.
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
DuMa
Canned

keep jinxing them. any playoff team can beat any other playoff team. golden state proved that against the mavericks
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
All Net

Cavs have a better chance than Utah do.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
NOHCP3
Pelican Brief

Overlooking the Cavs on that list is pretty dangerous. Try to shut down Lebron for seven games. He'll eventually break loose on that Lakers D. Celtics can do it. Idk bout the Jazz. The Spurs cant beat the Lakers unless everyone is healthy.
NOHCP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
lilmarcgasol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
Yes, I do.

The Cavs have the best best record and the the best player in the NBA.

It's hard not to put them on the list, so what if LA beat them, the cavs will just be more ready come playoff time.

No championship for LA.
Both Lakers vs Cavs games have been easy for the Lakers-and it wasn't Lebron just happening to have bad games, the Lakers swarm defense shut him down completely, just like the Spurs, and Rockets playing the exact same defense, shut James down. With Lebron shut down, you can't expect the rest of that Cavs roster to beat the Lakers. It is a farcical claim.

If the bobcats were in the finals vs Lakers I'd pick them 100% to beat the lakers but they might not even make the playoffs. Bobcats are the only team I would back over the Lakers in the finals.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
ZeN
Stormblessed

You have to give respect to the Cavs.. they have earned it.. they should take the place of The Jazz in your list

Celtics, Cavs, and Spurs in the west are the only teams that I would be dissapointed, but not angry... if the Lakers lose to..

Any other team will have me pissed off... even the jazz...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year

Almost everyone also said there was no way the Celtics could beat the Lakers in the Finals last season, even 7 out of 8 ESPN "experts." How did that turn out?

But I think you are right, I can't really see anyone but a healthy San Antonio, healthy Boston and maybe Cleveland. Boston's biggest hurdle will be playing on the road at Cleveland, I think if the C's can win that series, then they can beat anyone in a series. I hope San Antonio beats LA and Boston beats Cleveland.

SA/Boston would be the best Finals matchup, IMO. Finally it'd be KG/Duncan in the playoffs, then add in that they are the two best TEAMS and the rondo/parker, allen and pierce/ginobili matchups and that would be great!
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Indian guy
NBA sixth man of the year

I see only 1 - a fully healthy Celtics team. @ SA and Utah beating them. I'll never understand why SA continues to get so much respect when their entire history this decade against LA has been of a team that's mentally fragile and always CHOKES. Always. Not only is LA flat out better than them, but they have a huge mental edge too. SA would be lucky to fare any better than last season. And let's not even get into Utah. They're incapable of beating anyone that doesn't suck outside of their building. Get this stat: Utah has only 1 victory over a .500+ team on the road this season. And that was way back in November against Philadelphia. This team is a joke.

Barring some major underachieving the WC playoffs should be a cakewalk for LA. I don't see any great teams in that conference besides themselves.

Last edited by Indian guy : 03-26-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Indian guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

The year Cleve got swept by the Spurs in the finals they beat them both times in the regular season. I wouldn't discount the cavs.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
Both Lakers vs Cavs games have been easy for the Lakers-and it wasn't Lebron just happening to have bad games, the Lakers swarm defense shut him down completely, just like the Spurs, and Rockets playing the exact same defense, shut James down. With Lebron shut down, you can't expect the rest of that Cavs roster to beat the Lakers. It is a farcical claim.

If the bobcats were in the finals vs Lakers I'd pick them 100% to beat the lakers but they might not even make the playoffs. Bobcats are the only team I would back over the Lakers in the finals.

You can't just shutdown leBron, he will excel this year.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
lilmarcgasol
Banned

I dont get why so many people think the Cavs can beat the Lakers, yes they are doing well, and Lebron is great, but the Lakers simply have his number defensively. The last game played between the two teams, on Cleveland's home turf, Kobe and Pau did not play incredibly well, Mo Williams and Big Z both played great, and the Lakers still won comfortably. The Cavs simply have no answer to Lamar Odom, Varejao and Wallace are too slow (wallace might not even be healthy) and everyone else on that team is too small.

The Cavs are a great team with great comraderie, they are strong all around-their weak link is their coach however. Offensively, they only run 3 plays. Great coaches around the league have figured this out. When teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, come up with a defense that shuts down Lebron, Mike Brown has no plan B for his team, and without a plan B, and if your Plan A is consistently shut down you have no hope.

I'm not belittling the Cavs, I just don't think they have a chance against the Lakers when the Lakers have clearly shut them down in both games this season.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
lilmarcgasol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
You can't just shutdown leBron, he will excel this year.
Rockets can, Spurs can, Celtics can, Lakers can, how come he will suddenly excell, added to the fact that Lebron has a history of chokejobs in big series? (Finals, Celtics series last year)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
niko
I Run NY.

Cavs bashing thread disquised as discussion. Tired. (Don't tell me it's not. You can't leave out the best record team in the league and include Utah, who the lakers smoke all the time. It's retarded.)
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: