Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official Offseason Thread

Since everyone else is doing it for their teams, I'll go ahead and do one too. I know there's at least 2 other Bucs fans here, which is probably more than Browns and Seahawks fans here, and they already have their own threads. I don't think I have to say that last season was a disappointment, BUT, what else should you expect when you cut ALL of your veterans and leaders, and you hire an inexperienced coach? Morris never held a higher position in his career than DB coach last year.

Last year, I hated our picking of Freeman in the first round. But he looked surprisingly good last season. He has the best pocket awareness I've EVER seen from a rookie and he looks like a natural born leader. He has ALL the tools needed to succeed in the NFL, but he needs to master the mental part of it and not locking onto one target. If we can add a few playmakers to our offense, he'll be good to go.

We have the 3rd overall pick in the draft, which sucks b/c we really need Suh, but he'll most definitely be gone with the 1st or 2nd pick. We also have two 2nd round picks and we stockpiled picks pretty well over the last couple seasons, which is great considering this is one of the deepest drafts in recent memory.

Team's Biggest Needs

Our biggest needs as of now are DL, WR, S, OL, and maybe with a later pick, RB.

Our biggest needs depend on what we do with 3 of our most important players and if we re-sign (or franchise tage 1) them; MLB Barrett Ruud, OL Donald Penn and WR Antonio Bryant.

If we lose Ruud, we must draft a LB early (trade down a few spots and take Rolando McClain?)...if we lose Penn, we must draft Okung....if we lose Antonio, I'd like to trade down and take Dez Bryant, if Suh and McCoy are gone.

I'm really nervous this offseason, b/c this offseason will make or break this franchise for the next 5-6 years. Despite this year's 3-win season, we ARE talented and one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

On offense we have players like Kellen Winslow, Caddy Williams, Sammie Stroughter, Josh Freeman, Josh Johnson (backup QB who is very underrated), Antonio Bryant (FA), Maurice Stovall, Earnest Graham, Clifton Smith, Derrick Ward (who I hope we get rid of) and a young and talented OL. I would love to add a WR like Jason Avant to the mix via FA.

We are only a few pieces away from being a playoff contender again. With our schedule next season, a solid draft, and a few key additions via FA, we will be in the playoff hunt next season. We have home games against Det, Cle, StL and Sea. And those are just the home games. Our only tough games (on paper) is Cincy, Balt, Pitt, and our division games.

Two things I'd really like seen done is to fire our OC, Olson, he's awful, and cut WR Michael Clayton. Clayton is the most overpaid WR and is just pathetic.

I know there's a few other Bucs here, so add your thoughts and hopes to the thread....and any news that comes out of One Buc Place during the offseason.

OFFSEASON ACQUISITIONS/LOSSES:

2010 NFL DRAFT PICKS:
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official Offseason Thread

feel sorry for this team, they have what, 3 reliable players for the future on their team?

Talib, Ruud, Jackson, and a few good olineman right?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Huey Freeman
PAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
feel sorry for this team, they have what, 3 reliable players for the future on their team?

Talib, Ruud, Jackson, and a few good olineman right?
They needed to rebuild pretty badly. It's much better to try and rebuild right now rather than to let older guys get even older.

Last edited by Huey Freeman : 01-20-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Huey Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Mex-Laker
Serious playground baller

Yeah, not much knowledge on the Bucs around the league, but I´m telling you Freeman is gonna be good, he just needs a #1 WR, hopefully, Marshall, Boldin.. someone who can draw coverage so Winslow and Stroughter can have some space...

Anyways about the coaching staff.. I really wanted Cowher.. this team is very young and needs to be disciplined, tough, both mentally and physically.. but the owners are cheap and want to follow the young coach´s steps.. so here we go.. hopefully he has learned a bit with 1 year under the belt...

And yeah.. the horrid DL we have... hopefully some miracle happens in the draft and Suh comes to the Bucs..

Anyways here´s for a great, boring and long off season for my Tampa Bay Bucs.

Mex-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
MK2V1GP

I would definitely give up one of our 2nd rounders and maybe a 2nd rounder next year for Brandon Marshall. Could you imagine a receiving unit consisting of Marshall (2nd best WR in the league behind A. Johnson), Winslow, Sammie and either Antonio Bryant or a solid rookie? That would be a great group of guys for Freeman to grow with.

And I would LOVE to get a guy like Cowher, but the Glazers aren't willing to spend money on 3 head coaches this season (we're still paying Gruden), and Cowher runs a 3-4 defense, which we've never run. I do find it coincidental that Cowher announced he wasn't coming back this year the day after the Bucs made an announcement that Raheem was returning. I think Cowher would've accepted the Bucs offer if they fired Raheem. Oh well...
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
Thanks for showing your knowledge of the NFL . You forgot about KELLEN WINSLOW, Antonio Bryant (if we retain him), Sammie Stroughter, Clifton Smith (2nd best return man in the NFL), a young promising QB in Freeman, Davin Joseph, Jeff Faine, Arron Sears, Donald Penn, Geno Hayes (VERY impressive for his first year as starting, he will be a stud), etc.

Besides the Oline I mentioned, you named a TE and a solid WR

Clifton Smith wtf? are you serious? Who is he better than?

Reggie Bush
Percy Harvin
Desean Jackson
Josh Cribbs

4 inarguably better
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

The Bucs are a team I could see being 10-6 next year. They aren't far away.
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

If they aren't far away who is? The Rams I guess.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

The Bills.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I've never seen a fan so high on such a terrible QB. I've followed him since college. He has the size and some tools, but he seems to be weak mentally, not a good leader, he's afraid of challenges (why he chose KSU), loves throwing interceptions, and seems destined to be a bust. If he can turn it around, I don't think he can do it quickly.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 01-20-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
I've never seen a fan so high on such a terrible QB. I've followed him since college. He has the size and some tools, but he seems to be weak mentally, not a good leader, he's afraid of challenges (why he chose KSU), loves throwing interceptions, and seems destined to be a bust. If he can turn it around, I don't think he can do it quickly.
How is choosing to play football in the Big 12 with lesser quality teammates than the major B12 players being afraid of a challenge? It isn't like he went to play in the Ivy League.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

The run game needs a fix. Neither Cadillac nor Ward could get 4 yards a carry last year, and Caddy is a restricted free agent. Caddy will probably be brought back because he knows he can't start anywhere else (no teams are going to bank on him and his injury history with starter money) but do you really want him back? Nothing out there as far as free agents, might have to keep him.

I doubt they go after somebody like B Marshall. Don't they have to give up a 1st and a 3rd or something like that? Can't see a team who's rebuilding giving up draft picks (crucial to their rebuilding) to get a stud receiver who needs his diapers changed once a month. They'd be better to go after a guy like Steve Breaston IMO.

Tied for 26th in the league in sacking the opposing QB. Need a pass rusher in there. Adewale Ogunleye isn't young, but could help that problem in the short term.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
MK2V1GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18

He went 3-5 on a team that was 3-11 last season. I'm not "high" on him, I just think he's better than I thought he was goin to be, and I think he CAN be the franchise's QB for the present and future as long as he works on a couple things. But LOL at whatever moron in the preseason who said JaMarcus Russell>>>>Josh Freeman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Besides the Oline I mentioned, you named a TE and a solid WR

Clifton Smith wtf? are you serious? Who is he better than?

Reggie Bush
Percy Harvin
Desean Jackson
Josh Cribbs

4 inarguably better

Dude....I said SECOND best, behind Cribbs...and he IS. Don't let Reggie Bush's name fool you. For two years in a row, CLIFTON SMITH has led the NFL in kick return yards. He may not be as good a PR as Jackson, Harvin and Bush, but he's the best KR other than Cribbs, and he's also a top PR too. Smith made the Pro Bowl as an undrafted free agent and he didn't even play the whole season....He wouldve been a Pro Bowler again had he not gotten injured.

I don't know what your deal is man. Don't be a homer. I love Harvin. I've been pullin for the Vikings all postseason from the NFC. But don't be a hater either. Clifton Smith is easily one of the top return men and the 2nd best KR in the league. no doubt.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

A scrub with good blockers on special teams I guess.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
How is choosing to play football in the Big 12 with lesser quality teammates than the major B12 players being afraid of a challenge? It isn't like he went to play in the Ivy League.

He chose KSU over other schools because he wasn't going to have any competition to start there. Not always a bad thing, but there was other talk, as well.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: