Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

All the same perspective (no off angles, only direct shots), all scaled using the basketball diameter of 9.4 inches for scaling reference:

Just Wilt and Dwight

Wilt and unibrow

Wilt and MJ

Wilt and Bron

Super freaks;

Wilt and Shaq dunking on the same rim (was lucky to find 2 pics of the same perspective! - scaled using the rim diameter)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/NBAscale.jpg
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-07-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

i don't think these are scaled. wilt's head isn't THAT much bigger than everybody else's

also, it's funny that anthony davis can't easily palm a basketball

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    i don't think these are scaled. wilt's head isn't THAT much bigger than everybody else's

also, it's funny that anthony davis can't easily palm a basketball
    When your big, your head is also big. All I did was match up the basketball diameters, thats how the scaling turned out, looks pretty accurate to me especially considering how well their wingspans appear to be in line with what was measured for them. Also, Dwight and Davis have small heads.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    When your big, your head is also big. All I did was match up the basketball diameters, thats how the scaling turned out, looks pretty accurate to me especially considering how well their wingspans appear to be in line with what was measured for them. Also, Dwight and Davis have small heads.

Well that looks like a contradiction if I've ever seen one

Is that Nerlens Noel!?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Is that Nerlens Noel!?
    I think its rasheed wallace.

Well that looks like a contradiction if I've ever seen one
    lol it's true though, Davis and Dwight are like exceptions to the rule and they aren't in the class of size as true 7 footers anyways - you look at Wilt interviews and such and his head looks extremely big compared to the people hes around, same with Shaq or Artis Gilmore - remember, those are examples of true 7 footers who were filled out and to me their heads look proportionate to their bodies in turn they look like they have large heads when standing next to smaller people. Guys like Davis and Dwight aren't even 7 footers, and I've noticed they have small looking heads relative to their body anyways

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

nice can u do some more

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

I don't know that much about Wilt, but Cavsftw, was Wilt's wingspan measured from when he was a rookie? If so can it be possible his wingspan was 7'10+ or even 8' when his shoulders filled out?

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    I don't know that much about Wilt, but Cavsftw, was Wilt's wingspan measured from when he was a rookie? If so can it be possible his wingspan was 7'10+ or even 8' when his shoulders filled out?
    He was like 27 years old when it was measured so that's his definitive wingspan - he definitely filled out more in bulk than seen in the pics though. He's something under 258lbs (his rookie weight) in those pics because that's the season before his NBA debut. He weighed up to 320lbs in the NBA (though he mostly played at 290 or under prior to being with the Lakers) and in the 1980's bulked up to 327 when working out with Arnie.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Now this is WAYYYYY more informative...GREAT THREAD and thanks!

Love the fact it shows how dominant Wilt was also due to his hands, easily able to grapefruit the ball on offense and defense.

@ the Nerlens Noel comment, lol it Sheed did look like him.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

He was like 27 years old when it was measured so that's his definitive wingspan - he definitely filled out more in bulk than seen in the pics though. He's something under 258lbs (his rookie weight) in those pics because that's the season before his NBA debut. He weighed up to 320lbs in the NBA (though he mostly played at 290 or under prior to being with the Lakers) and in the 1980's bulked up to 327 when working out with Arnie.
    Bigger deltoids won't give you a bigger wingspan if that's what you are talking about

Banned

****ing lol @ theShaq and Wilt dunking pic. You can see the rimg in Shaqs hand below the rim in the actual pic to try and fool people. Also Shaq is on the opposite side of the rim while Wilt is closer. Good effort though to try and hype Wilt up. Not to mention Shaq is hanging from it while Wilt is exerting himself upwards with his arms. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    Bigger deltoids won't give you a bigger wingspan if that's what you are talking about
    All I noted was that he filled out more in weight, I did not connect it or try to make any implication whatsoever that filling out would giving him a potentially larger wingspan, in fact I quite clearly said 7-8 was his definitive wingspan due to having it measured at the age of ~27.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

All I noted was that he filled out more in weight, I did not connect it or try to make any implication whatsoever that filling out would giving him a potentially larger wingspan, in fact I quite clearly said 7-8 was his definitive wingspan due to having it measured at the age of ~27.
    Yeah I know, I can't believe the guy you quoted actually said it and you didn't correct him.