Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default have any of you heard of the material known as "Graphene"?

Graphene: Strongest & thinnest material known to exist, may be the next wonder material

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

No, fans of "The Graduate," the word isn't "plastics."

It's "graphene."

Graphene is the strongest, thinnest material known to exist. A form of carbon, it can conduct electricity and heat better than anything else. And get ready for this: It is not only the hardest material in the world, but also one of the most pliable.

Only a single atom thick, it has been called the wonder material.

Graphene could change the electronics industry, ushering in flexible devices, supercharged quantum computers, electronic clothing and computers that can interface with the cells in your body.

While the material was discovered a decade ago, it started to gain attention in 2010 when two physicists at the University of Manchester were awarded the Nobel Prize for their experiments with it. More recently, researchers have zeroed in on how to commercially produce graphene.

The American Chemical Society said in 2012 that graphene was discovered to be 200 times stronger than steel and so thin that a single ounce of it could cover 28 football fields. Chinese scientists have created a graphene aerogel, an ultralight material derived from a gel, that is one-seventh the weight of air. A cubic inch of the material could balance on one blade of grass.

"Graphene is one of the few materials in the world that is transparent, conductive and flexible - all at the same time," said Dr. Aravind Vijayaraghavan, a lecturer in nanomaterials at the University of Manchester. "All of these properties together are extremely rare to find in one material."

So what do you do with graphene? Physicists and researchers say that we will soon be able to make electronics that are thinner, faster and cheaper than anything based on silicon, with the option of making them clear and flexible. Long-lasting batteries that can be submerged in water are another possibility.

In 2011, researchers at Northwestern University built a battery that incorporated graphene and silicon, which the university said could lead to a cellphone that "stayed charged for more than a week and recharged in just 15 minutes." In 2012, the American Chemical Society said that advancements in graphene were leading to touch-screen electronics that "could make cellphones as thin as a piece of paper and foldable enough to slip into a pocket."

Vijayaraghavan is building an array of sensors out of graphene - including gas sensors, biosensors and light sensors - that are far smaller than what has come before.

And last week, researchers at the Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology, working with Sungkyunkwan University in South Korea, said that Samsung had discovered how to create high-quality graphene on silicon wafers, which could be used for the production of graphene transistors. Samsung said in a statement that these advancements meant it could start making "flexible displays, wearables and other next-generation electronic devices."

Sebastian Anthony, a reporter at Extreme Tech, said that Samsung's breakthrough could end up being the "holy grail of commercial graphene production."
    Trying to figure out the best place to invest money in this material...looks like Samsung is leading the way on designing with it, but not sure yet who is selling the material in bulk.

it's going to change the world

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: have any of you heard of the material known as "Graphene"?

how Samsung is messing with it...but graphene has an infinite amount of uses other than just making cooler phones

yea ive read about this a while ago. there is a method that you can use to make your own. its a thin, or single layer of carbon atoms in a specific structure.

NBA Legend

The material has been mentioned on various astronomy programs as having the potential to revolutionize our interaction with the solar system.

One of the theorized uses was to connect a long strand of it to orbiting space stations and literally create elevators that can take people up and down with a fraction of the fuel costs and other obstacles of current rocket technology.

Should be interesting.

It's amazing to think that there are still people in parts of the world basically living as tribal bushmen while all these technological advances march forward.

Legitimately makes you wonder if the species isn't destined for another genetic split yet again at some point. Seems far fetched now, but don't underestimate the future.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    The material has been mentioned on various astronomy programs as having the potential to revolutionize our interaction with the solar system.

One of the theorized uses was to connect a long strand of it to orbiting space stations and literally create elevators that can take people up and down with a fraction of the fuel costs and other obstacles of current rocket technology.

Should be interesting.

It's amazing to think that there are still people in parts of the world basically living as tribal bushmen while all these advances march forward.

Legitimately makes you wonder if the species isn't destined for another genetic split yet again at some point. Seems far fetched now, but don't underestimate the future.
    And yet, I wouldnt call them as the "inferior ones" so far.

ive heard about graphene for a few years now. alot of progress has been made on it and it's on the verge of going mainstream.

i recently read a report where some scientists have managed to generate electricity by running salt water over graphene.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...s-electricity/

graphene has also been shown to provide great promise in filtering salt water into freshwater.

http://singularityhub.com/2014/03/11...-water-source/
    Last edited by rezznor; 04-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    And yet, I wouldnt call them as the "inferior ones" so far.

Nor am I, just pointing out how incredibly wide the gulf is becoming, considering mere millennia ago virtually everyone on Earth had the same basic lifestyle and capabilities. And now look at the dichotomy. It's wild.

It's amazing to think that there are still people in parts of the world basically living as tribal bushmen while all these technological advances march forward.

Its not genetic differences that cause some people to live as tribal bushmen and others to live in technologically modern society, its cultural, social, and economic differences.

There are tons of young *tribal bushmen* from places like africa that end up getting adopted to wealthy families in in europe and america and go on to become doctors and scientists. Its not like their genetics change when they get transported into a modern society.

It's been out for a few years now. Some badminton racket use it as a gimmick. Hopefully we will see graphene products everywhere in the next few years.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Its not genetic differences that cause some people to live as tribal bushmen and others to live in technologically modern society, its cultural, social, and economic differences.

There are tons of young *tribal bushmen* from places like africa that end up getting adopted to wealthy families in in europe and america and go on to become doctors and scientists. Its not like their genetics change when they get transported into a modern society.

That's not what I was saying.

I was pointing out that our intercourse with technology is becoming so intimate that eventually we COULD become genetically distinct from those who are evolving in isolation elsewhere. It may not be long before "designer genetics" become mainstream and parents can choose their child's traits.

The speed of evolution in the modern world is happening MUCH quicker than in remote villages. People in remote villages in Zimbabwe basically have barely changed in the last 1,000 years, whereas life in the developed world is already crazy different than it was 50 years ago.

Maybe in 200 years there won't even be small villages anymore. I'm just saying that if you were to isolate humans in remote regions and then compare them in the future with modern humans who knows how different they might be. Everything in the modern world is becoming virtual, microtized, designed by technology.... and at some point that could include people.

Humans could very well eventually... become digital.

That's not what I was saying.

I was pointing out that our intercourse with technology is becoming so intimate that eventually we COULD become genetically distinct from those who are evolving in isolation elsewhere. It may not be long before "designer genetics" become mainstream and parents can choose their child's traits.

The speed of evolution in the modern world is happening MUCH quicker than in remote villages. People in remote villages in Zimbabwe basically have barely changed in the last 1,000 years, whereas life in the developed world is already crazy different than it was 50 years ago.

Maybe in 200 years there won't even be small villages anymore. I'm just saying that if you were to isolate humans in remote regions and then compare them in the future with modern humans who knows how different they might be. Everything in the modern world is becoming virtual, microtized, designed by technology.... and at some point that could include people.

Humans could very well eventually... become digital.
    it is? source?

i would think that allele frequency is actually changing faster in remote rural areas where birth rates are higher and selection forces are not dulled by medicine and technology. you do know how evolution works right?

NBA Legend

it is? source?

i would think that allele frequency is actually changing faster in remote rural areas where birth rates are higher and selection forces are not dulled by medicine and technology. you do know how evolution works right?

Firstly, I meant social/technological evolution. Secondly, even that can have every bit the same impact on evolution as the natural environment.

For instance people in the west are taller due to technological advances in agriculture.

Think about the fact that in metropolitan areas, there is no natural environment to brave and conquer. Thus, the kind of manly aggressiveness that is accepted and required in prairie society becomes an impediment, because naturally combative men are more likely to commit crimes, end up in jail, and not get a chance to copulate. This slowly creates a society of timid, emotionally frail, bleeding heart beta dweebs like yourself. See how that works?

The natural environment is not the only evolutionary catalyst. If only you'd open your mind as wide as you open your vag1na, you'd be able to understand bigger picture concepts.

"technological evolution" is faster in the "modern world" REALLY? HOW INSIGHTFUL.

enough with the pseudo intellectual nonsense starface, you clearly have no fvcking clue what you are talking about.

your posts are a lot stronger when you are just doing your typical asshole troll thing.
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 04-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.

NBA Legend

"technological evolution" is faster in the "modern world" REALLY? HOW INSIGHTFUL.

enough with the pseudo intellectual nonsense starface, you clearly have no fvcking clue what you are talking about.

your posts are a lot stronger when you are just doing your typical asshole troll thing.

You are the one that jumped up to contend the fact that evolution happens more quickly in the modern world. Now that you've been proven to have minimal reading comprehension and/or weak knowledge of social sciences, you're like "oh, yeah, well duhhh like everybody knows taht."

Don't blame me because you learn with your heart, i.e. "We're all equal, everything the dominant majority group does is wrong, whatever the underdog does is right, let's all be PC, sssshhhhh don't say anything to hurt any feelings, let's be delusional about the competitive aspect of nature, ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod don't hurt any feeeelinggsssss".

While I learn with my head and just call it as it is. You're a product of evolved dandiness. For your own safety, you want to outlaw or bring down any group "above" you in success or in numbers (i.e. the rich, or a christian majority, etc) and make sure you are part of the dominant group (i.e. democrats, atheists, whatever your personal beliefs are). You guise it as "compassion" as if you would ever give 39% of YOUR earnings to help the less fortunate. Yeah, right. Your strawman words like "equality, 'fair share', civil liberties, tolerance" are just indirect methods of taking down people above you through supposedly "noble" means, but really you just want to subjugate the world around you to YOUR whims and beliefs, instead of a different group's. They are not some noble effort to help your fellow man.

You're a delusional little nancy boy bitch. REAL TAWK. In 100 years, I'd probably be thrown into prison just for making fun of you on the internet. One less bully out on the loose to scare your quivering little vaginer, right?
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 04-15-2014 at 02:45 PM.

NBA Legend

With that said, let's now turn this thread back over to the topic of Graphene.