Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
brwnman

Default Hi Mets Fans!

How do you do? Um. The jays here would like David Wright and/or Jose Reyes. Heard you guys need pitching.

We'll offer our top 2 pitching prospects (take you pick) and a mid level prospect. The pitching prospect could be in the minors or on the major league roster (go ahead, take a youngster or two).

Untradeables (in this package at least)? Halladay, Marcum, Hill, Snider, Lind. Other than that? Do what you gotta do.

Realistically though, I can see Mets and Jays pulling off a trade in the offseason with the Jays ending up with Reyes (Wright might be a little bit of a reach even though he has had somewhat of a disappointing campaign with his power numbers).

So yea, give us a call. (416) 341-JAYS...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Hi Mets Fans!

Our best guys are untradable for Reyes and Wright eh? moron
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I hate eh. Hate it.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
?

Everybody that read what you wrote has the same exact reaction? Like wtf are you talking about?

I mean I already sonned you in another thread. You had to duck for cover and then when the dust settled, you just walked away cause you had no reply for it. I don't want your trolliness to ruin another thread, so walk away before it gets ugly and you have to duck for cover once again...
Old 08-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star

The Mets need offense just as much as they need pitching. A trade with The Blue Jays makes no sense when you factor in how much money The Mets have coming off the books this year. They will be able to go after all the pitching they can stand. Giving up the faces of the franchise for some pitching prospects would be silly. Every season it seems as if the Jays fans come on ISH with proposals for Wright and/or Reyes. Last year they were calling everyone idiots for saying The Mets would not deal for BJ Ryan. Reyes' and Wright are The Mets' present and future. They will not be moved for prospects.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
The Mets need offense just as much as they need pitching. A trade with The Blue Jays makes no sense when you factor in how much money The Mets have coming off the books this year. They will be able to go after all the pitching they can stand. Giving up the faces of the franchise for some pitching prospects would be silly. Every season it seems as if the Jays fans come on ISH with proposals for Wright and/or Reyes. Last year they were calling everyone idiots for saying The Mets would not deal for BJ Ryan. Reyes' and Wright are The Mets' present and future. They will not be moved for prospects.

Damn. We need a sucker deal. I really doubt Wright gets moved, but Reyes? It's possible. And it's usually me who wants those deal from the Mets. They have things that the Jays need.

But hypothetically speaking, if the Mets were looking to move Reyes, the Jays would become a very good trading partner. And by prospects, I don't mean players that are years and years away. But players that are young and contribute right away.

Think about it this way, Reyes for Romero (who is making a case for AL ROY), Cecil (He was/is the Jays pitching prospect), and another mid level hitter from the minors? Mets wouldn't at least consider that trade? They would have a number 3 and a number 5 starter slotted in for years to come. They'd be cheap and controllable for the next 5 or 6 years easily. They could go out and get a SS from the market like a Scutaro. This would mean a swap of Reyes for Scutaro, Romero, Cecil and a mid level prospect; that's pretty good value for Reyes (who is trying to come back from a hamstring injury which has had many setbacks) and for a speedy guy, he needs his legs.

As for Wright, I don't see him going anywhere, but it'd be cool to get him. He would solve our problems at 3rd, but the Jays could just go out and sign a Chone Figgins or trade for another 3rd baseman, they've got the resources to do so...
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
intrinsic
Local High School Star

-I'm fairly certain the Mets haven't forgotten Reyes played 150+ games each of the four seasons prior to 2009

-Renteria and Furcal signed for money comparable to Reyes current contract. I'd rather be in the FA market for middle-backend starters than a SS where 32+ yr old players coming off injuries/disappointing seasons are commanding 3 years.

-Elite young SS/3b have greater value than a handful of pitching prospects. Unless the BJays have a Felix Hernandez type pitcher I don't know about, Minaya couldn't possibly be interested.

-Have you looked at the Mets minor league system at all? They have no replacement for either player. Last year's first rounder Reese Havens has struggled defensively and offensively in high a ball. Behind him, you have a couple of teenagers.

Trading away Reyes or Wright just to fill your rotation creates a much bigger problem than it solves.

Romero, Cecil, and PTBNL isn't pretty good value for Reyes. When you suggest the Mets sign Scutaro via FA, it makes the deal worse.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

that package might get one of them...
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
PistolPete
The Pistol

Reyes is done for good
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
I mean I already sonned you in another thread. You had to duck for cover and then when the dust settled, you just walked away cause you had no reply for it. I don't want your trolliness to ruin another thread, so walk away before it gets ugly and you have to duck for cover once again...

I don't keep tabs on things like this like keyboard warriors such as yourself but perhaps you could provide a link as I don't remember.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

i didnt know the mutts still had fans.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
?

Everybody that read what you wrote has the same exact reaction? Like wtf are you talking about?

Don't egg him on. Please.

I would be Ok with letting Romero go for one of the above. Or Cecil (though I'd prefer Romero...Cecil's 3 years younger, and has a higher ceiling, IMO). But I wouldn't give up both though.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: