Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Default Re: What is/was your college major?

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Wait, so you majored in English Literature, but you were terrible at it and you don't plan on applying anything you learned? Lol, alright.

Dude, I can't believe you took Neuroscience to fulfill a gen. ed requirement. That shit sounds painful. I took like Nutrition of Food to get that shit done with.
    Yeah, man.

I don't like theorizing and overanalyzing literature. At least, not to the point where I'm able to get an "A" in the class. I think that's too much emphasis on the unnecessary. Subtlety is my choice and this makes me a broody slacker, by choice.

Though, when I say I don't plan on using my degree, I mean it in a creative kind of way. Most people, when they look at an English degree, will ask you what you'll do with one. Well, you really can't do anything except teach and that's the honest truth.

But, honestly, I think people only say that because they are boring, uncreative people in the first place. They see college education as a set of skills you pick up. They don't see the practicality of anything not pertaining to their specific fields, views, or agendas. They didn't come to college to learn or expand their thinking/challenge their views. They want to be coddled and live a safe, comfortable life amidst the wars, genocides, and economical collapses around them.

So when I say I don't plan on using the degree, I mean I don't plan on using it the way it was designed. You look at successful CEO's, actors, lawyers, some doctors even and many of them were English or Philosophy majors. Not what you'd expect but it's what makes them indispensable since they bring different views into the mix.

You can guess I also get a lot of flack from the general science students who criticize English lit. as being too ambiguous and subjective for their tastes. At least science is set in stone, they say. And I tell them that's one of the most arrogant things they can say as a scientist. They're the farthest thing from a scientist. A true scientist is one who challenges the status quo. He strives to make the impossible possible.

But those people will amount to nothing. Why? Because they don't think like an artist. And great artists (whether in sports, business, art, literature, finance) always change their game, experiment with new genres, styles, forms, and challenge themselves. Pretentious or not, they're more true and real than all these mechanical people who repeat the same things everyday without meaning or purpose.

Sorry if I've typed too much, that's just the English degree, not me.

Just keep finding ways to challenge yourself, bro, even if school seems like a joke for the most part.

Oh the Bealsanity

^Great post. Anyway, a few good friends of mine in college pretty much lost their friendship because of an english degree. Well besides the fact one of them was pretty much a bitch, she essentially called the other two out for having useless degrees (both English majors). They got into a huge fight and as a result, the other two are no longer friends with her. They were roommates for 3 years so its kinda unfortunate. O well.

English majors get a lot of crap for their degrees it seems and they don't deserve it.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

EE and ME minor

Dunking on everybody in the park

I just graduated with a degree in chemical engineering. The curriculum sucked but looking back at it, it was definitely worth it. I'll be making a lot more than most of my friends in business/other majors and I'll have an interesting (at least somewhat) job.

I'd say my hardest classes were probably Heat Transfer and Mathematical Modeling, which was a completely retarded class but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Positive
    I just graduated with a degree in chemical engineering. The curriculum sucked but looking back at it, it was definitely worth it. I'll be making a lot more than most of my friends in business/other majors and I'll have an interesting (at least somewhat) job.

I'd say my hardest classes were probably Heat Transfer and Mathematical Modeling, which was a completely retarded class but that's another story.
    I hope you enjoy working as a chem eng, because when I found out I didn't it was already too late. Congrats on your graduation and good luck.

Account and Info Systems. I haven't had any courses that have challenged me. I would say maybe stats was the toughest but it was a 200 level stats course and I got a 95 in the class. Hopefully I have something challenging next semester so I don't feel like such an unambitious blob lol.

Michael Jordan of ISH

biochemistry and a minor in physics. i wouldn't say any classes give me "trouble" although it was a ***** to make an A in organic 1

not even going to use my major, im going to medschool. i should have just stayed bio, but i went biochem and currently im taking upper level chem classes/cal 3
    Last edited by 28renyoy; 05-27-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    I hope you enjoy working as a chem eng, because when I found out I didn't it was already too late. Congrats on your graduation and good luck.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Decent college freshman tian820's Avatar

Microbiology. Intro to Organic Chemistry was toughest, but I still think it was because I took it my second semester in school. Wasn't a fan of Biochemistry either.

Studying Medicine now

wait. how people go back to college and reset their indecisive asses boggles me. i owe banks just for my first wrong choice.

Justice Studies aka Criminal Justice, about to be a senior in university, really enjoying my major... seems like the one academic field I actually like to study and enjoy going to class for.

I rule the local playground m1sterb's Avatar

Electrical Engineering - Power emphasis

Well I have a gist of what you mean by Major/Minor ie Major being the significant component of the degree right? I have no idea on the US collegiate system?

Over here I study History and International Relations. With emphasis on I.R meaning lots of Modules on Foreign Policy . I dabble in International Crime and Global Security(theory). I'd say my hardest module has been a Political concepts from my 1st year and trying to learn Arabic for a low credit extra module

Quote Originally Posted by m1sterb
    Electrical Engineering - Power emphasis
    do you like this field? a buddy of mine last night when hooping told me he majored in ee, has a job at some company that manufactures oscilloscopes. makes decent money, is satisfied,etc.

i'm thinking of computer engineering myself.

Da Mavs

I've bounced around my first two years now.

Started as Pre-med, then kind of had the stop gap major of anthropology, and then international studies.

Got accepted for History into the university...going to minor in Economics and Philosophy and push HARD for law school. Fairly confident I'll get in.