Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: NBA releases flopping defining vid with actual game footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I thought they did a no-call on it because Chandler was in position and LeBron didn't get help to let him know he was there. LeBron's fault, LeBron's flop.

No. The original call was a Flagrant 2, with Tyson ejected from the game. Then they replayed it, and realized how much Lebron flopped, and took it down to a Flagrant 1.

At worst it should have been a regular foul, but in actuality it should have been a no call. Tyson wasn't moving, so you can't call moving pick. Lebron acted like he got shot with a 44 magnum, and the refs bought. That's specifically what the video is saying will be penalized from now on.

Witness

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    No. The original call was a Flagrant 2, with Tyson ejected from the game. Then they replayed it, and realized how much Lebron flopped, and took it down to a Flagrant 1.

At worst it should have been a regular foul, but in actuality it should have been a no call. Tyson wasn't moving, so you can't call moving pick. Lebron acted like he got shot with a 44 magnum, and the refs bought. That's specifically what the video is saying will be penalized from now on.
    What the hell are you talking about that Chandler isn't moving? He's moving forward the whole time. Not only it is a moving pick, it's also a hit. LeBron probably embellished the contact a little but you can bet his neck was hurting.

Very good NBA starter

it makes no sense to fall to the ground like a damn ho

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One
    What the hell are you talking about that Chandler isn't moving? He's moving forward the whole time. Not only it is a moving pick, it's also a hit. LeBron probably embellished the contact a little but you can bet his neck was hurting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zYBgMzX7V4

Watch it again, and watch JVG go off with "what kind of league are we becoming".

That's not a moving pick either. He wasn't shuffling around for position.

College superstar

While I would agree that flopping had gotten carried away, I'm a little worried about how this new policy is going to be enforced. There is already so much subjectivity present in the officiating. It's one thing to clearly see a flop after watching a video replayed from multiple angles. It's another to try and catch it in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar
    Please... Do you really think so?
    Ever actually played sport?
    Boxing out, screens etc you will cop a hit.. That was a small one on Lebron, and he flopped hard after it for the call..
    Why defend it so hard??

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    While I would agree that flopping had gotten carried away, I'm a little worried about how this new policy is going to be enforced. There is already so much subjectivity present in the officiating. It's one thing to clearly see a flop after watching a video replayed from multiple angles. It's another to try and catch it in real time.
    They aren't going to do it in real time. From my understanding it's going to be fines issued after games from replays.
    Last edited by Rockets(T-mac); 10-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    They aren't going to do it in real time. From my understanding it's going to be fines issued after games from replays.
    And hopefully the NBA should publicly release those fines (no reason they shouldn't) and the biggest pundits be ridiculed is social media.

Seriously, that and Stephen Jackson might be the only thing good to come out of twitterverse from the NBA

I love that they are trying to reduce flopping, but there is a lot of gray area in those interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zYBgMzX7V4

Watch it again, and watch JVG go off with "what kind of league are we becoming".

That's not a moving pick either. He wasn't shuffling around for position.
    Since when are JVG's opinions respectable? They're ludicrous most of the time, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Ever actually played sport?
    Boxing out, screens etc you will cop a hit.. That was a small one on Lebron, and he flopped hard after it for the call..
    Why defend it so hard??
    Actually, my whole life.
    I'm just trying to say that this situation shouldn't be put in the video as an example of flopping, as you all suggest. There's no question it was a foul on Chandler and Lebron kind of exaggerated, but as explained in the vid, flopping only occurs when a player is trying to fake contact and trick the officials into calling a foul that didn't happen. But when the foul really takes place and the fouled player exaggerates the contact, it's not considered a flop by the league.
    Last edited by Salazaar; 10-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

Since when are JVG's opinions respectable? They're ludicrous most of the time, actually.

Actually, my whole life.
    I'm just trying to say that this situation shouldn't be put in the video as an example of flopping, as you all suggest. There's no question it was a foul on Chandler and Lebron kind of exaggerated, but as explained in the vid, flopping only occurs when a player is trying to fake contact and trick the officials into calling a foul that didn't happen. But when the foul really takes place and the fouled player exaggerates the contact, it's not considered a flop by the league.

Sorry. it was a terrible flop. He takes the contact from Chandler, and then decides to put on his show. Guys in the post bump each other harder than that constantly.. it's called maintaining/fighting for position. I absolutely hate that people have stooped to "selling contact" rather than just fighting to play good defense. so sad.

More flop gifs MOAR

Quote Originally Posted by lakerspng
    Sorry. it was a terrible flop. He takes the contact from Chandler, and then decides to put on his show. Guys in the post bump each other harder than that constantly.. it's called maintaining/fighting for position. I absolutely hate that people have stooped to "selling contact" rather than just fighting to play good defense. so sad.
    Don't you really see the difference between a situation when 2 players are engaged in a physical battle for position in the post and a situation when a player is running and suddenly takes a hard, UNEXPECTED hit from behind to his neck, with an elbow/forearm/whatever it was and is then grounded by the rest of Chandler's body? Sure, LBJ is strong as phuck but every human is extremely vulnerable to such hits when they don't expect it.

Don't you really see the difference between a situation when 2 players are engaged in a physical battle for position in the post and a situation when a player is running and suddenly takes a hard, UNEXPECTED hit from behind to his neck, with an elbow/forearm/whatever it was and is then grounded by the rest of Chandler's body? Sure, LBJ is strong as phuck but every human is extremely vulnerable to such hits when they don't expect it.
    No bra. Even if there was legit contact, lebron tried to sell more than it really was. If it was a foul or not from tyson is another question, but this is really a lebron flop.

About time really

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I love that they are trying to reduce flopping, but there is a lot of gray area in those interpretations.
    This