Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default A B-Low Rant: Collecting Sports Cards

I used to collect sports cards religiously. Back in the day it was all about Scottie Pippen cards for me (I got like 90 something i think), and from 99-2005 or so I mainly collected Steve Francis cards.

But my rant is about how un-fun it is to be a card collector these days. I was reading Beckett magazine yesterday and it hit me why its so different now. The problem is that before there was basically ONE card per year for each player. Like when you think about Michael Jordan's rookie card, there's pretty much one card that everyone knows. Same with Scottie Pippen, same with everyone from the 80s and before. But now there's like 80 different cards for players each year so getting a rookie card of a player is completely useless unless its some $10,000 autograph jersey gold foil card

Basically people can't afford to be card collectors anymore. Packs used to be like a dollar, and now they're $4-$5 per pack for 8 cards. Here's some other things i noticed from lookin through the magazine:

* The card lists from 1948-1992 covered a total of 4 pages. The card lists from 1992-2006 covered 36 pages. That just shows the overload of cards that there are lately

* The most expensive card in the book? A LeBron rookie valued at $13,000 (not 13 hundred...13 THOUSAND)

*I found 9 Darko Milicic cards that were valued higher than a Jordan rookie card

Any other collectors out there have opinions?
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

Default Re: A B-Low Rant: Collecting Sports Cards

Quote:
*I found 9 Darko Milicic cards that were valued higher than a Jordan rookie card
Thats when its hit an all-time low. I have 8 Michael Jordan card, going from his rookie year, to his 8th season, all collected by my uncle(I found them in his house after he died), and I always wonder why he didn't have any cards from after that season. My dad said it was because they would charge $3 for a single pack, and you'd get like 10 cards. I'm not paying that much for some cardboard with a players picture on it.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

I used to collect cards a lot til about 1990 when someone broke into my house while I was out of town and stole a lot of them... What kills me is that they obviously just grabbed whatever and the only box they left was a bunch of football ones I could care less about. Bastards even stole a Dominique Wilkins autograph I had. I started over on my basketball cards but pretty much quit in like 92 - since then I just buy a pack once in awhile here and there, but not very often.
I looked at those football cards not long ago and there were a bunch of those Yo! MTV Raps cards in there that I had completely forgotten about... kinda tripped me out...
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
YAWN
Very good NBA starter

yeah i still have a bunch of cards. shaq rookie, kobe rookies, garnett rookies, AI rookies. Im thinking since society seems to go in trends that repeat themselves that collecting cards will come back into fashion sometime soon. followed by marbles, pogs, and yo-yos. hah
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Dodonpa
I rule the local playground

Why does the cards still have so much market value?
I haven't read a beckett in years, but I thought because the interest has died down and there is no demand, the price of the cards would've all gone now.

Does it mean anything if you got that $13,000 Lebron card? Could you sell it off to anyone now?

I have a bunch of rookie cards.. AI,KOBE,TMAC
if anyone knows how much these costs now, let me know

-Kobe Topps Finest Rookie Card 96-97 (#70-80??)
-Tracy Mcgracy Topps Chrome Rookie Card 97-98

back then they were about $70-$80.. I wonder how much they are now.
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
kazaks
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I have a Yao ming rookie card autographed
I got it outta one of those $45 packs. When he was a rookie it was valued at something like $250.
kazaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
-primetime-

Jordan had many rookie cards made by STAR:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NBA-1985-MINT-SE...QQcmdZViewItem

$3,500 for the whole set
Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

It's a very frustrating hobby for all the reasons that B-Low mentioned. You forgot something though man...........

No more bubble gum in card packs
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

i agree B-Low, it kinda sucks... i have like 50 stromile swift cards and more but i have lost interest because buying packs is too expensive, i buy individual cards on ebay once in a while, that is the only affordable way, but it isnt very exciting.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: