Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
White Chocolate
NBA All-star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
Default Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4270311


Quote:
Cleveland Browns receiver Donte' Stallworth was suspended by the NFL indefinitely without pay following his guilty plea to DUI manslaughter in the death of a pedestrian, the league announced Thursday.

Stallworth was sentenced in a Miami court Tuesday to 30 days in jail, a controversial ruling that drew a great deal of criticism.

Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote a detailed letter to Stallworth explaining the stiff penalty levied by the league.


"The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable," Goodell wrote. "While the criminal justice system has determined the legal consequences of this incident, it is my responsibility as NFL commissioner to determine the appropriate league discipline for your actions, which have caused irreparable harm to the victim and his family, your club, your fellow players and the NFL."


The suspension is effective immediately, but Goodell still plans to schedule a meeting with Stallworth, who signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns last year. But now it appears the team will have no choice but to cut ties with the seven-year veteran.

Stallworth caught 17 passes for 170 yards and one touchdown with the Browns last season.

Stallworth began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday. He also was sentenced to two years of house arrest following his release from jail, and will be on probation for eight years. He had faced 15 years in prison.

The punishment was made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim's family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a Miami construction worker struck and killed early on March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving drunk in his black 2005 Bentley.

But Goodell showed no mercy in the wording of his statement.

"There is no reasonable dispute that your continued eligibility for participation at this time would undermine the integrity of and public confidence in our league," he said.


Goodell does something right for once.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Atomic DOG
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 674
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

yer gay
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,821
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

This is a miscarriage of justice. Donte should be able to play.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,692
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
This is a miscarriage of justice. Donte should be able to play.
pretty sure this is just how they do it. Once his time is served, he'll have a good little boy meeting with the commish and they will make it a more limited suspension. I still bet its at least 8 games.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
White Chocolate
NBA All-star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
pretty sure this is just how they do it. Once his time is served, he'll have a good little boy meeting with the commish and they will make it a more limited suspension. I still bet its at least 8 games.


Funny how Stallworth's suspension may end up being the same as Leonard Little, who's situation was far worse than Stallworth's.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,692
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Funny how Stallworth's suspension may end up being the same as Leonard Little, who's situation was far worse than Stallworth's.
yep. league is worried about image and so forth.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Atomic DOG
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 674
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

stallworth is gone for the year.

its entirely possible cleveland would release him then before the start of the following season.

stallworth's career is in danger. the dude definitely is screwed.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Atomic DOG
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 674
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Funny how Stallworth's suspension may end up being the same as Leonard Little, who's situation was far worse than Stallworth's.


i dont think little was as well known at the time of his incident nor was the story covered as prominently.

the NFL isnt doing this to punish stallworth, its doing it to protect its image against the indignant and outraged who already have one hand hovering anxiously over the picket signs.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
White Chocolate
NBA All-star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
i dont think little was as well known at the time of his incident nor was the story covered as prominently.

the NFL isnt doing this to punish stallworth, its doing it to protect its image against the indignant and outraged who already have one hand hovering anxiously over the picket signs.


Little's popularity is irrelevant. He killed an innocent women while drunk. Unlike Stallworth, the victim was at no fault. Little still played after that. There is also a good chance Michael Vick will play again. I'm not defending Stallworth by any means, but what he did was no worse than the other two.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
White Chocolate
NBA All-star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
stallworth is gone for the year.

its entirely possible cleveland would release him then before the start of the following season.

stallworth's career is in danger. the dude definitely is screwed.


Not likely. Little still played, Vick will probably play again, and I expect Stallworth to be with another team at some point.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Atomic DOG
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 674
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Little's popularity is irrelevant. He killed an innocent women while drunk. Unlike Stallworth, the victim was at no fault. Little still played after that. There is also a good chance Michael Vick will play again. I'm not defending Stallworth by any means, but what he did was no worse than the other two.


shut up, you're gay.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,821
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Little's popularity is irrelevant. He killed an innocent women while drunk. Unlike Stallworth, the victim was at no fault. Little still played after that. There is also a good chance Michael Vick will play again. I'm not defending Stallworth by any means, but what he did was no worse than the other two.
The media environment and the precedent's set by this commissioner are totally different than what Little face. The mistake that Roger Goodell made was kowtowing to the constantly outraged portion of the NFL. Paul Tagliabue knew that no one who mattered was actually going to stop watching, or doing buisness with the NFL. My main man Paul, would have issued a fine, and move on.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
White Chocolate
NBA All-star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
shut up, you're gay.


Suck a d!ck J$.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
White Chocolate
NBA All-star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
The media environment and the precedent's set by this commissioner are totally different than what Little face. The mistake that Roger Goodell made was kowtowing to the constantly outraged portion of the NFL. Paul Tagliabue knew that no one who mattered was actually going to stop watching, or doing buisness with the NFL. My main man Paul, would have issued a fine, and move on.


Comparing Goodell and Tagliabue, even with Goodell's "zero tolerance policy", are players on their best behavior?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,821
Default Re: Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Comparing Goodell and Tagliabue, even with Goodell's "zero tolerance policy", are players on their best behavior?
Of course not. Brandon Marshall would be engaged in the same f*ckery no matter who the commish is.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy