Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #16
ROCSteady
One of One

Default Re: Espy's: Best team of 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive
How do you figure, when the Hurricanes beat the Bruins who had the second most points in the NHL (and the #1 seed in the east). The Pens were just on a roll after beating the Caps..

Umm did you watch any of that series?? It was pretty evident that Carolina had to expend themselves totally just to make it a game. They still got swept.

In the NHL, playoff matchups really have nothing to do with points during the regular season. Pittsburgh certainly deserved to win during the playoffs, and they were trash for parts of the regular season.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
White Chocolate
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
Penguins... When are the Maple Leafs going to make the playoffs??? Its been too long.

Florida(2000), Los Angeles(2002), and Phoenix(2002) all have longer slumps. You have had only 1 losing season in the last 10 years. Stop complaining. My team went 9 years without a winning season or a playoff appearance.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Florida(2000), Los Angeles(2002), and Phoenix(2002) all have longer slumps. You have had only 1 losing season in the last 10 years. Stop complaining. My team went 9 years without a winning season or a playoff appearance.

Ya, but 4 (?) seasons without making the playoffs sucks.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
White Chocolate
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Ya, but 4 (?) seasons without making the playoffs sucks.

So does 9 years. I know what it's like. But for the last 10 years, you guys have been one of the better teams in the league. Even in 2 of the years you didn't make the playoffs, you still had 40 wins/90 points. No shame in that.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #20
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Penguins had the much tougher finals series. Detroit with home ice? Winning game 7 in the motor city? That is most impressive.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #21
White Chocolate
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Penguins had the much tougher finals series. Detroit with home ice? Winning game 7 in the motor city? That is most impressive.

Last team to win game 7 in Detroit was the Sharks in '94. Very difficult thing to do.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #22
tian820
College star

Should include college teams too. UNC was dominant all year, expected to win it all and actually lived up to expectation. Out of those 4 though, Lakers probably take it
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #23
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tian820
Should include college teams too. UNC was dominant all year, expected to win it all and actually lived up to expectation. Out of those 4 though, Lakers probably take it

Pretty sure it does, at least used to. I remember UConn winning it one year.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #24
Positive
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Umm did you watch any of that series?? It was pretty evident that Carolina had to expend themselves totally just to make it a game. They still got swept.

In the NHL, playoff matchups really have nothing to do with points during the regular season. Pittsburgh certainly deserved to win during the playoffs, and they were trash for parts of the regular season.

Uh yeah, I did I'm a pens fan. It's no different from a team that has bad matchups in basketball. An example here would be the Cavs and Magic, the Cavs lost because they didnt have an answer for Shard/Turk/Dwight. The pens just matched up better against the Hurricanes. Basing your conclusions on a team from one series is completely retarded and illogical.
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
canadianballer
Banned

why would a college team be a best team of a year. thats retarted
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #26
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
D: Los Angeles Lakers > 65-17, Defeated Orlando Magic 4-1 in Nba Finals

homer pick-phillies

objective pick-lakers
The Fakers would've got stomped (again) by the Celtics had Garnett been healthy, so take this with a grain of salt.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianballer
why would a college team be a best team of a year. thats retarted

What's "retarted" is your Michigan education.

I'm surprised someone like Jay who's lived there all his life can even grasp what the concept of a word is.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Also, I'm partial to hockey, but I go Pens. I don't think non-hockey fans truly grasp how ridiculous it is to beat a dynasty team like Detroit in their own building in Game 7. The last game the two teams played there, Pitt looked like an ECHL team against the NHL All-Stars. Last year it wasn't even fair. The Wings are one of the best run franchises in professional sports, and the Penguins weren't even in the playoffs until late in the year when they got hot. Knocking off a team as good, skilled, and more importantly, revered, as the Wings, was a monstrous upset.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I'll go with UNC.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive
Uh yeah, I did I'm a pens fan. It's no different from a team that has bad matchups in basketball. An example here would be the Cavs and Magic, the Cavs lost because they didnt have an answer for Shard/Turk/Dwight. The pens just matched up better against the Hurricanes. Basing your conclusions on a team from one series is completely retarded and illogical.

I'm not saying the Pens aren't deserving as a great team. Jus saying I think it diminished their run a little by playing such lukewarm competition in the Conference finals. Ideally, each progressive round should bring more obstacles, tougher opposition. You could argue that the Lakers played a depleted Rockets team to a 7 game finale, yet that was the second round. Their run in the Championship rounds put them against teams that were much more worthy opponenets. The Red Wings >> the Magic, but the Hurricanes provided for such an anticlimatic series that it seemed to go right from the Capitals to the Cup Finals without much of a battle.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: