Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

Default The #1 Killer In The World.

Dirty Water.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34927

4,000 children per day. Mind boggling.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
vapid
Paranoid Android

Default Re: The #1 Killer In The World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
Dirty Water.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34927

4,000 children per day. Mind boggling.
Well, its the various diseases that the water carries that actually kills. So if you couple these numerous diseases' killcounts with the necessity for water its a very reasonable result.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

All true but the fact remains that is should be regulated that all humans have access to clean water. I'm not sure if it was this study but over 1 billion people don't have access to clean water. That's unreal.

I read another study this evening that 135 million people could die by 2020.

http://www.pacinst.org/reports/water...ths_report.pdf
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
FG20
Keep em Seperated

Quote:
All true but the fact remains that is should be regulated that all humans have access to clean water. I'm not sure if it was this study but over 1 billion people don't have access to clean water. That's unreal.

Its a fact that is extremely unpopular, but america has a certain "I dont really care about starving children in Africa right now" mentality... I dont care that most people dont have access to clean water... I dont care that children die every day from easily preventable diseases or simply waste away from want of food.

Show me a picture or try to open my eyes to the horrors that are going on and I may actually care, but quite honestly awareness is not the american way. We are happy, we are healthy, we are fed... let the other buggers fend for themselves. Its rough, but our stewardship and moral obligation to step in (which has incidently had holes shot through it now due to near criminal misuse) seems to always be our neighbors and our governments issue. Even the better off americans are looked to sholder the blame before the avg. middle class man will do somthing as is obviously the case.

Go ahead, ask me if I have any empathy at all for the nameless statistics...

FG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I heard bed bugs were making a comeback. Seriously.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Atomic DOG
Banned

Quote:

i hear "the world should" this or "everyone should get" that all the time, usually it comes from people who dont really help the cause themselves, just want to see other people's money thrown at it.

marlo the peace corps is ALWAYS taking volunteers. or if you dont want to make a full commitment i think you could just volunteer 2 or 3 times a year to go on missions to african and central america and asia to do work. one person helping out can make a tremendous differnce.

so, tell us what you mean by "it should be regulated that all humans have clean water.." Do you mean everyone, yourself included, should be forced to go volunteer some man power to get these problems fixed, or do you just mean that some people - probably not you tho - should be forced to pony up some of their money to fix the worldwide epidemic?

i'm just curious.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG20
Its a fact that is extremely unpopular, but america has a certain "I dont really care about starving children in Africa right now" mentality... I dont care that most people dont have access to clean water... I dont care that children die every day from easily preventable diseases or simply waste away from want of food.

Show me a picture or try to open my eyes to the horrors that are going on and I may actually care, but quite honestly awareness is not the american way. We are happy, we are healthy, we are fed... let the other buggers fend for themselves. Its rough, but our stewardship and moral obligation to step in (which has incidently had holes shot through it now due to near criminal misuse) seems to always be our neighbors and our governments issue. Even the better off americans are looked to sholder the blame before the avg. middle class man will do somthing as is obviously the case.

Go ahead, ask me if I have any empathy at all for the nameless statistics...

America doesn't even have the highest standard of living... yet it's always Americas job to save everyone these days.

I wonder who has invested more resources into stopping hunger and AIDS in Africa; the US, or all of Europe combined?

I'm guessing the US has put up more resources than all of the European Nations combined. I won't even get into the Asian and Middle Eastern countries. What is China (the new world superpower) doing for hunger and AIDS in Africa? My guess, nothing.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Atomic DOG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
America doesn't even have the highest standard of living... yet it's always Americas job to save everyone these days.

Marlostanfield says:

You're damn right it's Americas job. How can we be an intellectual and progressive society if we're not working out 9-5's every day in order to give it all away to everyone else? People suffering is us greedy, snooty American's problems and if we dont make everyone in the worlds breakfast, we are just a bunch of evil capitalist jerks. Specifically the wealthy. Everyone else gets a pass.

Quote:
I wonder who has invested more resources into stopping hunger and AIDS in Africa; the US, or all of Europe combined?

Marlostanfield says:

Please, Europe is ten times the liberal haven of sophistication and class that dumb America is. Maybe you dont know but Andy Warhol is from Europe. So there you have it. We OWE to it to the world to give much, much more than Europe or anyone else does because we're Americans and we deserve to be hated and hate ourselves and it should be our penance to the world to make things better for everyone else.

Quote:
I'm guessing the US has put up more resources than all of the European Nations combined. I won't even get into the Asian and Middle Eastern countries. What is China (the new world superpower) doing for hunger and AIDS in Africa? My guess, nothing.

Marlostanfield says:

Here, read this. It's the liberal handbook. It states that if you are a nation run by greedy evil white men, then you are not worthy of being part of civilization. But if you absolutely have to be, then you are required to serve all the hundred plus nations who arent as rich as you. IT's a duty and obligation to serve them. You give 1 billion to Africa to fight AIDS? Pathetic. Your GDP is in the trillions. You should be forkin over at least 900 billion. The human body could live off 4 or 5 pieces of bread and a gallon of water a day. Anything more than that should be given away to other countries.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Thing is in Africa we can't even help them out because their crazy leaders kick out all foreign aid(look at Zimbabwe, Sudan, etc) I saw a video about the situation in Zimbabwe they forced basically all foreign aid to leave so then the water got contaminated and now people die from drinking the dirty water. All they needed to do is cross the border and buy some chemicals to clean but they didn't...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: